Official Denon AH-C700 Comparisons/Impressions
Oct 24, 2008 at 10:56 PM Post #1,186 of 1,418
If you read all 118 pages of this thread, you will find that this Denon C751 does need BURN-IN for at least more than 20 hours.

Oct 24, 2008 at 11:06 PM Post #1,187 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by voicemaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you read all 118 pages of this thread, you will find that this Denon C751 does need BURN-IN for at least more than 20 hours.

Actually, he only needed to read the front page, 'cos I put it on there as a tip. I think I even pointed out that my own C751s sounded very harsh compared with my burned-in C700s
smile.gif

EDIT: I just checked the first page and it does mention burn in.
I had to make the font bigger as it seemed to have shrunk
confused_face(1).gif

Oct 24, 2008 at 11:38 PM Post #1,188 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by voicemaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif

30-40 hours IMO.
Overnight burn-in over a few nights does the job well.
And yeah, the sound is very harsh in the c700/c751's straight out of the box. It lessens significantly via burn-in and the forward mids fall back a bit too or it's not as noticeable.

Oct 25, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #1,189 of 1,418
Well i did say "for at least", i heard the difference at around 22 hours of burning (20 hours of pink noise and 2 hours of listening to music). It maybe differs from one to the other, but 20-30 hours are the most case. I think pink noise is really can shorten up the burn-in process? because it steadily hit all the frequencies at nearly equal level.

Oct 25, 2008 at 2:53 AM Post #1,191 of 1,418
Ah that's good to know. I didn't think earphones burned in because I read that the super.fi 5 pro didn't need burn in so I assumed all other earphones were the same. I'm guessing they are both different types of technology.

I look forward to the sound in a couple of days

Oct 25, 2008 at 3:02 AM Post #1,192 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoeboe2k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm guessing they are both different types of technology.

They are. The Denon's use dynamic drivers and the super.fi 5 Pro use armature drivers. I didn't believe in burn in until I heard the C751s next to my fully burned-in C700s (same earphone, different accessories) - but the C751s sounded very harsh in comparison. It took a minimum of 20 hours for them to smoothen out, so give them some time, and see what you think in a few days
smile.gif

EDIT: I agree with BoilerMakerFan, the Denon tips aren't the best ones to use. Some people have had success with the Comply T-400 foam tips, although I wasn't one of them, as they were too big for my ears! But you should definitely experiment with different tips. There are some suggestions on the first page.

Oct 25, 2008 at 3:41 AM Post #1,193 of 1,418
I'm probably up to 200 hours on mine through my Sony A816 and the change to Koss tips was another huge improvement. If your still using the stock Denon tips, they definitely do not help the sound quality. I'm now considering adding the C551s too.

Nov 2, 2008 at 12:16 AM Post #1,195 of 1,418
Haven't tried D1000, but i can firmly say C751 has better overall sound compared to C551.

Nov 3, 2008 at 9:50 AM Post #1,197 of 1,418
i know they look exactly the same, but the large size tips from my creative ep630's fit perfectly in my ears whereas the stock large denon tips are a struggle to get a good seal. i have both the 551 and 751's and get a seal with mucho bass within 1 second using the creative tips. i'm thinking about ordering the 10 pair pack of sennheiser cx tips from headphone.com but it's like $28 dollars shipped. i'm assuming these are the same tips as creative.

mini review - both sets of phones are bassy. i wasn't expecting this much bass from either set. the 551's have a ton of bass and it's actually too much for me, but i'm listening to this pair more than the 751's which i'm still burning in because the 551's have a more smoothed out treble. the 751's had sharp treble out of the box and after 30 hours of burn in it's getting better, and i'm hoping it gets even better with some more time because the overall sound is more balanced than the 551's with less bass. the 551's have less hours on them but i'm noticing less of a change in sound, likely because it's bass dominated. with a heavy and muddy rock mix the headphones tend to get muddy sounding and don't sound much different from the ep630's, but are much better on clearer mixed music.

with so much bass both sets of phones are really fun to listen to. initially i was disappointed with iem's starting with etymotic 6i's and then these because my really old setup was the old model akg 701's through miscellaneous high powered integrated amps with dedicated single disc cdp's (rotel, arkam, roksan, nad, etc.). i realize i can't get that same sound through an ipod at 192vbr and some iem's, but i'm getting used to the sound and it's ultraportable...and i don't have any of my old equipment anymore
frown.gif

right now the 551's are winning out. they are comfortable to listen to because they are warm and smooth sounding whereas the treble gets to me after a bit on the 751's. does anyone have a recommendation for the 751's with less treble...the atrio a5's??? while i'm at it, is there a headphone like the atrio with a clearer sound...i know this will probably be more expensive.

i'll probably come back to this thread, give me a week or two to get more hours on the earphones and also some more burn in time
icon10.gif

Nov 3, 2008 at 10:34 PM Post #1,198 of 1,418
Just wait for about 30-40 hours of burn-in and C751's treble will be smooth out. As far for the tips, try different types and brands of tips because each person will be different.

Nov 7, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #1,200 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by oli84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
where is everyone buying their EX tips from? Just picked myself up a pair of C551's.

search the thread for the Koss tips. They are only $5 a set shipped for free from Koss and are even more comfortable than the Sony EX tips. I used the Sony EX tips for a while since they came with my A816, but I'm a lot happier with the Koss tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back