Official Grado-Beyerdynamic Fan Club (for those who love BOTH! :)
May 22, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #77 of 100
This thread died out a long time ago, but Grado and Beyerdynamic are still going strong with new models. My desktop headphone station has two setups; a Hafler HA15 with Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro (Analytical pads), and Schiit Asgard 2 with Grado GH4. Either amp sounds good with either headphone. I use the GH4 with the Schiit amp because of its low gain setting. When I use the Grado/Hafler combo, the volume pot never goes beyond 9:00.

At first I was using Hafler/Beyer for jazz and Schiit/Grado for rock, but I soon found that production values and mastering were far more important than genre. Now I switch based on the song or album. The Grado has exceptional transparency and dynamics, snappier sound. The DT 1990 has a richer tone with more detail, deeper and more present bass and more upper treble (V-shape). The GH4 has a more open sound, but the DT 1990 has a deeper soundstage.

Basically I use the GH4 for a recording where I value openness, the DT 1990 for more low mid warmth and bass power. I usually choose Grado for MP3, because lossy compression loses some punch. Sometimes I switch just for comfort, going from on-ear to circumaural or vice versa. My LG G8 phone sounds great with the GH4, a bit lazy and lacking PRaT with the 250-ohm DT 1990.

Major Hi-Fi did a comparative review of my headphones, but I don't agree with many of the opinions, especially this one: "these headphones parallel each other in so many ways". I find them radically different, physically, technically and sonically, each great in its own way.
https://majorhifi.com/grado-gh4-vs-beyerdynamic-dt-1990-pro-review/

Last edited:
May 22, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #78 of 100
Audiobomber,
I find that to me my opinion as well. The recording, not the content, drives my selection.
Vito

Feb 24, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #79 of 100
Newly sold both my beyer 250-ohm.(it’s a mess to own 32ohm and 250ohm cans)
Now I have order mmx300 v2 + apple light/minijack adapter)
(Almost half price)
Hope they are good! Planing to use them as my dailydriver.

Can i trust this guy?:

are there any good aftermarked cabel?
(dont need mic)

Jun 9, 2021 at 5:08 AM Post #80 of 100
Have sold some gear. Already have DT1770. considering DT 1990. Is it worth owning both?
or should I buy a new pair of Grado instead?

Jun 9, 2021 at 9:37 AM Post #81 of 100
(it’s a mess to own 32ohm and 250ohm cans)
Is this still an issue? You have the 250-ohm DT 1770, yet are considering another low impedance Grado. My GH4 sounds amazing with my LG phone. The DT 1990 loses a lot unless it's driven by a more powerful amplifier. I have room and a need for both. If the impedance differences really bother you, you could sell the DT 1770 in favour of a 32-ohm DT 177X from Drop.
Have sold some gear. Already have DT1770. considering DT 1990. Is it worth owning both?
or should I buy a new pair of Grado instead?
There's lots of excitement over the latest Grado models, especially the Hemp and 325x, with possible upgrades looming for the Reference Series. I love both the DT 1990 and GH4, and value owning both for their respective strengths and their major differences. The DT 1990 is known to have superior sound quality vs. the DT 1770, however open vs. closed can be an overriding factor for some. The differences between Beyer and Grado are much more pronounced.

What you should do next depends on how attached you are to your DT 1770 and 325 Gold. I would rather have two very different headphones than two more similar headphones. One option would be to keep the 325 Gold, and sell the DT 1770 for a DT 1990. My choice would be to replace the 325 with a more upscale Grado like the Hemp, RS2e or GH4 (if you can find one). Or do nothing and wait a couple of months to see whether Grado upgrades their Reference Series.

Jun 9, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #82 of 100
Thanks for all good advices!
I am okey with different impedance now.
Bought Hel2 with gain switch in front :wink:
I like my gold and DT1770.
Think I will keep them both.
1990 are proably much like DT1770.
So a higher Grado is possible a better option.
Already tried 325X. But DOA. So I returned them.waiting for my money.maybe I will try a later batch of 325.

Jun 10, 2021 at 8:31 AM Post #83 of 100
It's really fun to see this 8 year old thread reborn. I own and have owned both Grado and Beyer headphones. Several models of Beyer over the years. I have the Grado rs2e and the t1 V2 at the moment and like both for their "you are there" feeling. They differ in many respects but both have that one thing in common. The T1 is more comfortable for long listening probably along with the HD800 series as the most comfortable headphones. Many Grado models sit on the ear and will be less comfortable over long listening sessions. The one exception I have tried is the version 3 of the T1. I would suggest great caution as they don't sound like anything Beyer has produced before. They will certainly appeal to people into rap music. I don't know what Beyer was thinking when they created that headphone. The T1 version 1 and version 2 both have strong followings.

Jun 10, 2021 at 8:47 AM Post #84 of 100
Probably I go for a beyerdynamic. Grado is so expensive her in europe.
325x costs 578USD
325X on amazon costs 385USD incl VAT and -freight to me. but no warranty outside US.
and the org price is 295USD.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2021 at 12:24 AM Post #85 of 100
Probably I go for a beyerdynamic. Grado is so expensive her in europe.
325x costs 578USD
325X on amazon costs 385USD incl VAT and -freight to me. but no warranty outside US.
and the org price is 295USD.
Since Beyer is an EU company that pricing is understandable. If you go for the Beyer T1 version 2 there are still many around new for bargain pricing. About half original retail if you look carefully. I would be very careful getting into the version 3 without first auditioning it yourself. The T1 v3 is very far from the normal Beyer sound.

Jun 11, 2021 at 2:12 AM Post #86 of 100
same price for beyer in EU and US.
I will take a look at T1 v2.

Never tried Beyers T-series before

Jun 11, 2021 at 2:31 PM Post #87 of 100
A dealer offer me 20% off on T1 G3
Mmmm.

Jun 11, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #88 of 100
A dealer offer me 20% off on T1 G3
Mmmm.
I urge you not to buy the V3 without an audition. It is very different than you would expect. Extremely dark sounding. Nothing like the traditional Beyer sound. It is also 25 ohm instead of their classic 600 ohm T1 v1 and v2. I think this was an attempt to get more into the plug into portable devices like your phone. You must hear before buying.

Jun 11, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #89 of 100
I urge you not to buy the V3 without an audition. It is very different than you would expect. Extremely dark sounding. Nothing like the traditional Beyer sound. It is also 25 ohm instead of their classic 600 ohm T1 v1 and v2. I think this was an attempt to get more into the plug into portable devices like your phone. You must hear before buying.
Have you heard the Amiron? I found it too mellow. Wondering how the V3 compares?

Jun 11, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #90 of 100
Have you heard the Amiron? I found it too mellow. Wondering how the V3 compares?
My point is that the V3 is nothing like any of the Beyers. It is in a category of it's own. I tired it for 1 day and sent it back. I own the V2 and did own the V1 for many years. The Amiron gets nice reviews but I haven't heard it. I seriously doubt it sounds anything like the V3. Believe me when I say the V3 is VERY different than what you expect from Beyer. You might like it. They have probably sold some just on the company reputation. Musical taste differs so the V3 might be the perfect match for some people. Personally if you are looking for a bass heavy headphone with recessed highs that will plug into your phone I think you can accomplish that for much less than the V3. Just my opinion. I have had high regard for Beyer products in the past and still enjoy the T1 V2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back