Official HIFIMAN HE1000 Impressions Thread
Jun 1, 2015 at 5:26 AM Post #286 of 3,817
I decided to take these with me on my vacation where I'm using my HIFI m8 to drive them. While this setup isn't as good as any of my setups at home, the he1000 still sound better than most headphones I've listened to at their best which makes these even more impressive.

@moodyrn  can you comment on just how your home setup(s) sound better than the HiFi M8 for the HE1000?  I have the HiFi M8 and been using it to great effect, but the only home amps I've tried it with are the Sennheiser HDVD 800 (does not sound even as good as directly driving from a FiiO X3,as it loses transparency and sound stage... I assume because the high output impedance of the HDVD 800 at 43 ohms is way higher than the 4 ohms or less that is best for the HE1000) and the Joseph Grado Signature Products HPA-1 (sounds really good... not sure if better or worse than HiFi M8 but will test more formally after HE1000 has some more hours on it).

And what is/are your home setup?  Thanks!

Jun 1, 2015 at 5:30 AM Post #287 of 3,817
I just ordered these from Moon-Audio.com. Has anyone used these with a portable?

I've been using them with a CEntrance HiFi M8... report is here (in short, suPERB!)  moodryn reports on his listening through the HiFi M8 here -- very good but not as good as his home setups.

Jun 1, 2015 at 8:11 AM Post #288 of 3,817
I just ordered these from Moon-Audio.com. Has anyone used these with a portable?

@SMBuscemi, I have paired the HE-1k with the Oppo HA-2 and Aune B1 (review unit for their tour, review pending). Works quite well on both. I would probably still say that I personally prefer the Lyr 2 when I'm at home with my desktop set-up, but the HE-1k is still quite enjoyable and still performs at a high level from less powerful portable solutions. Their calculated power requirement is like 100mW which is really really small, but there can be a lot of other aspects that influence the sound quality of amplifiers beyond just the power. As I stated in my review, I do think that a modestly powered HE-1k can be just as or even more enjoyable than some other flagships fully powered. personal feelings after some extensive direct comparisons, but your experiences may vary though, so ymmv!

@kayandjohn, thanks for updating your post! I would love to run through following your testing protocol myself when i have more free time :) looks like a fun setup and test! really lookin forward to reading more of your in-depth thoughts

Jun 1, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #289 of 3,817

@kayandjohn, thanks for updating your post! I would love to run through following your testing protocol myself when i have more free time :) looks like a fun setup and test! really lookin forward to reading more of your in-depth thought

@money4me247 I posted the four pieces in a drop box that at least one head-fier managed to get to and use successfully (he was trying some experiments for me on the effect of phase shift varying as a function of frequency...can effects be heard).  So let me know and I can send you the dropbox link and see if it works (big files, takes several 10s of minutes to download each).

So when you do think you have the time, let me know if you want it... might save you scrounging around to find the recordings.  Amazing... there is only just over a minute of program material across those four songs - maybe I should make a one minute composite clip!)

Jun 1, 2015 at 8:23 AM Post #290 of 3,817
@SMBuscemi
, I have paired the HE-1k with the Oppo HA-2 and Aune B1 (review unit for their tour, review pending). Works quite well on both. I would probably still say that I personally prefer the Lyr 2 when I'm at home with my desktop set-up, but the HE-1k is still quite enjoyable and still performs at a high level from less powerful portable solutions. Their calculated power requirement is like 100mW which is really really small, but there can be a lot of other aspects that influence the sound quality of amplifiers beyond just the power. As I stated in my review, I do think that a modestly powered HE-1k can be just as or even more enjoyable than some other flagships fully powered. personal feelings after some extensive direct comparisons, but your experiences may vary though, so ymmv!

@kayandjohn
, thanks for updating your post! I would love to run through following your testing protocol myself when i have more free time :) looks like a fun setup and test! really lookin forward to reading more of your in-depth thoughts
Thank you kindly! I will try mine with the RSA Intruder as well as the Triad Audio and some others too. I will let you know. I hope to get mine quickly.

Jun 1, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #291 of 3,817
I know that LHLabs had an HE-1000 running off a Geek Pulse X Infinity at one of the shows, but have any of you beta testers tried this pairing?  I just got my Infinity last week and am in the process of burning it in.  I have high hopes. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 1, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #292 of 3,817
  I know that LHLabs had an HE-1000 running off a Geek Pulse X Infinity at one of the shows, but have any of you beta testers tried this pairing?  I just got my Infinity last week and am in the process of burning it in.  I have high hopes. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mine should be in sometime to today for me to test out, Ill let you know !

Jun 1, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #293 of 3,817
@moodyrn
  can you comment on just how your home setup(s) sound better than the HiFi M8 for the HE1000?  I have the HiFi M8 and been using it to great effect, but the only home amps I've tried it with are the Sennheiser HDVD 800 (does not sound even as good as directly driving from a FiiO X3,as it loses transparency and sound stage... I assume because the high output impedance of the HDVD 800 at 43 ohms is way higher than the 4 ohms or less that is best for the HE1000) and the Joseph Grado Signature Products HPA-1 (sounds really good... not sure if better or worse than HiFi M8 but will test more formally after HE1000 has some more hours on it).

And what is/are your home setup?  Thanks!

My setups are rebuilt fisher 500c(transformer coupled tube amp)-bryston bda-1-audioplillleo2/pure power-custom built fanless music server. Setup no2 is mcintosh 2205/c42-marantz sa8004-hifi m8 as usb converter(better than any other thing I've owned in that capacity exct being just short of audiophilleo)-custom built fanless music server. Setup no 3 is mcintosh ma6200-ps audio digital link III-vlink192-custom built fanless music server.

Going from the m8 to my least favorite, but still excellent setup(ma6200 bedroom rig), transparency is just on another level, along with being more resolving of micro details. The sound is more lively and energetic, but still just slightly laid back. But very fast and articulate. Bass is tighter and it also hits harder. The mids sound more natural as well. The treble sounds more airy.

Stepping up to my favorite rig(fisher/bryston rig), the sound is just more fun with out a hint of coloration. It's just completely neutral, and the improvements mention above are improved even further, but to an even greater extent than going from the m8 to the bedroom rig. With this rig being laid back is the last term I would use.

Jun 1, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #295 of 3,817

@moodyrn  Maybe I missed it.  Did you do a blow by blow comparison with your HE-6?

+1...............inquiring minds want to know.  Bass impact viscerality comp?

Jun 1, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #296 of 3,817
I think I did, but I really don't remember. Maybe I was planning to and didn't get around to it lol. Out of the box, I would have preferred a modded he6 over all. The he1000 was more transparent and maybe just a bit faster. The mids were also a bit more smooth than the he6. The sound stage width and and depth was about the same with the he1000 being just a smidge deeper in the sound stage department. The modded he6 was more energetic, dynamic, had more bass slam, and just more fun to listen to. The he6 also sounded more airy. Things began to even up around the 75hr mark, and the he6 was surpassed once I went over 100 hours.

And now, there's just no comparison. The he6 still has the advantage of having a little more bass slam, but that's it. Out of the right amp, the he1000 is even more dynamic than the modded he6. The bass is more defined, even faster and have bottomless extension. The treble is just a little more delicate on the hek while being just as airy sounding. The mids of the hek are the first mids to surpass the he6. They sound more organic, natural and transparent. These things are so detailed and transparent, not only can you hear when someone takes a breath(true for pretty much any high end can), but you can hear how deep of a breath they take. These are a clear step up from even a modded pair of he6, and mine had all of the mods. Now if that difference justifies the price difference, that's a personal decision. But the he6 are really hard to improve upon, and it would take a can with this type of effort to do it imo.

Jun 1, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #297 of 3,817
I think I did, but I really don't remember. Maybe I was planning to and didn't get around to it lol. Out of the box, I would have preferred a modded he6 over all. The he1000 was more transparent and maybe just a bit faster. The mids were also a bit more smooth than the he6. The sound stage width and and depth was about the same with the he1000 being just a smidge deeper in the sound stage department. The modded he6 was more energetic, dynamic, had more bass slam, and just more fun to listen to. The he6 also sounded more airy. Things began to even up around the 75hr mark, and the he6 was surpassed once I went over 100 hours.

And now, there's just no comparison. The he6 still has the advantage of having a little more bass slam, but that's it. Out of the right amp, the he1000 is even more dynamic than the modded he6. The bass is more defined, even faster and have bottomless extension. The treble is just a little more delicate on the hek while being just as airy sounding. The mids of the hek are the first mids to surpass the he6. They sound more organic, natural and transparent. These things are so detailed and transparent, not only can you hear when someone takes a breath(true for pretty much any high end can), but you can hear how deep of a breath they take. These are a clear step up from even a modded pair of he6, and mine had all of the mods. Now if that difference justifies the price difference, that's a personal decision. But the he6 are really hard to improve upon, and it would take a can with this type of effort to do it imo.

Thanks for the detailed comparison/ contrast of the HE-6 and the HE1K, it is very much appreciated. I had been tempted to get a pair of HE-6 but I am really enjoying the HE1K.

Jun 2, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #298 of 3,817
Great review, thanks @money4me247!

I'm in a similar boat to you currently - I have HD800s and HE-560s, and am contemplating picking up a used LCD-3F to complete the range of sound signatures: clinical / musical / organic.

The HE-1000, while you seem to indicate does all three well, is also more than the cost of all three cans combined (by about $600!).

I can't afford to buy and audition the 1000s without selling the other 2, so I'm rather stuck. I supposed I'll wait for some further reviews and comparisons, but I've got a pair of 3Fs available locally at a great price I don't want to miss... Decisions!

Cheers

Jun 2, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #299 of 3,817
  Great review, thanks @money4me247!

I'm in a similar boat to you currently - I have HD800s and HE-560s, and am contemplating picking up a used LCD-3F to complete the range of sound signatures: clinical / musical / organic.

The HE-1000, while you seem to indicate does all three well, is also more than the cost of all three cans combined (by about $600!).

I can't afford to buy and audition the 1000s without selling the other 2, so I'm rather stuck. I supposed I'll wait for some further reviews and comparisons, but I've got a pair of 3Fs available locally at a great price I don't want to miss... Decisions!

Cheers

I guess you're using used prices for everything here. If you use MSRP prices, then it's $1,600 + $899 + $1,945 = $4,444. The HE1000 MSRP is $2,999. And it would be lower on the used market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back