OFFICIAL NEW YORK CITY MEET. Saturday Nov 13th Impressions Thread
Nov 17, 2004 at 8:52 PM Post #136 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen
It was kind of funny that there was a guard there in the first place. Was he there to make sure we didn't trash the place or was he like some kind of concierge?

i was wondering that too, may be there is guard in every apartment? lol

Nov 17, 2004 at 11:12 PM Post #137 of 151
Were we suppose to tip him or anything?
You never know with these full service buildings. How he squished himself into that closet I'll never know. And, why was he guarding the poland spring water?
I've heard that for a while there was a metal detector in the building. Don't know if it was true or not, my nephew went to a little b'day party at one of the apts. and that was mentioned.

Nov 18, 2004 at 12:57 AM Post #138 of 151
Are we talking about Mister Clean, with a suit? He was making sure that the closet was spotless, and that no terrorists were poisoning our water supply.

I have brought up the wearing of "Hello, My name Is" tags, at previous meets.

If we are geeks, we are money spending geeks...and we could definitely take on the jocks who were partying in the apartment at Cardas Meridian Bogden Maestro Omega Mu.

Nov 18, 2004 at 1:16 AM Post #139 of 151
THIS IS MY CLOSET, THERE ARE MANY LIKE IT BUT THIS IS MINE.

I WILL PROTECT THE WATER SUPPLY, if there is a cup on the floor your arse is mine ; )

RESPECT MY AUTHORITY. come in the closet, and you are on my turf buddy!

Nov 18, 2004 at 1:31 AM Post #140 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
THIS IS MY CLOSET, THERE ARE MANY LIKE IT BUT THIS IS MINE.

I WILL PROTECT THE WATER SUPPLY, if there is a cup on the floor your arse is mine ; )

RESPECT MY AUTHORITY. come in the closet, and you are on my turf buddy!

HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!

Nov 18, 2004 at 3:48 PM Post #141 of 151
LOL! I am literally laughing out loud from all the posts.

Classic!

Nov 19, 2004 at 7:08 PM Post #142 of 151
Now that it's been more than a week, here's my list of things I wish I heard, but didn't get a chance to:

1) Any of the Headroom amps.

2)Sennheiser HD25-1

3)That modded Sonica.

4)Oh yeah. SUPERMONO.

5)The HR-2.

6)K1000 through the Dared Monoblocks.

7)R10s again. Just for pleasure.

And the comparos that never happened:

1)Top of the line Solid State Shootout! Line em up!

2)Solo versus any of the tube amps! Bring it on!

3)Tushi versus the other Toshibas! Banzai!

4)SR-71 versus all the other portables, including the SM, the Portaphiles, etc.

Nov 19, 2004 at 11:06 PM Post #143 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen
It was kind of funny that there was a guard there in the first place. Was he there to make sure we didn't trash the place or was he like some kind of concierge?

I think he was a concierge, he seemed to be adding soap to the bathroom at one point.
Now, I feel bad, he really should have been tipped. Well, we'll just have to make it up to him at the spring meet. (hinthintnudgenudge)
tongue.gif

Nov 20, 2004 at 12:02 AM Post #144 of 151
Don't worry guys. I DID tip him at the end of the meet. I actually found out that someone would be there with us for the entire meet a few days beforehand. I knew that whoever that someone was, they would have to be tipped so I was already prepared.

Quote:

Originally Posted by raisin
I think he was a concierge, he seemed to be adding soap to the bathroom at one point.
Now, I feel bad, he really should have been tipped. Well, we'll just have to make it up to him at the spring meet. (hinthintnudgenudge)
tongue.gif

Nov 20, 2004 at 1:01 AM Post #146 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker
Meech,
So you were tipped about the tip? That's so tip-ical
cool.gif

lol,,,,,,,,,,,,good one !

Nov 20, 2004 at 1:38 AM Post #148 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by KR...
The big guy looked bored and perhaps rethinking his career choice
wink.gif

OH GOD NO,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,please don't call that a career !!

Nov 20, 2004 at 4:52 PM Post #150 of 151
I just wanted to thank Meech and Erikzen for putting this together. I spent more time talking to old friends than listening to gear, I've got to admit.

The Benchmark DAC 1 more than held it's own with the Ack! dAck! Stevieo is going to be auditioning one, so we'll be able to do more controlled comparisons.

Ray's phono amp was not hooked up, but if it lives up to its potential, it's going to be a good one. This has all of the features I've been looking for in a phono amp, especially the ability to independently load resistance and capacitance for low output moving coils.

Mikhail showed the circuit board for the new PPX-3. It's a truly high quality board, with lots of space and large traces needed for tube applications, and a true star-grounding scheme. I need to hear the board version amp in my own rig to see if he's managed to match the point-to-point version sonically. I think he might have done it (to be honest, I wasn't sure that he, or anybody else, could have matched the sound of his p2p amps on a board). However, that little amp sounded great. If the initial impression holds up, I haven't heard any amps in its price range that can compete with it sonically.

Meech's Dared monoblocks sounded great with the K-1000. Stevieo, having gone completely out of control, now has a pair of these, so I'll be able to do hear them in more detail. (Stevieo's buying spree is saving me a lot of money right now
wink.gif
)

As always, the best part of the meet was talking to old friends, and making new ones. It was great seeing everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back