Official HIFIMAN HE1000 Impressions Thread
Dec 1, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #1,951 of 3,817
This question is actually for the hex before since the build is so similar I thought it would still be appropriate to ask here. Can the suspension strap be shortened? It's too long even on the smallest setting for me. Looks like there are two screws holding it in place. Wanted to check before I started unassembling. 

Dec 1, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #1,952 of 3,817
The HE-1000 band is replaceable, in fact, they sent out replacements to users that found the one supplied uncomfortable. I haven't done it myself, but they say it isn't difficult. If the HEX is built the same way, the same should apply.

Dec 1, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #1,953 of 3,817
The HE-1000 band is replaceable, in fact, they sent out replacements to users that found the one supplied uncomfortable. I haven't done it myself, but they say it isn't difficult. If the HEX is built the same way, the same should apply.

Okay, thanks. I noticed some people here didn't like the shorter strap. PM me if someone has a shorter strap for sale. 

Dec 1, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #1,955 of 3,817
come on, you should try microZOTL2. my friend sold his Rag immediately after hearing that amp.

Haven't compared it to the Rag; have compared to RSA-HR-2, Airist Audio Heron 5, Liquid Carbon, ZOTL is my fave of the ones I've auditioned.

Dec 1, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #1,956 of 3,817
Say, thought I'd take a moment to make mention of an amp I found to have good fusion with the HE1000.

They rarely become available ... but if you are currently 'underpowered', and are budget minded via philosophy or necessity ... and see a used Perreaux SHX1 OR SXH2 headphone amp for sale ... GET IT.

I've only used my McIntosh MHA100 to date with this HP. I decided to use my Perreaux today, and was really impressed. Really good control and power of the bass. Clean at all frequencies while driven hard with seemingly boundless power (it's rrrreally loud beyond what even i can handle when it starts distorting). It's rated at 1.5 class-A biased watts at the HE1K's impedance; but the reviewer below measured it at 1.9 watts @ 32 ohms. And one of my favorite things about the old Perreauxs, it can handle a really hot source driving it and not be overdriven.

Critically speaking, does not have the body and girth to the sound of the Mc, but would you expect it to? And that's only by the slightest of margins; in comparison to an amp 10x today's cost. The bass is powerful and even with the rest of the range. I'd even say, the treble is more crisp and pronounced with the Perreaux but in no way excessive. And the soundfield distance from the ear with certain music seemed to have more motion to its depth/distance from the ear with the Perreax. ...oddly.

Here's maybe the best writeup on it...(a pdf)

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.infinite-resolution.com/files/Australian_Australian_Hi-Fi_-_SXH1_(Stephen_Dawson).pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjv6reCxbvJAhXLVD4KHWBGApAQFghOMAw&usg=AFQjCNG-wWibFdWcxenXxBZH5ZbI3gbfeA&sig2=poDDncxqouDGgtTCXFEQ0A

P.s. I have no skin in the game. I do not plan to ever sell mine, so am not trying to drive interest. To the contrary, I have a SXH1 but would like to acquire an SXH2. This recommendation may only serve to make that more difficult. Just trying to give budget minded individuals a good recommendation of something that drives this well.

Dec 7, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #1,959 of 3,817
So, had a day off to kill, went into Manhattan to see a movie with my wife. Had sine time to kill, she went to shop, I looked my head into Stereo Exchange, listened to the HEK with the McIntosh MHA100. Man, sounds fabulous! I want it!

Dec 7, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #1,960 of 3,817
So, had a day off to kill, went into Manhattan to see a movie with my wife. Had sine time to kill, she went to shop, I looked my head into Stereo Exchange, listened to the HEK with the McIntosh MHA100. Man, sounds fabulous! I want it!

You mean you actually found an amp that beats the Zotl2 with the HeK?
tongue.gif
 Oh well, I wish the MHA100 were not as expensive as they seem to be...  Sorry in advance for your wallet.

Dec 7, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #1,961 of 3,817
I catch the, (cough), subtle sarcasm...I never said the ZOTL is the best amp in the world, just the best I have handy to audition (which are all in the $500-1000 range, with the exception of the Airist, which I had as part of a tour). Didn't actually get to compare the ZOTL and the Mac, would be instructive at some point (when I get another $4k to plunk down on gear :) ).

Dec 7, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #1,962 of 3,817
(i'll be happy to accept a loaner of a TOTL amp to give my unbiased impressions/comparisons with the ZOTL...)

Dec 7, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #1,963 of 3,817
I catch the, (cough), subtle sarcasm...I never said the ZOTL is the best amp in the world, just the best I have handy to audition (which are all in the $500-1000 range, with the exception of the Airist, which I had as part of a tour). Didn't actually get to compare the ZOTL and the Mac, would be instructive at some point (when I get another $4k to plunk down on gear
smily_headphones1.gif
).

I've found that if you make a little pencil dot between the first and second zero on the price tag of the $4000 Mac, you have for your wife an expenditure of just $40.00...still significant, but not as much as that Burberry coat she just bought herself shopping!

Dec 7, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #1,964 of 3,817
(i'll be happy to accept a loaner of a TOTL amp to give my unbiased impressions/comparisons with the ZOTL...)

That's a generous offer, but I can do even better.  I would be willing to accept all the following amplifiers, and then perform my personal evaluation on all of them, comparing each of them to the venerable MicroZOTL 2:

-Wells Audio Head Trip
-Eddie Current Balancing Act and the 445, and the Zana Deux S.
-Head Amp GSX 2
-MacIntosh MHA-100
-Schiit Audio Ragnarok with the Yggdrasil DAC (as, you know, a set)
-Apex Pinnacle (or whatever their top of the line is)
-HiFiMAN EF-1000 (yet to be released, but I would certainly be willing to accept the first unit, because I think so highly of HiFiMAN)
-The Goldmund headphone amp that is hugely expensive
-That one Italian amp that's yellow and retails for 10K (must be good if it's that expensive)
-Ray Samuels B52
-ALO Studio Six
-Vinnie Rossi LIO

I would be willing to audition these amplifiers at ABSOLUTELY NO CHARGE to the manufacturers.  As a bonus, to save them all the unnecessary work and hassle of restocking their inventory, I would keep each and every one of these fine amplifiers in my possession indefinitely (until I died, then my kids or someone else could have them I suppose).  They'd never have to worry about them again.  No storage fees or any other hidden costs for the manufacturers.  That's right, I'd keep them ABSOLUTELY FREE!    A win-win for everyone.

Dec 8, 2015 at 1:47 AM Post #1,965 of 3,817
I've found that if you make a little pencil dot between the first and second zero on the price tag of the $4000 Mac, ...
Being serious for a moment, if you can find a retailer that will discount McIntosh, buy it! Most won't, so it's actually 4500 not 4000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back