OFFICIAL NEW YORK CITY MEET. Saturday Nov 13th Impressions Thread
Nov 17, 2004 at 1:52 PM Post #121 of 151
Quote:

I am the geeky nerdy looking person in those pics.

Well, that certainly narrows it down - NOT!
tongue.gif

Nov 17, 2004 at 3:13 PM Post #123 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
Well, that certainly narrows it down - NOT!
tongue.gif

Exactly what I was thinking. I don't see anyone that looks any geekier than anyone else in any of those pictures. Must be because I'm a geek, too.
biggrin.gif

Nov 17, 2004 at 5:38 PM Post #124 of 151
If it ever transpires, I would love to get to US for one of these meets. It would be wonderful to meet all you guys and check out the gear.
Of course, one can also meet the people who keep our wallets running dry ( Mikhail and Ray and the many other builders who do a stellar job of making such great gear.)

BTW, I must congratulate Mikhail for making a concerted effort to build his ams around PCB's. This has returned my interest to the Singlepower line of amps and also goes to show that he is trying to please us guys here
I think the PCB looks gr8 and was from the looks of it loaded with some quality components. Well Done!

Nov 17, 2004 at 8:02 PM Post #125 of 151
I thought I would post an email response from Xin after I found out the SuperMacro might have some technical issues.

Quote:

Erik,
The one you have should have the issues. Two issues: 1) the
4-batt/8-batt switch causes strange behaves, even if you use DC power.
2) back plane contacts. These two problem could go together and make
thing even worse. I realized these issues but I did not have enough time
to deal with them. They do not happen all the time, just sometimes.

For 1), I have removed the 4-batt/8-batt automatic switch; so no more
that problem. For 2), I have improved the contacts.

For those of us that spent some time comparing the SuperMacro to the SR-71 (or anything else for that matter) this may have some bearing on what we heard. If the amp did have issues, then perhaps we were not hearing its true potential. Considering I found the sound quality very close to the SR-71, this could mean the SuperMacro could really be something special, a real giant killer. If however, the amp was functioning properly, then our evaluation was what you would expect. A very respectable sound, that's just slightly less refined than an amp costing approximately $150 more. The only way to be sure would be to get another model that has these issues corrected and try to do the test again.

Nov 17, 2004 at 8:19 PM Post #126 of 151
i know the whole name tag idea sounds really geeky, but there are 2 good things about it
1) we ARE geeks already so name tag is not gonna change anything
2) its really hard to remember 30 names plus all the cans, amps, blah blah blah. i think its kind of rude to ask a person for their name more then once, so name tags will help everyone from being rude and from telling people your name 50 times.
so for the next meet i will probly wear a tag with my name.

Nov 17, 2004 at 8:25 PM Post #127 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlacker
i know the whole name tag idea sounds really geeky, but there are 2 good things about it
1) we ARE geeks already so name tag is not gonna change anything
2) its really hard to remember 30 names plus all the cans, amps, blah blah blah. i think its kind of rude to ask a person for their name more then once, so name tags will help everyone from being rude and from telling people your name 50 times.
so for the next meet i will probly wear a tag with my name.

1)Speak for yourself Master Slacker!
tongue.gif

Actually, I guess I am a geek. This is a good thing?

2)It's even ruder to keep saying "hey you!"

Really, meech and I discussed nametags. It's just one of those things that slips through the cracks. KR... probably wouldn't have worn his anyway.
tongue.gif

Nov 17, 2004 at 8:38 PM Post #128 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen
1)Speak for yourself Master Slacker!
tongue.gif

Actually, I guess I am a geek. This is a good thing?

erik, of course we are all geeks in some way or another... we have a website meeting! dont you think thats geeky enough?
tongue.gif

Nov 17, 2004 at 8:42 PM Post #129 of 151
yes, that is indeed geeky.

but cool geeky.

but i bet the guard in the closet after we left said "...nerds.
rolleyes.gif
"

Nov 17, 2004 at 8:44 PM Post #130 of 151
Yeah, allright - but when do I get my "headfi pocket protector"?
k1000smile.gif

Nov 17, 2004 at 8:44 PM Post #131 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlacker
erik, of course we are all geeks in some way or another... we have a website meeting! dont you think thats geeky enough?
tongue.gif

I'm just in denial, Albert.
redface.gif

You know what the guard was really saying?

"This thing is supposed to end at 5:00! Why do they all start talking to each other at the end? They've had 5 hours to talk. I'm hungry!"

Nov 17, 2004 at 8:46 PM Post #132 of 151
nerd king checking in,
How bout someone printing out the Head-fi logo (used with permission) on a label sheet to write you name in and given to attendees as they arrive.
That's what was done at another one of these "hobbyist" meets and the required group pic at the end.
Actually, there are a lot of website meetings around from homebrewers to cigar tastings, well until doomberg put the kabash on that. We had cigars and wines that were donated.
everybody knows there would be females at wine tastings but there were just as many at the cigar get togethers. who knew? now on the other nerdier hobbys I'm keeping mum on that.

Nov 17, 2004 at 8:48 PM Post #133 of 151
i wonna see the look on guard's face if we come again. muhahahaha

Nov 17, 2004 at 8:50 PM Post #134 of 151
It was kind of funny that there was a guard there in the first place. Was he there to make sure we didn't trash the place or was he like some kind of concierge?

Nov 17, 2004 at 8:52 PM Post #135 of 151
i think i managed to escape the dreaded cameras and am therefore not photographed

i had a good chat with Jahn (I totally took the petshop boys and avalanches cds) and Jpelg, and various others.

unfortunately i was only there for 2 hrs which sucked but i had other business *coughballandchaincough*

as much as i enjoyed the meet, it's hard to beat taking the girl out on the town.

I was equally impressed with the exhuberence and graciousness of both Mikhail and Ray, the amps obviously speak for themselves but the makers treated me with respect and warmness that most college students don't receive in hifi shops (waddaya want, kid?)

Cheers to everyone and I look forward to the next meet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back