Official HIFIMAN HE1000 Impressions Thread
May 22, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #61 of 3,817
I don't think the Hifi-M8 can power the HE-6 - It gets it to listenable levels but it hasn't got the power/current output to make the HE-6 sing. When the HE-6 is given the power it needs - it behaves truly different, even at lower volume levels.

I feel the same thing will happen with the Hugo as I have tried the Hugo with the LCD3f and felt it was lacking some power even compared to my Hifi-M8 which drove them better - but I still felt a more powerful amp would be a better suit. I believe what Dr. Fang says about the Hugo not being able to drive the HE-1000 properly.

May 22, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #62 of 3,817
I tended to find the Hugo lacked dynamics, rather than power, if that makes any sense. Music seems to have more impact using the Studio Six or another top amp with the Hugo. 

Today I needed to use a pair of headphones for a Skype call, so I plugged the HE1000s directly into my 2011 MacBook Pro and was listening to music while I waited for the call. I was surprised how pleasant they sounded regardless.

May 22, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #63 of 3,817
Last night I listened to the SACD version of Norah Jones "Come Away With Me". It affected me in a way, that I've never been touched by music before.
I don't know if it was a case of "2 a.m. all day listening fatigue", or the true satiation of the sound presentation? But it put me in a place that we, as audiophiles
strive to achieve our entire listening careers. No joke.
As it says in my signature, "Music is my recreational drug", and last night daddy got his buzz on 
happy_face1.gif

BTW- We need a HE-1000 smilie! 
beerchug.gif

May 22, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #65 of 3,817
  Last night I listened to the SACD version of Norah Jones "Come Away With Me". It affected me in a way, that I've never been touched by music before.
I don't know if it was a case of "2 a.m. all day listening fatigue", or the true satiation of the sound presentation? But it put me in a place that we, as audiophiles
strive to achieve our entire listening careers. No joke.
As it says in my signature, "Music is my recreational drug", and last night daddy got his buzz on 
happy_face1.gif

BTW- We need a HE-1000 smilie! 
beerchug.gif

That's awesome!!
Last night I broke down and did 30 minutes listening (that was about 72 hours of burn-in) before the 100 hours mark I was planning to wait for.
I am a Fleetwood Mac junkie (Hello, my name is Jose and I am a Fleetwood Mac addict 
tongue.gif
). One of my favorite songs is "Beautiful Child" the version from the 25 years box set. So I hooked up the HE1K to my MHA100 and listened to it..... Oh my!! Ms Nicks sounded so beautiful! It took me to that same place you are describing....

My system is:
Mac Mini dedicated server (8Gb RAM, 120Gb internal SSD for software, 1TB Internal HD for music, Linear External Power supply).
iRiver 20 or Audirvana 2
iFi iUSB power supply and inline iPurifier
USB cables WireWorld Platinum Eclipse
Mark Levinson 37 CD Transport
WireWorld Gold Eclipse XLR
Bricasti M1 DAC
WireWorld Eclipse 6 XLR
McIntosh MHA100 or Woo Audio WA5-LE fully upgraded.

For sure the HE1K are getting better with Burn-in. They probably still a little more because the highs are still bright some times but nevertheless a significant improvement from when out of the box IMO.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
May 22, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #66 of 3,817
At 24 hours on the HE1000 and they continue to improve. I was listening to Lyle Lovett, The Road to Ensenada and I had goosebumps down my back. That almost never happens. 

75 hours:
Even compared to some good IEM's I have, I can hear some details like recording method, with the HEK, that were not as obvious. I was listening to a song I have heard many times and restarted it because I had not noticed the tape hiss before. It doesn't intrude into the music but the differentness acoustical space/sound was not made as obvious to me that it was not only a different venue but also most likely recorded analogue whereas most of the recordings where digital. Interesting and nice to hear a phone that seems to reveal but not in a way as to sterilize the sound but to reveal what is going on. It also tends to make the recording more interesting. And in a strange way, the noise floor seems to be lowered in that more is revealed. I have to add that my home amp that I built is also more than I realized, in its capabilities and synergy with the HE1000. 

May 22, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #68 of 3,817

2.5mm plugs (similar to Oppo connectors) on the headphone side.

It comes with 3 cables: 1/4", 1/8" and 4-pin XLR..

It is very nice of Hifiman to supply us with these cables.  Wonder if the cable is copper or silver plated?  Is it a special OFC wire?   Instead of going with three cables...how about just concentrate on one really good cable terminated with 4-pin XLR plus additional adapters?  This should be cheaper and allow utilization of the best wire.

May 22, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #69 of 3,817
6 feet. They're very long

May 22, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #70 of 3,817
May 22, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #71 of 3,817
I must say, I've had about 30 hours on them.
@MattTCG
, I agree that there should be a list of things that we would like to improve upon. However, remember that we aren't supposed to talk about build quality on the public forums. I think it may be best to PM Hifiman privately. That being said, I agree with your initial list:

1) Resize leatherstrap & overall fitting to accommodate smaller headsizes and fit more in-line with actual average human head sizes. definitely #1 thing that should be addressed & a required fix IMO!!  nothing would be more disappointing for prospective buyers to fall in love with these, but not be able to purchase due to fitting issues. If I was designing these headphones, I would also cut the height of the metal suspension strap as the top few settings will never realistically be used in current form, so you can achieve a more streamlined design (though that may change though after the leather strap fitting is adjusted). The smallest setting should be able to cater to females as well (currently the bottom of the headphone's earcups drop below the jawline for quite a few of my female friends to an extent that the earpads do not properly seal).

2) Extra set of earpads would be welcome as well, but more importantly deeper earpads!!! same concerns as above. there is quite a large percentage of users that will have ears prominent enough to run into a comfort issue, this should be addressed in a TOTL headphone. Also, there are initial reports of users playing with earpad mods. Really should not be necessary at this price point. I think a deeper earpad will give similar sonic benefits for those people who've experimented with Audeze Vegan earpads, and I do strongly believe that the results will turn out to be able to provide even better overall sound quality with the hybrid leather-velour design).

From a through examination of the headphones and having quite a few people try them on, I think those are the two most important design fixes that must be addressed on the current HE-1000 (that fall in the realm of things that we can publicly post about).

edit: I currently have no sonic complaints from initial sonic impressions, but will need more time doing critical listening. I don't like to post specifically about the sound until I've gotten a chance to do some extensive testing, which hopefully will occur over this weekend! :)

THIS. I'm on the lowest setting which is indeed very comfortable but these headphones could have not fit at all. This really should be fixed before release.

One other thing: They sound NOTHING like the HD650s. If you think this then you care clearly not giving them enough juice (especially if you have to turn the volume knob up past 2'o clock).

Note I'm using the iFi micro iDSD which has plenty of power (and then some) to drive these. I have about 30+ hours on them. What is readily apparent is how small the LCD-3 soundstage is compared to the H1K. That probably accounts for the "laid" back comments I'm reading. Personally, I don't think these are even remotely laid back but they do present quite a grand headstage. Very impressive out of the box.

They are also quite fast...

May 22, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #72 of 3,817
Listening to the 901 in the dock with the buffer on to an amp. Male voice extremely good, great detail retrieval and the feel of the acoustical space is enjoyable and natural. 

I am also using the HE1000 straight out of the X5II. Very enjoyable. 

May 22, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #73 of 3,817
Got mine yesterday, so far they remind of the Sennheiser Orpheus sound stage and even detail wise, very close to e-stat sound, this is probably fastest ortho i've heard, natural sounding, some say warm but its not nearly as warm as my 500 even with its silver recable, the 500 is more midcentric, the 1000 is more neutral, its almost like listening to speakers, the placement of instruments is much improved over my HE500, you can hear every layer of the recording clearly, both micro and ambient details come out very easily, stuff you didn't know existed.

Bass is very realistic and textured, might be the best I've heard, live recordings are beyond phenomenal.

More thoughts to come and of course there's that burn in process.

May 23, 2015 at 6:13 AM Post #75 of 3,817
3000$ = 2724 € ..Add 20% VAT .. ~3300€ I presum.  Not to mention dealer margin maybe. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back