Official New York Spring Meet 5.2.15 Impressions
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 4, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #46 of 116
  You know I am.  :)  This my first set of high end headphones.  They work well my STX sound card.  I just ordered a Little Dot MK III for even more fun.

Sorry about your Wallet!

May 4, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #47 of 116
Although the HE1000 wins at the frequency extremes of air and sub bass "feel",

For me, the nod goes to the Ether at having some excellent realistic mids and before the meet I was of the assumption that it was probably a bit overpriced,
but now I must conceed I am very surprised at just how good the ether is.
It portrays the music with great realism and I also should point out that it is not spectacular with every setup.
That's a trait the hd800 has and is the price you pay for transparency..

But you put a good amp & dac on this baby and you wont feel no "upgridis effect" for a long time.

Excellent addition to a hd800 Stable
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks a lot for your feedback, you probably saved me $1500. 
wink.gif

May 4, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #48 of 116
Great Meet! I hadnt been to one since the one at Grado labs in 2002. I also met again one of the members i chatted with at the first meet in 2002, Gopher. Thanks to the organizers.

My favorite listen was the he6 driven by the lampizator and a headphone amp i dont remember the name of. The greatest aspect for me was realizing, that i can enjoy what i have and dont have any need to upgrade presently
Thanks again
Nik

May 4, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #49 of 116
This was the first meet for my wife and I.  I'd like to personally thank bozebuttons for organizing such a fantastic event and doing such a wonderful job as host.  I'd also like to extend a very warm thank you to all of the awesome vendors, all of whom were beyond gracious with their time, their conversation, their expertise, and, of course, their awesome gear.  

We were truly appreciative of how inclusive and accepting all of the attendees were...Thanks for showing us the ropes and educating us as we circled the room.  It has been said numerous times by many, but the attendees are truly what make these get-togethers as special as they are.
We learned a great deal, made some new friends, and heard a lot of spell-binding gear.  There's a lot of wonderful magic in store for all of us here at Head-fi in the next couple of months.  I'd especially like to point out the great work done by Audio Zenith on the neutral as can be PMx2.

Lastly, I couldn't possibly have written an impressions post without thanking my trooper of a wife, who allowed me to frantically jolt around the room with absolute glee until her eyes were crossing and she could finally take no more.  She hung in there infinitely longer than I had any right to expect :wink:

May 4, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #50 of 116
Hah! Didn't realize Dave/Inner Sanctum was from Brooklyn (as am I) - Yea he was great - he spent a fair amount of time w/ my girlfriend helping her figure out what would work best for her, and it was much appreciated.
Loved my time with Jack Wu also... Was fun chatting and spending sometime with that new woo portable tube amp (I fell in love with that thing).
Finished up my day with the HE-1000.... Good lord.
I started my HE-1000 fund tonight. Might take me a while, but hopefully I'll be able to pull the trigger on the purchase by the end of the summer.
wink.gif
Although... That Mr. Speakers Ether was super impressive too.
Was an awesome meet. Look forward to going to more of these.

Are you tempted by both equally though? If money wasn't an issue would you go with the 1000's?

May 4, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #51 of 116
If money wasn't an issue, I'd get both. :wink:

The Ether sounded great. Absolutely great. But the HE-1000 sounded like a different kind of great. Do you know what I mean? I'm the worst at articulating headphone sound impressions but, the HE-1000 sounded like a much richer experience. There seemed to be more emotional impact to what I was hearing. It was more substantial.
None of that is to take anything away from the Ether. If I didn't already have a pair of LCD-2s, I might be looking for a set of Ethers. They're certainly lighter and thus more comfortable. Without having done a side-by-side listen, and going solely off memory, I might even have liked the Ether sound better then the LCD-2s.

I'm sure there's also some thing to say for the fact that the Ether was the first can I tried that day, and the HE-1000 was my last. Those last impressions linger... Especially when those impressions are of something like the HE-1000s.

May 4, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #52 of 116
Great Meet! I hadnt been to one since the one at Grado labs in 2002. I also met again one of the members i chatted with at the first meet in 2002, Gopher. Thanks to the organizers.

My favorite listen was the he6 driven by the lampizator and a headphone amp i dont remember the name of. The greatest aspect for me was realizing, that i can enjoy what i have and dont have any need to upgrade presently
Thanks again
Nik

The Amp was the Wells audio Headtrip.

May 4, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #53 of 116
Thanks so much to Tom for pulling this all together.

I was so happy to see friends, vendors and fellow DIY'ers.

I was also happy to see so many first timers. Really enjoyed the conversations.

I spent most of my time as usual catching up with folks, but did get a chance to try a few things out. I just loved to the look of the new HE-1000's. The sound seemed great, but want to spend some time with them in a more quite setting. I'd love to compare these to the Ethers'. I could easily hear the fundamental differences, but need a lot more time to do some real A/Bing. Looking forward to that.

I enjoyed my time at Jack's table (Woo). I love the new mini. Very cool concept.

Thanks to Aaron for your praise. You humble me. Also, thanks to Larry for making me laugh through most of the auction :D

Can't wait for the fall meet. Maybe have something new by then.

May 5, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #56 of 116
Im pretty sure I can bring my hd700 setup to fall meet.
Hopefully the date for fall meet wonn't overlap with midterms in my college..
Im doing some comparing with hd650 on classics music (mozart sonata/requiem and symphony) and sound very promising to me.

May 5, 2015 at 4:50 AM Post #57 of 116
I truly enjoyed the event and that was my first Head Fi event.

I was so impressed with the Hifiman HE-1000 Cans and that powerful amp. The Mr. Speakers Ether was also very nice. The most interesting product was that amp that Vinny (Red Wine Audio).

Rock on.

Liz

May 5, 2015 at 8:15 AM Post #58 of 116
If money wasn't an issue, I'd get both. :wink:

The Ether sounded great. Absolutely great. But the HE-1000 sounded like a different kind of great. Do you know what I mean? I'm the worst at articulating headphone sound impressions but, the HE-1000 sounded like a much richer experience. There seemed to be more emotional impact to what I was hearing. It was more substantial.
None of that is to take anything away from the Ether. If I didn't already have a pair of LCD-2s, I might be looking for a set of Ethers. They're certainly lighter and thus more comfortable. Without having done a side-by-side listen, and going solely off memory, I might even have liked the Ether sound better then the LCD-2s.

I'm sure there's also some thing to say for the fact that the Ether was the first can I tried that day, and the HE-1000 was my last. Those last impressions linger... Especially when those impressions are of something like the HE-1000s.
Thanks mate.

May 5, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #59 of 116
  Th Zana Deux also was special with the hd800 and really impressed with the HE100.

I'd love to hear more about this pairing since I own a ZD and I've already resigned myself to the idea of buying a new amp for the HE1000s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back