Official New York Spring Meet 5.2.15 Impressions
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #16 of 116
Hi Max,

I have a quick question for you. 

Which headphones has the most forward mids between the Ether and the HE-1000 ?

I'm trying to decide if I should go with the Ether or the HE-1000 and I will probably go with the one that has more emphasis in the 250hz to 3khz.

Thanks!

I know this question was to Max and not me but I will give you my personal opinion anyway. No disrespect to Dan. I believe the Ethers are his best can by a large margin and
I will likely pick up a pair. But i think the HE-1000 is IMO in a diffent league. To me there is better air and separation and deal retrieval while still having a very satisfying and natural bass response. But the HE-1000 will be twice as much as the Ether at $2,999. The Ether is a better value to me , but I think the HE1000 is better in terms of SQ in an absolute sense. Others may disagree. but I like the looks and build quality of the Ether more although I do in fact like I the look of the HE1000, just the Ether more.

One nice thing to note is that while quite expensive, he HE-1000 sounds surprisingly excellent with relatively humble amping.

May 3, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #17 of 116
...Please post pics of your modded Little Dot . It is a real beaut and sounds great to boot...

This one?

@ESL-1​…I merged your 2 posts with this thread.

May 3, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #19 of 116
I know this question was to Max and not me but I will give you my personal opinion anyway. No disrespect to Dan. I believe the Ethers are his best can by a large margin and
I will likely pick up a pair. But i think the HE-1000 is IMO in a diffent league. To me there is better air and separation and deal retrieval while still having a very satisfying and natural bass response. But the HE-1000 will be twice as much as the Ether at $2,999. The Ether is a better value to me , but I think the HE1000 is better in terms of SQ in an absolute sense. Others may disagree. but I like the looks and build quality of the Ether more although I do in fact like I the look of the HE1000, just the Ether more.

One nice thing to note is that while quite expensive, he HE-1000 sounds surprisingly excellent with relatively humble amping.

Thanks for your feedback Colgin.

Do you think that the HE-1000 would be more suitable than the Ether for rock music ?

May 3, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #20 of 116
Hey guys - had a great time yesterday at the meet, I really appreciate all the hospitality as it was great seeing everyone again and meeting others.

Loved hearing all the new stuff, Im always impressed and excited about the great state of the headphone world.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
May 3, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #21 of 116

Who could ask for anything more? A beautiful blue sky, birds singing, type of spring day. Where new life is blooming all around us, and the air smells fresh and clean. A day which also contained an event whose origins sprouted from a deeply rooted hobby that most of us spend inordinate hours/amounts of precious personal time, basking us in joy and solitude.
I’m sure that most of us audio enthusiasts will agree, that the day after a Head-Fi Meet we feel gobs of satiation, satisfaction and yes, we feel whole once again, and our dusty wallets need a refill. Good times with good friends. Precious memories.

A meet is nothing without the attendees and most of all, a wonderfully talented, well balanced host. We couldn’t get either of those things, so we settled for us, and Tom (Bozebuttons)! Well, we can always hope for next year 
smile.gif

Also, equally as important, I send a special shout out and thanks to Jude and his wonderfully handsome moderating crew, for the small fact that without Jude and his “from whence it came” vision and forum aptly named “Head-Fi”, we would never be here having some much gosh dern fun. We should never forget that.

I walked in with wife (BrownieLady) and son (Jazz) in tow and entering the hall was like seeing a glowing light and walking into the gates of heaven. There was a tube-like glow at the doorway, and the smell of burning silicon in the air. An enthusiast walks into a meet, like a kid entering a candy store, not knowing which candy to try first, or which friend to kick tires and tell tales with. Everytime I go to a meet, I have a master plan on how I am going to start my plan of attack, but it never quite works out that way, because “like being in the Mafia” you get sucked back in and do your best to hold on for the ride, traversing the waves until the ocean of audio spews you out on the shoreline when it is finished with you, or the clock says it’s time to leave. “Please mom, can’t I just stay a little more? I’ll be good, I promise” 
wink.gif

So I went in and walked right over to the Inner Sanctum table and the gang from “Turdy Turd and Turd” in Brooklyn. Fuhgettiboutit!
They had a wonderful lineup of headphone products, most of which I’ve touched previously, but there was a pair of Master & Dynamic circumaural headphones that caught my eye. I listened to Fleetwood Mac’s “The Chain” because I love to compare Stevie Nicks’ howling in the last 1/3rd of the song to evaluate a components soundstage potential. The headphone was $399 and sounded good. I had one nitpick about it, that the bass was a little dark and congested, but I don’t know how many hours it had on it. That usually goes away in 200 hours on a properly made headphone.

Next, I walked over to my good friends and helpful audiophiles Andre (AOmega X) and Jamal (Herueyes). AOmega X is a true Head-Fier and he had a string of delicacies that were all banded together and I dare try to explain the setup. I can say that I listened to Andre’s Oppo HA-1 and then the same passage on his highly modded Decware Zen TorII MkIII (sp?) amp and then never looked back. They are $500 apart from each other, but AOmega X has a keeper on his hands (after 25 more attempts at passionate modding, of course
evil_smiley.gif
).

I spy with my eye, Vinnie Rossi and his lovely wife over at the Red Wine Audio table. Vinnie was exhibiting his latest vision and creation, the RWA Lio. You have to realize that Vinnie’s full time job is not an amp builder, he does that to pay the bills. His full time job is to be a genius and visionary, creating new paths for future generations of amp builders to follow. He sees things that us mere mortals can even possibly conceive of, and puts them into metals and components. He has always been on the leading edge track of building components that run off the grid and, he has taken that to infinity and beyond with the Lio. One listen will have you say, “now I know what he is talking about…wow”. I paired them with the very impressive Mr. Speakers “Ether” Planar Magnetic headphones, and they proved to be a pleasant match. I’m sure that there will be many write-ups about the Ethers in all of the meet threads, so I digress.
I will continue with part 2 later (I want to go out and enjoy that beautiful spring air that I was talking about), but I feel compelled to end with commenting on “Hail, the Almighty Kerry” and his latest creation.
Kerry is my favorite mad scientist, EVAHHH! He surely comes from another planet, one that is filled with minds that we will never understand. He is on a constant road, which perpetually challenges his own intellect to build it smaller, better, and cooler. For those who don’t know my buddy Kerry, he is a Manhattan-ite who builds his own one-off amps on his Manhattan apartment terrace and a small room that was once known as “his wife’s dining room table”. Besides a table and a fire extinguisher, Kerry has an awesome array of jigs and lathes and new world ideas that Elan at Tesla wishes he had. Kerry has been working with Dr. Gilmore’s designs building off-shoots of the Blue Hawaii and T2 and KGSS. Everyone has been different and better and more innovative. This is a hobby for him, he does not wish to sell his amps.
I listen to Kerry’s latest project (which was finished 15 minutes before leaving for the meet, as are all of his iterations). This was a single box version of the KGST with chassis completely milled and assembled by him, much to his wife’s dismay. Very low heat dissipation and butter soft sound that is as smooth as Barbra Streisand’s legs “Like buttah”! I listened to the “Big Phat Band”, Sing Sang Sung, on his Stax O2’s which are too bleh! for me and am looking forward to sticking an SR-009 on that puppy. Great album by the way. Great amp. No ifs, ands, and or buts! He is one person that you never really say "Keep your day job", to. It is an honor to share ideas and napkin drawn schematics with.

Pics to follow and a lot more 0’s and 1’s-
Everything is IMHO and YMMV, of course…

May 3, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #22 of 116
Hey immtbiker thanks for the pic as I was too busy listening at other members amps & headphones to even take pic for myself lol.

Hi Max,

I have a quick question for you. 

Which headphones has the most forward mids between the Ether and the HE-1000 ?

I'm trying to decide if I should go with the Ether or the HE-1000 and I will probably go with the one that has more emphasis in the 250hz to 3khz.

Thanks!

That is actually a kind of easy question.

Although the HE1000 wins at the frequency extremes of air and sub bass "feel",

For me, the nod goes to the Ether at having some excellent realistic mids and before the meet I was of the assumption that it was probably a bit overpriced,
but now I must conceed I am very surprised at just how good the ether is.
It portrays the music with great realism and I also should point out that it is not spectacular with every setup.
That's a trait the hd800 has and is the price you pay for transparency..

But you put a good amp & dac on this baby and you wont feel no "upgridis effect" for a long time.

Excellent addition to a hd800 Stable
:)

May 3, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #23 of 116
Hey guys - had a great time yesterday at the meet, I really appreciate all the hospitality as it was great seeing everyone again and meeting others.

Loved hearing all the new stuff, Im always impressed and excited about the great state of the headphone world.

Thanks so very much for making such a great set of cans available for the auction.

The same goes for everyone else who did the same.

May 3, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #25 of 116
Just want to give a shoutout To all the vendors for the  support &  generous donations to the not so silent auction,as well as the members who also donated gear.

Also to the members who bid & made the auction succsesfull and that more then covered the cost of the venue plus extra to  help fund the next meet.

Thanks to speedracer (tom) for running power cords & helping with the auction.

Last but not least the members who attended Thanks for coming ,I hope you had a great time.I know I did.

Post those impressions to let others who where not able to attend to enjoy.

May 3, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #26 of 116
There was a lot of great stuff there, so much that although I stayed for a few hours, I didn't nearly get to everything. I'll have to get there earlier next time!

I especially enjoyed HeadAmp's table, they had a lot of great stuff to sample and for someone that's never been to a meet before, it was nice to have a lot of highlights there at once to compare. The SR-009's driven by the Blue Hawaii were fantastic!

I also enjoyed meeting Julie Glick and trying out some high end IEMs. I think demoing them was the best sound I got, since the isolation helps cut above the ambient volume in the room.

The MrSpeakers Ether was great to listen to, and very comfortable to boot. Excellent job on those.

At the auction, I can't believe the prices that some of the stuff went for! I'll have to go with a fatter wallet next year and some idea of something I'd want to get. Some great deals were had, and the vendors donated some really cool stuff.

Overall, there was a great atmosphere in there and everybody was friendly, welcoming, and polite to each other. Good stuff guys.

May 3, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #27 of 116
First, good to see you and thanks much Tom for all your effort to pull the meet together…much appreciated!

It was great seeing familiar faces again and to associate other live faces with forum handles.

Memorable vendor visits:
  1. Inner Sanctum Audio. Dave, the Grand Poobah, was very accommodating and friendly. He offers a really diverse selection of excellent of headphones, and to top it off, ISA is local (Brooklyn).
  2. I was also very impressed with the smooth and balanced sound of the PMx2, a TOTL over ear based on the Oppo PM-2 that Audio Zenith (another start up) was demonstrating at their table.
  3. Also, wish I had been able to listen to the MrSpeakers Ether and the HiFiMan HE-1000.

The standout for me at this meet was the sound of DutchGFX’s homemade tube amp matched with his LCD-2s. It’s his own design, hand built as part of a school project and completed just in time for the meet. Great accomplishment, Tyler! You have a great future ahead of you in electrical engineering!

Last but not least a special call out to Jimmy (thegunner100). Congrats on your upcoming graduation from SUNY Stony Brook later this month. Best of luck in your career pursuits!

beerchug.gif

May 3, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #28 of 116
I'm very happy that I attended yesterday's meet and first of all want to thank Tom for organizing it. I was able to hear and compare Mr Speakers Ether to my Max134 nodded HD800 with 4 different amps and while I didn't like how bass was presented with super expensive WA5 (worst pairing for me) and Ragnarok (better but still a little too much bass) , they were shining with Cavali Liquid Crimson while using Yggdrasil Dac. They also sounded great with Vinnie Rossi's LIO with both RVC plus tubes module as well as AVC volume control. So for me Ether are my next and hopefully last endgame headphones. Next highlight was new ZMF prototype of semi-open headphones. Third was surprise how great AKG K7XXX sound with Scott's Cavali EHHA rev A amp. I also heard He-1000 but they had too much mid bass and while they look beautiful and have great build quality I'm not paying twice the money, also the leak a lot

May 3, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #29 of 116
Thanks again to Tom for organizing, I had a blast! It was really nice getting to talk to all of you guys, which is primarily what I spent my time doing. I didn't get a chance to talk to all the vendors, which kind of sucks, since they are all awesome. However, I did get a chance to listen to a few things...

Ether: Incredible. Really nice, natural timbre. Broad yet intimate soundstage, really clean sounding. I wanted to try em on my amp but I didn't get a chance. Dan is always a pleasure to talk to and I was thoroughly impressed with his Alpha dogs at previous meets, and his Ether did not disappoint.

Zana Deux: Eh. I had really high expectations for this amp, and I was really looking forward to testing it out. It didn't really do too much for me honestly. It was fine, nothing wrong, but it didn't live up to the expectations I had. I can recall that the DNA Stratus and Sonnett were some of the best sounding amps I have heard with the HD800, and I expected the Eddie Current stuff to perform similarly, but it didn't.

Decaware: The gear gets pretty hot, which is kind of concerning, but sounds really nice. I was pleasantly surprised by the sweet sound they produced, considering I heard they were pretty dark. They sounded really nice and open and they really look sleek. I'm not sure why they use tube rectifiers but I guess that is a personal preference.

Woo: Jack is always entertaining and friendly. After explaining the WA8 to me, he said "it's travel HiFi, not a toy." and I think he is 100% correct. It sounds really nice and clearly has enough power for the HD700 which isn't the easiest headphone to drive quite frankly. The WA5 is an endgame amp that hopefully I can purchase one day. The WA5, Cavalli Liquid Glass, and the Stratus  are the best sounding amps I have heard that aren't named WA234. A few meets ago I got to try the K1000 on Frank's WA5 and it was pretty special. I love Jack's products and I don't think I have ever felt that any of his products was unimpressive, apart from when I tried the HE5LE on the WA6, because the HE5LE is ridiculous to drive and it wasn't really a fair amp to test it on.

Srx-Mk3 Pro: Really natural sounding. Small soundstage, but really nice for an intimate setting. The acoustic guitar reproduction was spot on. They were very open which made it hard to get a really good listen, but I found myself at Joe's table a few times to listen when I could since they sounded so nice. Joe is a great guy and I hope you all had the chance to talk to him.

EHHA: Mullet always has interesting projects going on and I really enjoyed talking to him about all stuff DIY, including the new DAC project that he is going to work on. He is trying to get me into digital stuff, so I think I am going to have to build a DAC next. His EHHA was very impressive sounding. It uses a tube input stage with some CCS, and then solid state for the output. It sounds really nice. It has the punch of a solid state amp, but without the sharp treble that often accompanies transistor designs. 

Aursonics : While I didn't listen to any IEMs, since I actually don't like IEMs, I talked to the guys from Aursonics for a while and they were extremely friendly. One of them kept making fun of my laziness in not adding a volume knob to my amp, and the fact that I didn't take the time to wire a power switch even though I have one attached to my inlet (which I actually wired this morning, fyi!) which was pretty funny. It was really nice talking to them and if I ever need IEMs, I would feel more than comfortable dealing with them. 

It was really a great meet and I appreciate everyone who listened to my amp and gave me feedback (no pun intended, my amp doesn't use any feedback at all actually :p) but seriously I appreciate it. I can't wait to see you all next meet!

Keep the impressions coming!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back