Official Klipsch Custom-3 Impressions Thread
Feb 9, 2008 at 7:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

PeterDLai

Headphoneus Supremus
Here are my (long) first impressions of the Klipsch Custom-3 earphones:

Design:
The comfort is about the same as any other deep ear canal earphone. The memory wire is a little thicker than normal, but it isn't too bad. I am currently wearing glasses with them and am not experiencing much issue, but your mileage may vary (for example, my glasses' temples are very thin). Once on, it stays in place even with rapid movement. I will say that a good seal is paramount when using these earphones and I'll get to that more a little later. This good seal does result in a good amount of pressure inside your ear canal, but I listened over 4 hours yesterday without fatigue. Finding the right ear gels for you is also very important. I found that getting a seal was ten times easier using the double flange ear gels instead of the single flange ones. Though the single flange ear gels enabled the earphones to stay more flush with my ears, it was not preferrable to the ease that the double flanges provided. On a side note, I also thought that they sounded better with the double flanges but it might just be because of the better seal.

Build quality is very good. The actual housing has a soft-touch texture and it feels very solid. The cloth-wrapped cable feels pretty durable, though I can see a tiny bit of fraying near the cable cinch, though I can't see that this will be more than an aesthetic issue if anything. The plug is very small, gold-plated, and right-angled, which is what I prefer, and I believe it will work with the Apple iPhone without an adapter.

When I first put them on, I was shocked at the microphonics that were produced. It turns out, however, that I was not getting a good seal, and after figuring that out, the microphonics were reduced. They are still prevalent if you want to wear them in front of you without the cable cinch, but it isn't a deal breaker. If you do wear them as they were intended with them behind you and the cable cinch tightened to your neck, it does reduce the microphonics from the cable to virtually nothing. Note though that anything rubbing the cable above the cinch will cause a small rustling noise. One example of this happening is when you turn your head left to right. I have found that there were no extra microphonics caused when walking (I noticed with the q-JAYS that each step produced a "thud" noise).

Isolation is excellent once you get a good seal. I can barely hear the speakers in front of me when they're blasting with these on and with music on. I have not tried it on public transit yet, but I'll probably give it a shot soon and report back.

Accessories:
Included with the earphones are a relatively big carrying case, and inside are the other ear gels (altogether there is are two sizes of double flanges, and three sizes of single flanges), the loop cleaning tool, an airplane adapter and a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter. One nice touch is the desiccant packet they put in there to suck up moisture when you're storing your earphones. All in all, a decent selection of accessories, all feeling pretty well made.

Sound Quality:
First, a little background. All of my listening is done without external amps, so I cannot offer any input as to how much they will improve with external amplification. It is important to take note that I have nothing else on me at the moment that is comparable to compare these to directly. I have previous experience with the Future Sonics Atrio m5, the Shure E500PTH, and the JAYS q-JAYS. I wasn't a huge fan of the Future Sonics Atrio m5, though I attribute some of that to the fact that I had the Shure E500 at the same time and much preferred the slightly less dark sound of the Shure E500. The Shure E500 was pretty warm, musical, and lush in its sound presentation, and I felt the Future Sonics Atrio m5 was even more dark and bassy. I already thought that the Shure E500 was missing something in the top end, but the Future Sonics Atrio m5 in my opinion took even more off the top end (which may be preferable for some for less fatigue). After I got the q-JAYS, however, I found out that my sound signature preference might actually be more towards the cold/analytical side than I thought. It provided tons of treble energy that made the music more exciting to listen (I listen to a good amount of alternative rock, pop, etc.) rather than something that I would sit and relax to. It got my toes tapping and it sounded just so "crisp" and "clean" in the top end. It lacked some bass, however, but that was easily fixable with some equalizer adjustments, though I'm not really into having to use software equalizers as not all of my sources produce similar results with equalizer adjustments. Needless to say, the q-JAYS were my new reference at that point, but I sought out to find something that improved on it in a few areas: bass, soundstage, and microphonics are the big points.

Now, placing the Klipsch Custom-3 into the picture is a somewhat difficult task to do considering I don't actually own any of the previous mentioned IEMs anymore. If I remember correctly, these sound comparable to the Shure E500. The midrange is forward, the bass is full, but one difference that I perceive based on memory is that the Klipsch Custom-3 produces the high end slightly better. I believe that the q-JAYS provided a more crisp top end than the Custom-3, but the Custom-3 is preferable to the Shure E500 in this regard.

The bass is much better than the q-JAYS, however. It is thick, full, and punchy but without bloat. I actually do not think it goes quite as deep as the dynamic-driver based Future Sonics Atrio m5 (IIRC) but there's nothing disappointing at all about the bass output.

Midrange and vocals are excellent. They are very clean and silky smooth. Listening to female vocals is especially a treat with these. The timbre of each instrument and voice are very realistic sounding.

As I said before, the highs are good, but the q-JAYS provides extra kick up there. It all really seems to come down to sound preference as the Custom-3's are more towards the warm and musical signature, like the Shure E500. One thing I can say though is that I'm not sure what I prefer anymore upon getting these. The Custom-3 presents a sort of lush sound without sacrificing much of the highs (still not as "sharp" as the q-JAYS). It overall provides a very pleasing listen that can be endured for hours on end.

Soundstage-wise, I cannot really actually compare it because I cannot for the life of me remember how the soundstage was perceived with the other 'phones. But I think the soundstage is above average for an IEM but it's still not astounding. It might be a limitation of IEMs in general, something that you have to sacrifice for their ultra-portability.

I gave these a run over all types of music (as I listen to pretty much anything) and I would say that these are fairly neutral across all genres. Overall, it provides a balanced sound signature, and the only place where it might suffer a tiny bit is with classical because of the lack of sheer extreme highs. I have not heard any Etymotics 'phones, but supposedly those are highly regarded for classical music. The q-JAYS seemed to fare a little better with classical as well IMO.

This "first impressions" went longer than I expected, especially without any real direct comparisons, but I hope it helped a little. I am going to give these a longer listen over this month. I tend to be a somewhat critical and picky person, so in general I believe most people will actually love these. It's not fair that the last good headphone I heard were APureSound-recabled Denon AH-D2000, so my ears are still adjusting back to the smaller soundstaging. I still also want to (maybe) get another IEM (Westone 3?) at the same time to really put it into perspective. Basing all of my comparisons on memory is probably not a good idea, so I wouldn't read too much into those.

Here are my pros and cons after the first day, and keep in mind most of these are opinions.

Pros: Excellent sonic quality (only with good seal), fairly balanced sound (a little biased towards warm), very low distortion, decent set of accessories, excellent isolation, great build quality, small, pretty comfortable

Neutral: Soundstage pretty good for IEM, but still nowhere near comparable to full-size headphones, not as flush with the ear when using the double flanges (which is preferrable in sound and seal for me), don't usually like wearing the cable behind me with the cable cinched so microphonics is still a issue

Cons: Not a big fan of the relatively thick memory wire (and could pose a problem to others with thicker temples), a little more difficult to get good seal than usual

Feb 9, 2008 at 8:09 PM Post #2 of 62
Thanks for your first impressions, sounds interesting. I predict that the sound will change over time (IMO
wink.gif
),: can you try other tips from different PM's? Also is it possible to switch L & R ?

Feb 9, 2008 at 8:25 PM Post #3 of 62
Hmm, with custom (heh) made acryl plugs, it sounds like a winner. (Automatic good seal, easy insert and comfort++.)
Fortunately, I already own a pair (ordered em for my Westone UM1, which I now grew to dislike for too dark sound after I got my HD-600).
Unfortunately, 300$ is a bit high for a double driver (one can get triple.fi from ebay only for 15-20$ more).
I still wonder how Custom-2 compares to custom-3. After all, their designs are very similar... and former cost 100$ less. Now, if Custom-3 was like 250$ - I guess I'll be ordering it now...
Btw!
Can you tell me what soundchannel they use? (I mean that tube you attach those 'gels' to, pardon my English). Is it similar to one used by Westone, Ety, Shure, or is it different?

Feb 9, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #4 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by freeone-j /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your first impressions, sounds interesting. I predict that the sound will change over time (IMO
wink.gif
),: can you try other tips from different PM's? Also is it possible to switch L & R ?

I don't think it's possible to switch the left and right channels.

The Shure olive foamies did fit, but the resulting sound wasn't very good. It sounded more closed in and detracted a lot from the highs.

EDIT: I just gave the Shure olive foamies a try again and I'm not sure what happened the first time I tried them, but it sounds normal now. As for the sound in comparison to the ear gels, I'm still testing...

Feb 9, 2008 at 9:04 PM Post #5 of 62
Quote:

The Shure olive foamies did fit, but the resulting sound wasn't very good.

Looks like the soundchannel is standard - good. It means they could have included no 'gels' for all I care
smily_headphones1.gif
Ok, now MOAR reviews, please. Sturdy construction and great cable is a big plus - now, if sound is indeed on par with triple drivers, I might buy them after all.

Feb 9, 2008 at 9:07 PM Post #6 of 62
Hey PeterDLai-
Thanks for the initial impressions. I will add mine to the thread once I receive them. It looks from my tracking number that I won't get them until next Thursday though. Ugh. I hope I like them better than the Denon C700's...especially considering the price difference! I hope the bass reaches deeper than that of the Denons, because if not it seems that the Denons are similar in sound signature at a cheaper price. I'll be curious to do a comparo with both.

-Cheers.

Feb 10, 2008 at 12:22 AM Post #8 of 62
I really like the packaging of these IEMs, and the fit and finish seem fine. I'm a little worried that the cloth wrapping of the cables is going to stretch out of shape where the slider adjustment thing is, and the strain relief on the right angle plug seems very long and inflexible. I hope that won't be a problem.

Regarding the tips. There is a nice selection of silicone tips. Unfortunately silicone tips simply won't stay put in my ears. I've tried almost every combination since I got the earphones yesterday afternoon, and I can usually get a lasting seal in my left ear, but my right ear the gel slides out within a few seconds/minutes. I have had this experience with every IEM I have tried. Since comfort and fit are a big part of the messaging around the Klipsch IEMs, I thought these would be different, but I had the same problem with these. I haven't yet tried to turn the gels so they are aligned diferently to see if that will help, but so far the Klipsch gels are a disappointment to me. Fortunately the Shure Olives (maybe best IEM tip ever designed) fit these perfectly, and stay in my finicky right ear perfectly as well. In fact I was ready to return the Custom-3s until I tried them with the Olives. Now I think I'll keep them.

I did a short listening test between the Custom-3s and a pair of d-JAYS. I also only have silicone sleeves for my d-JAYS, and have the same fit issues with them, so I use Olives with them as well. I ran the test as follows. I picked 6 songs for fairly random reasons. I then listened to all six songs with the d-JAYS and took a few notes. I then repeated the process with the Custom-3s.

Music used:
Bullet the Blue Sky - U2 from The Joshua Tree 128 kbps AAC
All I Do - Derek Trucks Band from Songlines 192 kbps AAC
Crush - Dave Matthews Band from Before These Crowded Streets 128 kbps AAC
Fred Jones Part 2 - Ben Folds from Rockin' the Suburbs 192 kbps AAC
Posession - Sarah McLachlan from Mirrorball 192 kbps AAC
Wake Up - Rage Against The Machine from Rage Against The Machine MP3 encoded using the old r3mix VBR preset.

For this test the source is a 1st Generation iPod nano. No external amplification was used.

My impressions so far are that the Custom-3s are definitely more musical. Bass is more extended and more textured - i.e. if there are different instruments playing in the same range they don't blur together. Treble extension is about the same between the two headphones, although I think the Klipsch reaches a little higher. Cymbals have more impact.

Vocals are definitely more alive with the Custom-3s. For example in Fred Jones Part 2 Ben Folds' voice very distinctly conveys the emotions that Fred Jones is feeling as he sees one phase of his life end, and ponders his end. It's a very sad song. The Custom-3s get that right. With the d-JAYS its not as obviously presented.

Other than bass, I don't think there is much difference in frequency response between the d-JAYS and Custom-3s, but all of the frequencys just sounded better with the Klipsch. There was more detail with the Custom-3s. For example at the beginning of All I do there are some distorted guitar notes. With the Klipsch earphones I can distinctly hear the hum from the guitar amplifier behind the notes. It's not noticable at all with the d-JAYS. With the d-JAYS all of the sound tends to compress together during active musical passages or at higher volumes. For example, when listening to Crush there are several sections where there is a lot happening musically. With the d-JAYS these passages seemed very congested, and it wasn't even always possible to pick out the instruments. This did not happen at all with the Custom-3s; they just seemed to provide more space for all of the things happening in the music to be heard and presented properly. In my mind this gave the music much more emotional impact. With the d-JAYS I was hearing all of the notes, but they were just notes. With the Klipsches I had a much more distinct sense that somebody was playing those notes and this made for a very satisfying musical experience. I didn't notice picks scratching on strings, or air blowing through a flute distinctly or any specific audiophily stuff like that, but the Custom-3s just seem very very musical to me. Overall I really really enjoy listening to these IEMs. I haven't traveled with them yet, but for me, it seems that as long as I can keep a supply of the Shure black foamies I'll be happy. I wonder if Klipsch will send me two free pairs of those when I register my earphones.

I hope these impressions are helpful. I don't really have an audiophile vocabulary, so I hope I was able to convey how much I enjoy music played through these earphones.

Feb 10, 2008 at 1:41 AM Post #9 of 62
I just gave the Shure olive foamies a second try and I'm not so sure what happened the first time I tried them, but they sound good now.

The sound is not too much different from what I can tell so far, but they are much more comfortable.

Feb 10, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #10 of 62
Good job gdpeck,
This is only the beginning of the positive reveiws. Did you use Shure olive flex tips or new black foamies? Can't wait to hear these out of an amp.
biggrin.gif
cool.gif

Feb 10, 2008 at 1:58 AM Post #11 of 62
Quote:

Good job gdpeck,
This is only the beginning of the positive reveiws. Did you use Shure olive flex tips or new black foamies? Can't wait to hear these out of an amp.
biggrin.gif
cool.gif

Thanks! I think they are olives, but could be the black foamies. I only happen to have them because I got a couple of pair when I was trying out Shure earbuds at headfest. I stuck them in my pocket, not knowing if I would ever use them again, but they have actually saved my last two pairs of IEMs from disuse, or dissatisfaction.

Feb 10, 2008 at 2:28 AM Post #12 of 62
Quote:

Good job gdpeck,
biggrin.gif
cool.gif

Strange, I've always thought that whenever people referred to the "olive" tips it was always the black foam ones. Unless you meant "ultra" flex tips?

In any case, the only ones that I have to try out from Shure are the black foam tips.

P.S. Besides comfort, I think I'm starting to favor the sound using the Shure tips as well. I'm not exactly sure if I'm hearing things right, but they expand the soundstage slightly, strengthens the highs a little more, but it might have reduced the midrange a small amount (which makes it even more neutral and balanced than it was originally).

The bass is the same IMO. They are much more comfortable though as I stated before, and it's quite nice as the pressure is less and there's less irritation in my ear canal. Isolation-wise they seem about on par as the double flanges. One caveat though is that they stick out even more than the double flanges now, but I think the other numerous improvements outweigh that fact for me right now (I don't intend on sleeping with these on). They are still nowhere near how far Ultimate Ears' universal-fit earphones stick out.
tongue.gif

Feb 10, 2008 at 2:37 AM Post #13 of 62
Quote:

Good job gdpeck,
biggrin.gif
cool.gif

And hopefully just the beginning of a lot of tip experimentation. It sounds encouraging that so many of the Shure tips are options. I suppose Comply tips would work as well.

Feb 10, 2008 at 7:55 AM Post #15 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by truejoker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thank you gdpeck and PeterDLai on your reviews . i curios how do you feel they perform on vocal ? and to what can you compare them in that issue

I have nothing really comparable on me at the moment, but the vocals in my opinion are excellent. They are very lush and musical, and don't display sibilance (from what I've listened to so far).

I'm finding more and more that these are ideal for listeners with a preference towards a warm and musical presentation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back