Official Goldring DR150 Impressions Thread
Jun 21, 2009 at 10:14 PM Post #662 of 761
Excellent deal for folks in the UK looking for an open alternative to the AD700 craze going on here. I've owned the AD900 and the DR150, and the docs definitely had more bass (quantity) that was not bloated in any way. Better soundstage than a Grado but that's most cans anyway. My only complaint with them was I wish the earpads (interior) were wider, I guess I have big ears. But that's when I paid $110-ish USD.. at this price (~$50USD), I wouldn't complain !

Jun 22, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #663 of 761
just recieved mine today:), well they look good and sound fine, i will wait until they are run in before i give a review as right now they dont sound that good and are very tight around my head which is actually small.the bass also seems non existent which is a shame and treble is very very bright but i have heard this goes away with burn in. so far i am pleased but will wait until i have a couple more hours on them but cant really complain for £30($49) delivered

Jun 23, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #664 of 761
I've got mine but haven't taken them out of the box yet.

Remember - they have a reputation for a lot of improvement with burn in and being quite amp sensitive.

Edit: First listen impressions are good.
Using a Xonar D2 soundcard as source and a Sony STR-D511 (full size AV) or Juice2214 CMOY to amp. It's cleaner with the Sony - sounds a little muddier with the CMOY. Listening to FLACs burned with EAC, either unaltered or with Dolby Headphone (simulating stereo speakers). First impressions are pretty good. They do a good job with Dolby Headphone - sounding like speakers rather than artificial and tinny. It's a good sign. That puts them above most open headphones I've tried at home. I've only really been happy with HD600 and HD580 with Dolby Headphone so far, so they're in good company. No lack of bass either. Could be down to amping, I guess

Jun 23, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #665 of 761
Quote:

Originally Posted by brn80 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've owned the AD900 and the DR150, and the docs definitely had more bass (quantity) that was not bloated in any way.

So what about other respects? Treble, accuracy, colour? I quite fancy some AD700s because of their reputation for comfort but I've heard that the DR150s have the edge in sound quality.

Jun 23, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #666 of 761
well mine are definitly improving all the time
smily_headphones1.gif
so far the really bad treble has almost dissapered with only about 15 hours burn in so far, they do sound much warmer and less fatiguing when run through my av system though. so i understand when people say these are am sensitive, also putting them through the av reciever has brought out the bass in them, i am much happier now. I still dont think they can compare to the hd595 imo but i will wait until they are fully burned in until i make a final judgement

Jun 23, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #667 of 761
Quote:

Originally Posted by ear8dmg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So what about other respects? Treble, accuracy, colour? I quite fancy some AD700s because of their reputation for comfort but I've heard that the DR150s have the edge in sound quality.

Hmm, I guess you should take my comments with a grain of salt as it has been a while since I've owned either and I only did own the 900. From what stood out the most to me; the AD hands down had the wider soundstage, it beats most headphones in this regard. The docs definitely had more bass punch and was quite suited to something like rock which was miserable (to me) on the ADs. The AD probably beats the DR150 in terms of comfort however--like you mentioned, the cushy earpads that almost envelope you + being lightweight takes the cake. That being said, I'm one that minority of people that has issue with the drivers in the AD series resting on my ears and after awhile they'd get hyper-sensitive, so the comfort point was moot for me--same deal with Grados or a supraaural can. The Goldrings were like mini-HD595s in shape, with smaller ear pad openings, which as I've mentioned prior, I wish were slightly larger. As far as treble, I think both had more or less of a treble emphasis, i.e. bright sounding, but in the AD it was definitely more pronounced; the sibilance got to me on some tracks. Out of the two, the AD was definitely the more fatiguing one.

To nail it down to which has the better quality, I think each has its strong suits; however I don't think they would complement each other--they're too similar, imo.

Jun 24, 2009 at 11:04 AM Post #668 of 761
They'd gone out of stock at play.com but it will be worth keeping an eye on. Previous headphone offers have tended to reappear when they have more stock in.

Burn in seems to be doing strange things to the way they respond to amping. The CMOY's taken the lead now.

Jun 28, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #669 of 761
Just thought I'd mention: +1 recommendation for tape removal. I notices that my NS1000s were giving a more convincing 'out of head' experience with Dolby Headphone than the DR150s. In particular, the bass seemed like it was trapped in a box around my head, whereas the mids and treble had a sense of depth to them.

Moved the tape to the sides of the felt, rather than all over the place(as it was - more so in one ear than the other) and the bass range headstage has really opened up. Thanks for the advice to those that recommended it.

Jul 6, 2009 at 1:22 PM Post #671 of 761
Yep, but bear in mind they have been know to turn up at Play.com for £29.99 (more expensive on PlayTrade when the main site is out of stock). I would have probably been happy paying £60 or more for them.

I recognise the your username by the way. You on Hexus or OCUK forums?

Aug 6, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #672 of 761
Phew. Just had a bit of a scare. There was a rattling sound coming from the right earcup of my DR150s when playing bass sounds. Took them to bits and traced it to the driver.

Fortunately a bit of compressed air blown in the general direction of the driver seems to have sorted it. Thought they were a goner.

Aug 14, 2009 at 11:04 AM Post #673 of 761
Hey guys, my DR150's arrived 2 days ago, have been burning them in and listening to them since. I really really like these. I'm using an E-mu 0404 USB as my source/dac/amp, and it does seem to be a nice match.

So far I've listened to music with a lot going on at once (Mars Volta, Venetian Snares) and I must say these headphones do seem to give a detailed sound. I'm definately hearing a few 'new' things in the music, especially at the low-end. I'm going to try a CMOY amp when I can find my cable, as I hear CMOY amps sounds pretty good with DR150's?

Aug 14, 2009 at 12:17 PM Post #674 of 761
It depends on the CMOY. What have you got in mind?

I find my DR150s sound better out of my old Sony Prologic receiver than my Juice 2214 CMOY. The receiver makes them a little less bright and the bass becomes more controlled, placing bass instruments better within the soundstage.

They're quite amp sensitive though. Seem to sound different out of every amp I try.

Anyone got any particular recommendations for amps with the DR150s. I did ask on the amps forum a while ago but didn't get much response.

Aug 14, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #675 of 761
Quote:

It depends on the CMOY. What have you got in mind?

I already have the Penguinamp Caffine, and once I find my jack-to-jack cable, I'll be able to try it out. I've already tried it with Koss KSC75's, and it does a nice job with them. I'll be sure to leave bass boost off with DR150's, as they've got more than enough as it is.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

I find my DR150s sound better out of my old Sony Prologic receiver than my Juice 2214 CMOY. The receiver makes them a little less bright and the bass becomes more controlled, placing bass instruments better within the soundstage.

They're quite amp sensitive though. Seem to sound different out of every amp I try.

I guess it's probably best to experiment and see which amps suit these headphones the best. Right now it does sound very good using the headphones out on my 0404 USB, tho I'm not really sure what sort of amp that uses.

Also, does anyone else find these headphones also sound better than expected with no amp?

I tried them on my netbook and also on a Korg synth, and they're surprisingly good, tho there isn't quite so much bass...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back