Official HIFIMAN HE1000 Impressions Thread
Jun 27, 2015 at 2:36 AM Post #812 of 3,817
i do not have the recommended 150 burn-in time so take my impressions with a grain of salt.

these headphones are what i would describe as pleasant to listen to - very easy on the ears.

slightly warm in lower mids giving body to vocals, but robbing headphone of absolute clarity; these are clear headphones but not the clearest.

treble is extended and initially sounded slightly disjointed from the mids because the upper-mids appear to sound slightly attenuated. the treble is quite good though and improving. it seems to blend better with the mids than it initially did.

impact is very good, but again, not the best i've heard.

i initially felt there was a slightly bleached sound in the upper mids, which is strange cause i would normally associate that with a brighter upper midrange- as i said though, these headphones are slightly warm, not bright. in any event, that trait of bleachness is subsiding. i also think the sound has opened up a little since initial listening and clarity has improved a little bit - time will tell to see if the clarity improves further

sound is reasonably large, but in my opinion still like a headphone; doesn't sound like a speaker to me as some have stated

detail retrieval seems to be very good

some have claimed an electrostat quality...i can kind of see that. the sound is smooth and the headphone imparts little texture of its own. it has a refined sound...but you won't confuse this for a stax 009, which tends to have a brighter tonality and a more forward sound in the vocals and mids. the he1000 mids are pretty neutral to slightly recessed, not forward. the he1k is defintely more full bodied than stax though.

bass is good as others have said. it's not the tightest bass or the fastest bass, but it is full and the natural decay presents bass in an interesting way.

the headphone won't wow you when you first listen but it's a nice full sound. i do think the slightly recessed upper mids encourages me to turn the volume up more than i might normally. i also find these headphones to be power hungry, though my gs-x mk2 certainly has enough power.

in some ways, tonality-wise the he1000 reminds me of an akg 712. the he1000 has better bass, impact, and overall refinement. i would describe the sound as bottom-up or bottom-weighted rather than top down.

is there a headphone i prefer? yes, i prefer the mcintosh mhp1000 which is more impactful, clearer, and in my opinion, faster and deeper bass, withan overall more neutral sound. the mhp1000, however, is not warm and the lower mids aren't quite as full, though i believe this is a slight coloration of the he1000.

well there you have it. the he1k is an excellent headphone overall, perhaps more euphonic with some bloom as opposed to absolute neutraility. this actually may make it somewhat more forgiving of poor recordings, but may also mean that it's slightly less revealing ...not completely sure about that yet.

will i keep it? not 100% sure, but it certainly ranks up there with the best. so why would i consider returning it? comes down to value and my overall preference for the mcintosh. that said, i could easily see the he1k improving to be my favorite and a real keeper. i'll keep an open mind as i continue to burn it (and my brain) in.

Jun 27, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #813 of 3,817
I don't think they're an acquired taste and I think they sound like headphones.

That's quite a collection of headphones you have there.

Jun 27, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #814 of 3,817
The rest of the gear ain't bad either!

Jun 27, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #816 of 3,817
Think I'm spoiled...went to the Jersey shore, left the HEk/ZOTL combination home. Brought sine decent headphones along, Audeo PFE 232, Ultimate Ears UE 900, Pono, some others, missing the clarity, open sound, details, silence between notes...got it bad (and that ain't good...)

Spare the Rod and SPOIL the doctor with jazz and HEK/ZOTL2 combo!
its bad in the blues sense .....get down with the bad, its your birthday
all year this year! (mine is Monday, so I'm taking tomorrow off for my one
day vacation from birthday celebration, but tonight its the DEAD simulcast
at the local ROCK and Brew Kiss pub simulcast with a city wide DEAD gathering
of kindred spirits....but I'm sure the sound will be better back home with
the MZotl2 and HE400is, my fav combo through a Mojo Audio NOS  DAC.
Spare the ROD AND spoil the doctorjazz.

Jun 27, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #817 of 3,817
Do miss the hek/ZOTL combo, back home tomorrow (missing the beach weather as well, but that's a different story). Dead gathering sounds like fun, "sometimes the light's all shining on me", big screen and all!

Jun 27, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #818 of 3,817
{If this information has already been posted, I apologize.  However, I find this quite useful, and would like to thank the original authors, Currrawong, Sorrodje, and Negura.)
There's a "wiki" on this site with a nice listing of links to major reviews.  The original authors are Currawong, Sorrodje and Negura (My handle also showed up because I added some links to reviews later. I didn't know that would happen until I saw my handle show up there by the title and then I thought....Uh-Oh...).  If you've written a review, it's a place where you could post a link to it in this "centralized" location.  Here's a link to the list of reviews; clicking on the title of any review will take you directly to that review:

List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews, impressions and videos

Jun 28, 2015 at 2:29 AM Post #819 of 3,817
HE 1000? What's the deal with the amp?  I have a large selection of highness phones, HD800's, Foster TH900, Audeze LCD3's, Beyers T5p, etc. and they all have been used with my Woo WA7 fireflies and sound terrific with minimal power; however, the HE1000's, while sounding terrific, seem to need much more power and a much higher volume to rock them out.  I'm confused as the HE 1000's are only 35 Ohms and the LCD's are 110 Ohms---yet the HE's need the volume turned WAY up and the LCD3's need minimal power. Any ideas, suggestions?  I spoke with the good folks at Woo Audio and they indicate that they'd noticed that the HE 1000's were a bit on the power hungry side---which surprised them too.  They suggested another amp of theirs.  Seems very strange.....Please help!  I love the phones but if i have to keep powering them at this volume they may just have to go back to the shop...

Thanks,
alan 

Using 105 dB SPL for a target peak in volume, the HE1000 would need quite a bit more current output from the amp compared to the headphones you listed.

Here are the numbers:
Sennheiser HD800 - 361 Ω @ 1 kHz, 5.130 mW, 1.361 Vrms, 3.770 mA
Fostex TH900 - 26 Ω @ 1 kHz, 4.675 mW, 0.349 Vrms, 13.410 mA
LCD-3 Fazor - 114 Ω, 4.474 mW, 0.714 Vrms, 6.265 mA
Beyerdynamic T5p - 34 Ω @ 1 kHz, 2.813 mW, 0.309 Vrms, 9.097 mA
HE1000 Beta - 34 Ω, 76.610 mW, 1.614 Vrms, 47.468 mA

Here's a nice article written by JDS Labs about how much power your amplifier would need:
http://blog.jdslabs.com/?p=1285

For my listening preferences, ~200 mW of power is all that I would need to cover my amplifier needs even with an inefficient headphone, and indeed that's what I've found to be the case from the various amps I've tried.

Jun 28, 2015 at 8:23 AM Post #820 of 3,817
  HE 1000? What's the deal with the amp?  I have a large selection of highness phones, HD800's, Foster TH900, Audeze LCD3's, Beyers T5p, etc. and they all have been used with my Woo WA7 fireflies and sound terrific with minimal power; however, the HE1000's, while sounding terrific, seem to need much more power and a much higher volume to rock them out.  I'm confused as the HE 1000's are only 35 Ohms and the LCD's are 110 Ohms---yet the HE's need the volume turned WAY up and the LCD3's need minimal power. Any ideas, suggestions?  I spoke with the good folks at Woo Audio and they indicate that they'd noticed that the HE 1000's were a bit on the power hungry side---which surprised them too.  They suggested another amp of theirs.  Seems very strange.....Please help!  I love the phones but if i have to keep powering them at this volume they may just have to go back to the shop...

Thanks,
alan 

A Stereophile article on impedances and driving ease:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/grado-sr60i-headphones-exploding-myth-about-headphones

Jun 28, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #821 of 3,817
I am listening to Beethoven: Symphony #4 In B Flat, via the Hugo to the Zotl Micro with VT99 RCA grey glass with input tubes, CV4024. Excellent depth, detail and on extremely complex passages, absolutely no compression or loss of the spread of the orchestra or depth. Dynamics mimic what I have heard in live performances. No, it is not the same as being there (nobody beside me making irritating sounds or someone coughing, lol) but, it is superb the way the HE1000 can handle the transients with no hint of compression to disrupt the musical and the mood. Wonderful stuff! 

Jun 28, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #822 of 3,817
"Being there" - hate this phrase. Prefer "brings the performers into my listening room" .

How much better is the 1000 versus the HE560? Triple?
Law of diminishing returnns.....

Jun 28, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #823 of 3,817
Hugo has been on my wish list for a while...I'm assuming the amp is much inferior to the ZOTL from the way you use it...

Jun 28, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #824 of 3,817
"Being there" - hate this phrase. Prefer "brings the performers into my listening room" .

How much better is the 1000 versus the HE560? Triple?
Law of diminishing returnns.....

Its a good step up from the 560. Brings better detail, particularly in the treble, and brings on a completely different level of dynamics and soundstage, giving the sound a lot more life.

Jun 28, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #825 of 3,817
I must admit, I do love the imaging of my 560. Never imagined a headphone could image some singers outside of the earcups, like on the Boston Baroque Players' CD of Mozart's Requiem (Perlman). Can't imagine what the 1000 would do to far surpass that....
and the treble on the 560...best I've heard so far. no brightness, textured and airy. 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back