Official Denon AH-C700 Comparisons/Impressions
Jul 28, 2008 at 7:52 PM Post #1,156 of 1,418
"EP-EX1" is the same product number for the ones I got, so it is likely they are the same as the ones I got.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 5, 2008 at 10:10 AM Post #1,158 of 1,418
[size=xx-small]*bump*[/size]

Ok, so i got a pair of C700s today, and i'm sure everyones had enough of people's impressions on them, but i thought i'd join in the party.

Incidentally, I got them from Iheadphones (had no issues, unlike some other members) for £63.

http://www.iheadphones.co.uk/headpho...AH-C700+BK.htm

Initial Impressions (Pre Burn-In):
Out the box, they definetly seem well made and solid. I can't picture these ever breaking. The cable is of a good thickness, and doesn't seem to tangle (as i believe other people have noted). The seal with the standard tips, preinstalled, was ok for me. In terms of sound, even without being burnt in, the sound is pretty good. The bass is definetly present, clean and strong. As for the highs, they are reasonable. I imagine with different tips and burning in this will change, and if not, a little equalizing won't hurt. I like them so far. The sound stage is reasonably pleasant to. Overall, they seem to be able to imitate bigger 'phones in terms of sound, which is always a plus
smily_headphones1.gif

(fancy Strobist pictures go here)

Post-Burn In
After 20 hours of burn in, they definetly sound better. The response is more even, and the bass and highs are smoother. The seperation is really good.

Aug 12, 2008 at 10:28 PM Post #1,160 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4khris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
soozieq can you share your opinion avout the triple.FI i think my next purchase,how are compared to the 700

Hiya
smile_phones.gif

Hmmm, compared with the C700... well, they cost almost 3 x as much as the C700s so they'd better sound better
tongue.gif

The main difference to my ears is in the soundstage and the midrange. Soundstage is [size=small]HUGE[/size] in comparison. That takes nothing away from the Denons, since they also have a decent soundstage for canalphones, but the Triples are in another league in that respect.

They're similar to the Klipsch Image as far as soundstage is concerned, like a live concert is going on in your head, it's very addictive!

The midrange - imagine the Denon midrange, and then pull it down 2 inches and bring it forward by an inch, and that sort of explains where it is! It's smoother than the Denons, yet still very clear and detailed.

I can't really decide on the treble. They're both nice, but If I had to choose one, I guess it would be the Denon treble. I definitely have a soft spot for it, and never found it harsh in the slightest, just very lively and sparkly. The Triple treble (??) - is very nice though. It doesn't stand out to my ears, but there has been the odd occasion when it's suddenly got out of control (noted by Channum in the TF10 appreciation thread), and pierced my ears quite painfully - but it's happened so rarely, it's not a big deal.

Bass... well, before I bought them, I read a million different views about the bass: too much, too light, too overpowering, bass-shy, etc etc - but to my ears, the bass is pretty perfect. It's more 'weighty' than the Denons, but I think the amount is about the same. One thing to note is they sound different with both my daps. They're more neutral with the Zune and warmer with the Sony. But they sound fantastic with both of them. As for whether they're worth the upgrade, I'd say definitely. The Denons kept me happy for nine months - longer than any other earphones (which says something about how much I liked them), but the Triples are getting the most use now. As for comfort, they're both fine for me. Very different fittings, but equally comfortable.

I prefer the Denon 'magic' tangle-free cable though
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 13, 2008 at 10:27 PM Post #1,161 of 1,418
This thread is awesome. Just saying. I just bought a pair 351s (because they were super cheap) and 551s, and I suppose I should get some 751s soon...or should I? *decisions decisions* Hey, I can't get those EX1 tips in NZ...any other ideas?

Sep 13, 2008 at 5:08 AM Post #1,164 of 1,418
For some reason the left earpiece messed up and you could only hear the sound coming out of it if you turned the volume up high and listened closely. I have no idea why but maybe it's because I use them constantly and can be pretty rough with them sometimes.

I sent them back to Denon (great customer service by the way) and they're sending me a brand new pair! Should arrive Monday.

Sep 14, 2008 at 7:40 AM Post #1,165 of 1,418
A big update for those using their C700/751 with the Sony A81x/82x/72x DAP.

The C700 and my A818 have a good synergy but the treble has always been slightly too piercing/crashing for me and I might have found a way to correct this. First, we need to access the service menu as this thread describes: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/ul...ttings-340621/
Then what I did was set the treble gain to 0 (1.5 is the default setting I believe) in the DAC menu. My normal settings are Clear Bass +1, -1 at 16kHz band, DSEE on, Clear Stereo on, Normalizer off. This clears the upper treble and also tames it down quite significantly for me.

I hope this information is useful for others who use similar setup.

Sep 28, 2008 at 5:12 AM Post #1,167 of 1,418
Would somebody please comment on if/how much the C700s suffer from OCCLUSION? This is very important for me, as I used to own a pair of Etymotic ER6i's that I just couldn't stand listening to owing to all the foot-step noise. I'm looking for earphones for going to school, etc. so I do a lot of walking.

Incidentally, I used to own a pair of Shure e4s (stolen) and found them very acceptable in terms of occlusion levels. The Etys were just particularly horrendous.

Sep 28, 2008 at 12:38 PM Post #1,168 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by velveteer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would somebody please comment on if/how much the C700s suffer from OCCLUSION? This is very important for me, as I used to own a pair of Etymotic ER6i's that I just couldn't stand listening to owing to all the foot-step noise. I'm looking for earphones for going to school, etc. so I do a lot of walking.

Incidentally, I used to own a pair of Shure e4s (stolen) and found them very acceptable in terms of occlusion levels. The Etys were just particularly horrendous.

Very little, especially if you're playing music. It's only noticeable in silence and very that's minor. So yes there is some occlusion but very little.

Sep 28, 2008 at 4:16 PM Post #1,169 of 1,418
Thank you very kindly. Should fit the bill in this respect, then.

Another question: if I were to want to use the C700 with an iphone, are there any known mic attachments that would work with them?

Thanks again!

Oct 4, 2008 at 8:26 AM Post #1,170 of 1,418
i seriously feel like i bought some fake earphones, and i did buy them from amazon.com.
c751s (at least out of the box) sound extremely unnatural. i only hear bass and midrange, and the latter is too exagerated.
i could almost say the koss portapro sounds better then them.
the problem could be the stock silicone tips, which hurt my ears sometimes also.
too bad i can't order comply foam tips to brazil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back