Official HIFIMAN HE1000 Impressions Thread
Jun 26, 2015 at 12:14 AM Post #796 of 3,817
^ point 4 doesn't apply to planar magnetic headphones as they are immune to the amps' high output impedance

The design of the amp makes far more of a difference than output power as long as it provides enough power for your listening needs.

Thanks for that clarification, ratones azules.

Jun 26, 2015 at 6:30 AM Post #797 of 3,817
Makes sense, the MicroZOTL, with 1W, OTL, drives them beautifully from my listening.
looking forward to my Liquid Carbon.

Jun 26, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #798 of 3,817
Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Jun 26, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #800 of 3,817
HE-1000s arrived on my doorstep this morning. After a few hours of listening, I can comfortably agree with the comment that these really do sound the most like actual loudspeakers of any headphone I've ever heard - including the Stax SR-009.

Mine are production models, leather earpads with velour contact surfaces. Biggest niggle is earcup depth. My ears allllmost touch the drivers. Not sure if after some break in to the pads this will be an issue, but for now it's ok. Also, I have a HUGE head - and I'm on the second smallest headband notch. I'm not sure who these are made for, but they seem inappropriately huge for no reason.

And the sound? Smooth. Like velvet. Or silk. Or sticking your entire head in a chocolate fondue fountain. Nothing seems out of place, everything is measured and precise, with nothing too forward or nothing recessed. Biggest surprise was the bass response - really staggering compared to my HD800s and even my LCD-3Fs. Tight, round and full, without bloat, bleed or colour. Just a big surprise coming from the other two.

More listening time is needed, but my initial summary is to say that like other users have reported, these don't do everything perfectly, but everything they do, they do right. I put them on and am immediately happy, and am not looking for flaws - the same of which can not be said for my HD800s and LCD-3Fs, for which I am constantly waiting for some harshness or darkness, respectively.

I have never put on another pair of headphones that I immediately felt so at ease with. For once I am not waiting for something to intrude, some deficiency of signature or over-exuberance that leads me to take them off. I'm not sure exactly how to say it, but for once I am not constantly thinking "I wonder how these will sound on my other headphones?" when I listen to a track.

Compared to the HD800s and LCD-3Fs, I'll make the goldilocks analogy: The HD800 is too hot, while the LCDs are too cold - but the HE-1000 is 'just right.'

Jun 26, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #801 of 3,817
I'll quote my comparison between HE1k and HD800 from our Toronto meet thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/772259/toronto-summer-meet-june-21-2015#post_11710149

Comparison-wise, the highlight had to be my session switching between my HE1000s and Mark's HD800, on his McIntosh system. 

What I thought:

- HD800 had a more growl-y, "audibly textured" bass, while HE1000's bass was more tactile and "physically textured". Both were exquisite, but in very different ways. Based on quite a few tracks, I found HE1000's bass presentation to be more musical and fun, without losing out on the low frequency detail level.

- Mids-wise, both were close to neutral but with slight colourations; HE1K comparatively was warmer but more laid-back, while HD800 cooler and more forward sounding. Detail-wise both have zero complaints from me, at least at a meet background noise setting.

- Treble. My brain felt that HE1K had the better treble tone, but HD800 had the better treble technicalities. Both are very close to optimal treble tone AND technicalities though, but swapping between them I noted this dichotomy.

- Headstaging / 3D imaging...both headphones are able to achieve "out of the head" lateral headstaging. HD800 does it a bit more cleanly, but HE1K presents a much more dramatic and impress-able headstage because of the sheer physicality of its sound.

But ultimately, the crux of HD800, as I have found time and time before when auditioning it on different systems, is that it is just not a genre master. It is a savant at some genres, excellent at some others, and just not that enjoyable for some genres. Meanwhile the HE1Ks held an impressive constancy in terms of how much they make every track (regardless of genre) FUN, despite it being a neutral, flagship-esque sound signature and characteristics.

That is really something not very quantifiable, it is the overall cohesive experience. Listening to HE1K side-by-side with HD800s yesterday, I realized that HE1Ks' real strength is actually that.

Jun 26, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #802 of 3,817
The folks at Woo suggested the following combination to power the HE-1000's to achieve magical sound from my high rez music using my computer:

new WA5-LE costs $3699

optional internal parts upgrade costs another $1210
(V-Cap, Jensen, Black Gate caps)

plus the WDS-1 Reference DAC $1199

Thoughts? Alternatives?

Jun 26, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #803 of 3,817
I'm sure it will sound good!

Jun 26, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #804 of 3,817
  The folks at Woo suggested the following combination to power the HE-1000's to achieve magical sound from my high rez music using my computer:

new WA5-LE costs $3699

optional internal parts upgrade costs another $1210
(V-Cap, Jensen, Black Gate caps)

plus the WDS-1 Reference DAC $1199

Thoughts? Alternatives?

I would consider the Schiit Yggardisil (spelling) for the DAC, it is the cream of the crop south of $5G, IMO. 

Jun 26, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #805 of 3,817
I would say the HEK could be classified as an acquired taste, and fully expect something as unique as these would be controversial. I can certainly see that someone would much prefer a more dynamic, exciting signature. They are going into major rotation with my other phones for my different moods.

Jun 26, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #806 of 3,817
  I would say the HEK could be classified as an acquired taste, and fully expect something as unique as these would be controversial. I can certainly see that someone would much prefer a more dynamic, exciting signature. They are going into major rotation with my other phones for my different moods.

I guess what is dynamic for some may not be for others. For me they are very dynamic and deliver very good bass control and punch. Maybe it is amp dependent but to my ears, it was only an acquired taste in that they are very unheadphone like, which is a great relief, IMO. 

Jun 26, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #807 of 3,817
I suppose you could call them acquired, I thought they were involving on early listening. Had to return the first unit, really didn't get a good audition, find the replacement addicting indeed.

Jun 26, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #808 of 3,817
Hey,

How are we coming on this?

Jun 26, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #809 of 3,817
Yeah, I do think the HEK is an acquired taste, but it took me about a minute to acquire it as soon as I put them on. This is a BIG sound here. Yep, involving, addictive, engaging, even unheadphone-like (speaker-like)... all of the above apply. I'm so happy I have these.
Are they worth the price for what they do? Well, the short answer is yep. (Are Beats worth $100 - $300? Nah. I don't think if Steve Jobs was still around he would have approved of the decision to buy Beats. I think he had too much good taste.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back