Official HIFIMAN HE1000 Impressions Thread
Jun 2, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #301 of 3,817
  Great review, thanks @money4me247!

I'm in a similar boat to you currently - I have HD800s and HE-560s, and am contemplating picking up a used LCD-3F to complete the range of sound signatures: clinical / musical / organic.

The HE-1000, while you seem to indicate does all three well, is also more than the cost of all three cans combined (by about $600!).

I can't afford to buy and audition the 1000s without selling the other 2, so I'm rather stuck. I supposed I'll wait for some further reviews and comparisons, but I've got a pair of 3Fs available locally at a great price I don't want to miss... Decisions!

Cheers

You can't wear them all at once. I'd much rather have a headphone that performs at nearly as well, as well, or even better than each of those cans in their relative areas of strength. This is why I ordered my HE1K.

I think it's safe to say the HE1K will totally eclipse the 560. It's just not worth juggling 3 cans when you can get nearly the imaging of the 800 without the brightness. And in my book, the HE1K will also best the LCD 3 across the board, especially in the comfort department, although it may come down to a matter of taste.

I'll probably sell my LCD-2.2, but I doubt I'll ever sell my HD800. It's a work of art. If you can make the finances work, pull the trigger. 

Jun 2, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #302 of 3,817
Hi everyone, I used a fiio e12, hooked to my kinddle, to run my HE1K and the e12 did a fine job, not nearly as good as my main rig, but good for a portable.

Jun 2, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #303 of 3,817
My HEKs arrived last night and I've spent a few hours listening to them now.

Here are my initial impressions using my Yggy and my NAD C352(waiting for my Lyr 2 and LC to arrive) and off my ancient M-Audio USB DAC on my PC.

I find the HEKs to be very warm though not colored - more in the sense that each and every sound is given the full respect it deserves nothing less nothing more.  Its very obvious that these things are fast, high hats, drums, bells, ect are all crystal clear.  I'm not nearly as well versed in the language of describing sound as others but what I can say is that much of the music I have been listening to seems to have new emotion to it, a song that was just good before has become emotive warm and truly communicative of a feeling. 

Sizing wise I find them to be fine - I have a rather large head though I'm 5'3" but I wear a size large motorcycle helmet.  I do have them adjusted to the smallest setting however.

My Lyr 2 should arrive later this week or early next week so I'll post a more when I've had a chance to listen more on a more appropriate amp.

Jun 2, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #304 of 3,817
Hi everyone, I used a fiio e12, hooked to my kinddle, to run my HE1K and the e12 did a fine job. The HE1K did not sound as good coming out of my main dac and amp, however, it did sound good with my humble e12, the bass was nice, the mids smooth and detailed and the treble was detailed with out being to bright.

@reddog   I'm I reading this right?  

Jun 2, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #305 of 3,817
My HEKs arrived last night and I've spent a few hours listening to them now.

Here are my initial impressions using my Yggy and my NAD C352(waiting for my Lyr 2 and LC to arrive) and off my ancient M-Audio USB DAC on my PC.

I find the HEKs to be very warm though not colored - more in the sense that each and every sound is given the full respect it deserves nothing less nothing more.  Its very obvious that these things are fast, high hats, drums, bells, ect are all crystal clear.  I'm not nearly as well versed in the language of describing sound as others but what I can say is that much of the music I have been listening to seems to have new emotion to it, a song that was just good before has become emotive warm and truly communicative of a feeling. 

Sizing wise I find them to be fine - I have a rather large head though I'm 5'3" but I wear a size large motorcycle helmet.  I do have them adjusted to the smallest setting however.

My Lyr 2 should arrive later this week or early next week so I'll post a more when I've had a chance to listen more on a more appropriate amp.

+1 great first impressions of the HE1K and you will really like your lyr 2. Welcome to club Schiit, may your headphone rig always put a smile on your face.

Jun 2, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #306 of 3,817
@reddog
   I'm I reading this right?  
yes I am impresed how the HE1K scales down with the e12. I would rather listen to the HE1K through my main system any time, but was surprised how well the HE1K sounded on the e12 than does the Primes. When I used the e12, my Primes sound signature sounded a tad congested. The HE1K is definitely easier to drive than the Primes. I do not plan on using the HE1K as my main portable headphones, just was surprised a e12 would drive the HE1K as good as it did. I am going to order a pm-3 sometime, to be my new portable headphones.

Jun 2, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #307 of 3,817
Jun 2, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #308 of 3,817
  I know that LHLabs had an HE-1000 running off a Geek Pulse X Infinity at one of the shows, but have any of you beta testers tried this pairing?  I just got my Infinity last week and am in the process of burning it in.  I have high hopes. 
smily_headphones1.gif

I listened to the HE-1000s at Axpona.  They were being driven by SOME type of Geek Audio device.  I was ASTOUNDED at how great they sounded.  To my ears, based on limited listening, but to the same song and with my own CD player, there was nothing even remotely close to them*, including my own Lawton modified Denon AH-D7000s, which I love.  Hearing them is why I've made this most recent foray back into headphones.  I haven't been this excited about an audio product in about 10 years, literally.

*CAVEAT: I didn't hear the Abyss, the Beyerdynamic T1, or the Oppo PM1. 

Jun 2, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #309 of 3,817
I have found that playing the 1000's through lower output amps such as out directly out of a laptop, through the HA-2 and CEntrance M8, it sounds very nice,
but without any decent power (not much, but something respectful) the soundstage shrinks down and in. On other higher impedance headphones that are hard to drive,
you can't use any of the 3 amps that I mentioned at all.
But with these, the sound is there, although it collapses and gets very narrow.  Less on the M8, more on the laptop. 

So, the power does play an important role.

Jun 2, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #310 of 3,817
I have found that playing the 1000's through lower output amps such as out directly out of a laptop, through the HA-2 and CEntrance M8, it sounds very nice,
but without any decent power (not much, but something respectful) the soundstage shrinks down and in. On other higher impedance headphones that are hard to drive,
you can't use any of the 3 amps that I mentioned at all.
But with these, the sound is there, although it collapses and gets very narrow.  Less on the M8, more on the laptop. 

So, the power does play an important role.

What amps have you used the HE1000 on that has better sound than the HiFi M8? What is their rated power into 35 (or 32) ohms? Thanks!

Jun 2, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #311 of 3,817
+1 great first impressions of the HE1K and you will really like your lyr 2. Welcome to club Schiit, may your headphone rig always put a smile on your face.

Ha thanks.  I took the dive on the Yggy when they first were released and am loving it on my speakers but now working on my can setup!

Jun 3, 2015 at 12:38 AM Post #312 of 3,817
As I sat tonight, listening to some of my long time reference recordings, I came to the startling revelation, that:

I don't really need a headphone that makes music any better than the HE-1000. 

Jun 3, 2015 at 12:41 AM Post #313 of 3,817
  I don't really need a headphone that makes music any better than the HE-1000. 

I've already realized that I don't think there is a headphone that MAKES music any better than the HE1000
eek.gif

Jun 3, 2015 at 1:29 AM Post #314 of 3,817
And they've arrived; the HE1000 that is, of course, although my STAX have recently arrived too.

At least for me, the HE1000 doesn't seem very large on my head considering I've had the SR-207 for almost 2 years now.

Does anyone have any guesses as to what type of wood this is? I have very little knowledge of what woods are what, apart from zebra wood (LCD-3), rosewood (LCD-2), and bamboo. XD

^ you can see the conductive tracers there

Jun 3, 2015 at 7:56 AM Post #315 of 3,817
What amps have you used the HE1000 on that has better sound than the HiFi M8? What is their rated power into 35 (or 32) ohms? Thanks!

Not really a fair comparison, but I have had the pleasure to be listening through a Wells Audio Headtrip which is rated at 25 wpc.

I'm also using my Eddie Current (Laconic) EC-01 which drives 300Ω at 1.2W. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back