Official Klipsch Custom-3 Impressions Thread
Feb 10, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #18 of 62
I had a little time to snap a few shots. Note that these were taken with the Shure black foam sleeves, so the earphones stick out of the ear more. Using the double flanges it was slightly deeper, and using the single flanges, they were virtually flush with the ear (I don't think my ear conchas are deep enough to hide them completely).

C3003.jpg

C3002.jpg
C3001.jpg

Feb 10, 2008 at 7:24 PM Post #19 of 62
PeterDLai;3784265 said:
I had a little time to snap a few shots. Note that these were taken with the Shure black foam sleeves, so the earphones stick out of the ear more. Using the double flanges it was slightly deeper, and using the single flanges, they were virtually flush with the ear (I don't think my ear conchas are deep enough to hide them completely).

GEEZ.. I didn't realize that stem was so long! The images on Klipsch didn't look anything like that. But I realize that different tips look different on the earphone stem.

Feb 10, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #20 of 62
Deleted for accidental double posting of above entry.

Feb 10, 2008 at 10:43 PM Post #21 of 62
Peter,
As you may know we did not design Klipsch IEM's to mate with another companies eartips. We can not be responsible for the integrity of this combination of products when used. It is great if they do fit together but please be sure that you have enough retention on the nozzle for the tips to be securely mounted. This will help to prevent them from being stuck in your ear canal.

From the pictures it looks like the tips are quite a distance from the chassis. I suspect that you don't have the olives foam tips placed very far up the nozzle and that they are resting prior to the retention ring. Please make sure that there is enough grip to keep them on the nozzles. Pull on the tips to verify that they are secure. I would hate for you to have an issue, eventhough this combination seems to work for you.

Glad you are enjoying our new product.

As I always say "stick it in your ear"...just make sure it comes out.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 11, 2008 at 3:53 AM Post #22 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Professor Thump /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Peter,
As you may know we did not design Klipsch IEM's to mate with another companies eartips. We can not be responsible for the integrity of this combination of products when used. It is great if they do fit together but please be sure that you have enough retention on the nozzle for the tips to be securely mounted. This will help to prevent them from being stuck in your ear canal.

From the pictures it looks like the tips are quite a distance from the chassis. I suspect that you don't have the olives foam tips placed very far up the nozzle and that they are resting prior to the retention ring. Please make sure that there is enough grip to keep them on the nozzles. Pull on the tips to verify that they are secure. I would hate for you to have an issue, eventhough this combination seems to work for you.

Glad you are enjoying our new product.

As I always say "stick it in your ear"...just make sure it comes out.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yep, they're pretty darn secure. I haven't run into any problems with them getting stuck in my ears or anything. If anything, I'd suggest looking into developing your own foam tips (perhaps designing them specifically for the Custom-series so that it'll fit better) because I'm finding that I'm enjoying the sound and comfort more with foam tips.

Feb 11, 2008 at 4:30 PM Post #23 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterDLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... If anything, I'd suggest looking into developing your own foam tips (perhaps designing them specifically for the Custom-series so that it'll fit better) because I'm finding that I'm enjoying the sound and comfort more with foam tips.

A big x2 on this. I appreciate the work that went into the design of the tips for the Custom-series, and I think they are definitely among the best silicone tips I have attempted to use with any IEM. However, as I mentioned in my initial impressions, silicone just doesn't work for me. I imagine that any foam tips Klipsch could come up with would be top-notch, so if you are on the fence about whether to invest in the development of foam tips here's one more vote for adding them.

Thanks!
George

Feb 11, 2008 at 9:12 PM Post #24 of 62
Just got mine a few minutes ago. Packaging is top-notch and fully worthy of the price tag -- just looking at it got me excited to try them out actually. Kudos to the marketing guys.

I've only listened to them for a few minutes out of my 160GB iPod Classic. Initial impressions are:

1) The stock tips don't isolate well at all, at least, not to my ears. I pulled those off after about a song. Nonetheless, the fit felt pretty good and the sound was just fine, which is a bit odd.

2) The biflange tips are better in terms of isolation and fit just as well. I'm not a big fan of flanged tips, but these are pretty darn comfortable.

3) Holy microphonics, batman. I read a couple of posts on here about how you have to cinch the headphones tight, and it's really true. Even so, there's a lot of sound when you move your head from side to side. It gets better as you really tighten the cables down on your head, but I find that extremely uncomfortable. This really might be a deal-breaker for me.

4) They're really sensitive. The only phones I have that are as sensitive as these are my LiveWires, and those were totally unusable on my 5.5G iPod due to line hiss. I was running these things down around 15% volume, and the Classic isn't very accurate down in those ranges, so I ended up having to renable my Sound Check option, which is set to a 4 dB attenuation.

5) I'm a little torn on the audio at the moment. At times I hear a bass impact that's only matched by my beloved Atrios. Some songs have really great detail, others seem to have a bit of a muffled midrange. This might be a function of the complexity of the music, or it might be a result of the specific recordings. I'm going to just listen for a day or two before I put on the Audio Test Playlist and generate my in-depth review.

Feb 11, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #25 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trager /img/forum/go_quote.gif
3) Holy microphonics, batman. I read a couple of posts on here about how you have to cinch the headphones tight, and it's really true. Even so, there's a lot of sound when you move your head from side to side. It gets better as you really tighten the cables down on your head, but I find that extremely uncomfortable. This really might be a deal-breaker for me.

Although I don't have the Custom 3 - I do have the Image, which: Quote:

feature aluminum bodies finished in beautiful anodized copper and sleek, streamlined black “tails.” Aside from aesthetic appeal, these flexible “tails” reduce cable stress and serve as an acoustic dampener to minimize cable noise.

Well. . . I'd hate to hear the noise if it was maximized! It's horrendous as it is, and despite the quality of sound - it really is a turn off. The only way to control it, is not to move or breathe too much! If the C3 has even more noise - then you have my utmost sympathy!

Feb 12, 2008 at 1:15 AM Post #26 of 62
Yeah, after an afternoon of using these, I'm still very much on the fence about the microphonics. The audio is starting to really grow on me, and there are some very laudable aspects to the sound. The ergonomics suck, though. If I cinch the Y behind my head, I have the choice of running the cable down my back (which means it's hard to hold my iPod in front of me to do things like adjust volume or select songs) or wrap the cable around my back and run it down my front (which is quite noisy if I move my head). If I cinch in front of my neck, it doesn't do much unless I pull tight enough that it's just uncomfortable. If I don't pull tight, I get all kinds of microphonics when I tilt my head, turn my head, or move my shoulders too much. Collared shirts definitely don't mix well with these wires.

The funny thing is that my ER-4P were pretty darn microphonic as well and I didn't have that much trouble tuning it out. Maybe I've just been spoiled by my Shures and Atrios.

Feb 12, 2008 at 4:26 AM Post #28 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trager /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The funny thing is that my ER-4P were pretty darn microphonic as well and I didn't have that much trouble tuning it out. Maybe I've just been spoiled by my Shures and Atrios.

Does that mean that the braided cable design does not actually work in reducing microphonics or is it an isolated case for just Etymotics 'phones? I feel like I've read before that the braided cable on Westone's earphones are very good at minimizing microphonic noises...

Perhaps it's the fact that it's braided AND goes over the ear (a la Westone) vs. Etymotics which just come straight out of the ear?

Feb 12, 2008 at 4:27 AM Post #29 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by truejoker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
someone is wearing glasses? if so how it works ? the fit is O.K ? (i am sorry about my English, i hope that the question is understood )

I am at this very moment listening to them with glasses on, and I personally have no problems, but other people may have issues.

Feb 12, 2008 at 6:26 PM Post #30 of 62
I know somebody is going to accuse me of being an olive fanboy, but I spent some listening time over the last 24 hours with the supplied gel tips and I noticed the cable microphonics much more with them than I do with the shure olives. I think maybe it's due to increased isolation with the olives.

Also, the Custom-3s seem to respond very nicely to external amplifications. I've been listening to my ipod nano amped through my headfive, and it definitely provides some subtle improvements to the sound. I don't think an amp is a necessity for these, but it does provide some benefit.

Thanks!
George

Users who are viewing this thread

Back