OFFICIAL New Jersey (East Hanover) meet thread, July 26th
Jul 16, 2008 at 6:55 PM Post #121 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
would give 25 people 2' 2" each of linear space, and 18" (at least) of depth.

Wow, 2'2". I am not sure my CDP will fit in 2'2" and I know my amp and headphone stand won't fit with it. Anyone want to sell me some real estate?
biggrin.gif

Jul 16, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #122 of 214
That's not square feet, it's linear. Do you really have a CDP that's more than 2' 2" wide?

My best advice is what I've already given out: bring your stuff and park yourself next to someone like me that doesn't need much room.

Jul 17, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #123 of 214
x2 on everything MD1032 said -- bring your stuff (within reason), we will fit it in somehow.

And indeed -- someone bring a Pico so we can do the Pico v Predator bake-off ... first AMP, then DAC.

Conventional wisdom is: Pico wins DAC, Predator wins AMP. What will NJ ears in a blind test determine??

Jul 17, 2008 at 4:09 AM Post #124 of 214
Folks have been asking me about public transportation. Here is what the hotel says on their web site, but I think it is a poor suggestion:

Other Transportation
Bus Station
Morris Plains New Jersey Transit Station (7.3 mi)

Train Station
Convent Station (3.0 mi)

Courtyard by Marriott® Hanover Whippany
157 Route 10 East
Whippany, New Jersey 07981 USA
Phone: 1-973-887-8700

Better alternative, IMO: there is a bus to Whippany (stops right on Rt. 10 -- the schedule says at the Whippany Diner -- 3 minutes from the hotel) which makes much more sense.

The bus to Whippany is by Coach USA -- Coach USA -- it is the #77 from Port Authority,

There is one bus that works well on Saturday ... here is a snip from the #77 schedule:

Weekend 9:15a 10:23a #77

there is one 2 hours later, getting in at 12:23.

They say the stop is at the Whippany Diner, but I just phoned the diner directly and the person who answered says the stop is actually across the street and down a few stores. (And on their side but down a few stores again for the way back to NYC).

We need someone to volunteer running down to the bus stop to pick people up!! We can use cell phones to coordinate, etc.

There's a 2:55, 4:55, 6:55, 8:55 and 10:55 p.m. (yea, I get the pattern) bus back to Post Authority.

Jul 18, 2008 at 5:03 PM Post #127 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by SACD-Man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I refuse to shower!!! You can't make me....

Water balloons. Fear them. You will shower, or we will shower you.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 18, 2008 at 10:13 PM Post #131 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by grbwitt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
grbwitt aka George Witterschein is in for E Hanover/NJ on July 26.

Bringing his custom design/build Ed Duda tube hp amp ---very original one of a kind iron.

Plus cans:
Etymotic ER-4S with some spare new ear-tips for the curious who want to try,
Ultrasone Proline 650 with custom Cardas-wire cable upgrade;

plus unusual digital source feeding Headroom MicroDAC.

I'm excited!
grbwitt aka George Witterschein
smily_headphones1.gif

George IS attending, please add him to the list.
redface.gif

Jul 19, 2008 at 1:59 AM Post #132 of 214
OMG the Beyer HeadZone room simulator arrived, with 880's that have a headtracker attached! Now we can do our own mini-verison of the Can Jam '08 Smyth thing at NJ MEET. But we don't need speakers (HeadZone virtualizes the speakers, at the expense of using an average instead of a custom-measured HRTF).

Didn't know this until I opened the box: S/PDIF input (which is the ONLY input supported) just takes Redbook PCM (and Dolby DVD movie soundtrack formats, but we're doing 2-channel audio here, nothing else!). No high-res!

So we should use a good high-end CD transport with S/PDIF out (RCA not BNC). I see some on the list. I'll throw my cheap Oppo in the trunk just in case nobody wants to use their CDT for the experiments. I've got a decent length Tara Labs 75-ohm cable to bring too (if needed).

Jul 19, 2008 at 2:09 AM Post #133 of 214
This is my first meet (not counting Can Jam). Do people want to do organized experiments, or do I have the culture wrong (i.e., people just want to try everyone's gear one-on-one) ??

Experiments:
=========

1. Beyer HeadZone ... does it work? Need many people's opinion. Much debate in this forum about virtualizers, and this particular device has not been shown in the USA much. Smyth caused a major stir at Can Jam.

2. 250-Ohm 880's vs the brand new 600-Ohm 880's which many believe are a breakthru (I do). Lots of opinions would be great here too.

3. Single blind A/B tests of Pico vs Predator vs iQube vs ? (amp only; also DAC which leaves the iQube out). Again, lots of opinions (blind test results) are needed. As part of this we can also do single blind tests of high-end mini2mini vs generic interconnects.

I think these would all be a blast, and we have all day ... but certainly I am in no position to tell anyone what to do!

The results of all of these would make super threads that we could start, bringing fame and fortune to the NJ CREW. (OK, only fame, no fortune).

Yes? No?

Jul 19, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #134 of 214
Every meet I've ever gone to, we've basically just kinda tried each other's stuff individually. Walk around, listen to one rig, take your CD's to the next rig, try it out, etc.

But yeah, there are always experiments. One fun experiment we did at the first national meet near my table was thoroughly watch my and someone else's iAudio X5L thoroughly TRASH an iPod in terms of sound quality. That was fun.
biggrin.gif

Jul 19, 2008 at 2:27 AM Post #135 of 214
I will be bringing my very low end TT so everyone should bring LPs to play. I have a couple of albums in both ALAC and 128K AAC if we want to A/B those. Although I know that can get pretty controversial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back