Official Klipsch Custom-3 Impressions Thread
Jul 12, 2008 at 11:27 AM Post #46 of 62
i just got my custom3 and they sure are good. i only with them for about an hour, listening for about half an hour. nice, really nice. very balance. the sound is kind of fast, comparing to super fi pro. super fi pro has better soundstage. they kind of sound like a se530(i don't have them, heard them a couple time though) as i'm typing. it's not hard to put them on. and the phone/driver itself is about as small as an um1. i just got this from the soundearphones.com july 4th sale so you know how much i paid and of course i'm satisfy.

Jul 24, 2008 at 8:51 PM Post #47 of 62
I just got these a couple days ago. i think they are very well balanced and if thats what you're looking for, then they are a good choice, especially now that amazon has them for under $230. I don't hear much authority in the Bass, though to be fair, It took my ears a full 2 weeks to adjust to the sound of the E500 which I thought were completely bass anemic at first but later somehow became more full sounding. Go figure

Aug 31, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #48 of 62
I bought these earphones a few weeks before. I have problems with the silicon tips.

The small double flanges are too small for me, the big double flanges are too big. Why a medium size is not existing from this kind?

From the single flange type: the small tips are too small, the big tips are too big for me. With medium tips the right tip is ok, but the left earpice always slides out of my left ear. I can't push it more deep into my ear, because it hurts a little, and it is not so comfortable this way.

My problem is none of the included tips provides enough isolation and comfort for me. I have some other IEMs and i never had this kind of problem.

I know that there is much more in this IEM but I have to find a pair of good foam or silicon tips which fits well in my ear. I saw somewhere that somebody tried this IEM with (maybe Shure's silicon tip) other 3rd parties. Can you help me find where can I buy tips which are compatible with this IEM? Maybe i prefer foam because it provider more isolation, and this is important for me.

I saw that Comply produces foam tips for a lot of earbuds. I asked them about the C3 versin and they said the Comply Foam is under development/testing for the whole Klipsch product line. (I hope it is not a top secret information.
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 1, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #49 of 62
Just experimenting with the earphone, I bought the Shure Black Foam sleeves. If someone has fitting problems with Klipsch Custom 3 then the solution is to buy the Shure Black Foam. Highly recommended.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 23, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #50 of 62
The black foams are more comfortable, but I still can't get the right sound out of these that I feel others are getting. Very strange, given I have had no fit problems with any other IEM

Nov 4, 2008 at 1:49 PM Post #51 of 62
+1 for the custom 3's!

Definitely a HUGE step up from my previous IEM's (sennheiser cx400). Got them for a bargain price too, only $175. Quite warm (just the way I like it), exceptionally detailed, and accurate bass. I initially had an issue with the fit, but replacing the default tips with the large single flange tips did the trick. Looking to get some shure foam tips soon as well to get an even better seal.

Jan 10, 2009 at 6:57 AM Post #52 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azathoth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
+1 for the custom 3's!

Definitely a HUGE step up from my previous IEM's (sennheiser cx400). Got them for a bargain price too, only $175. Quite warm (just the way I like it), exceptionally detailed, and accurate bass. I initially had an issue with the fit, but replacing the default tips with the large single flange tips did the trick. Looking to get some shure foam tips soon as well to get an even better seal.

I got mine at mobile1 for the same price approx $175 after spending a good 1 hour A/B'ing between the se530 demo unit and the KC3. I ended up not being able to justify the price difference (kc3-8xxx<se500-18xxx or se530-26xxx). The se5xx is only marginally better at the highs but I think only because the kc3 has a slightly faster decay which comes across as not being able to reach as high as the se5xx but I think it does reach as high. On the flipside the se5xx can't touch the bass of the kc3. I'm coming from a set of etys which I lost and the bass control on the kc3 is similar only it has lots more presence. Definitely worth the buck. I think it is slightly better than the se420 which I tried in store too. Basswise it's definitely better than both 5xx and 420. My only gripes are the fussy guide wire which always causes it to lose seal if not bent correctly and the flimsy stiff tips. Good thing I still have stock of the Shure olives I used with the etys. Also I think the cable is too thin and has quite some memory and retains the bends and kinks. I'm thinking of how to recable it with twisted cables as well as putting in an online mic for my iPhone. More power guys. It's a PITA to type on the iPhone

Jan 10, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #53 of 62
the cables are bitches. too thin and a little stiff kinks easily and retains it in memory for all the world
the cloth cover's textured surface increased friction so much so that cable microphonics echoes and the memory wire guides seem to have developed a particular liking to the cables and grabs and tangles with it all the time
just my rants
otherwise not a problem to me

:)

Apr 22, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #54 of 62
I picked up a pair of the Custom 3's last week. Not bad for the style but they initially did not do it for me. I tried to like them but they kept coming up short in the sound department..... Fit issues aside. I decided to "burn em in" and I put em on an Isotek disc for about 100 hours. Wow. I listened to them for about 6 hours straight today. Much better!!!!! Far more image and clarity. Separation is much better than the muddy and flat sound I had before. Mabye I got a bad pair to start, but I'm much happier now! I need to try out a set of those Sure Olive pads because I am also having a seal problem....

Apr 23, 2009 at 7:12 AM Post #56 of 62
i really enjoyed the custom 3s but in the end sold them as the microphonics and cable construction in general was prone to kinking and remembering bends. they do sound absolutely terrific tho and if i wasn't on the move so much i would have kept them. when klipsch makes BA IEMs with removable cables i would consider giving them money again. till then, take care of your custom 3 wires and don't wrap them around your ipod!

Jul 8, 2009 at 11:34 AM Post #60 of 62
Just noticed that Amazon has these for approximately $134 in case anyone is interested. Buy.com also has them for $129 but you have to pay shipping and possibly sales tax. They initially come up under a 3rd party on Amazon. However, the box on the right lists "more buying choices" and Amazon is one of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back