Official Denon AH-C700 Comparisons/Impressions
Jun 3, 2008 at 5:02 PM Post #1,126 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iancraig - Ha ha, so you got the C551s in addition to the C751. Did you get them from the same place as the C751s? Yes, I agree they sound very similar. The bass is great on the C551s. Funnily enough, cnet claimed the C751 bass was waaaay more powerful than the Sony flagship earphone, the MDR-EX700. Both these Denons always get high praise for the bass.

Oh no ... don't laugh!!

I got them from another Internet place - Play.com (After seeing problems that people had with the first company)

They seem to change rapidly from new as well. The bass has really kicked in now and they are extremely mellow. The 751's don't have the bottom end kick that these have and the 751's are a touch brighter at the top. It's nice to change the bass content depending on what I'm listening to actually.

I ended up with the Sony tips too.

I wonder whether some people would find the 551 easier to fit because you can angle them a bit more than the 751 due to the lack of back. For such tiny earpieces, the bass is unbelieveable. It's easy to imagine that they are full size headphones because the sound is enormous.

I like both actually but I have been using the 551's more for sheer entertainment. They put the guts back into the digitalised sound of the Ipods. Once I have used them for a lot of time to really get them loosened up, I'll try them 'like for like' with the 751 amped as well as unamped. I found the 751's take off with an amp behind them so I wonder what the effect will be on the 551's.

Too much travelling at the moment so they're running straight out of ipods and irivers with no amp.

Ian

Jun 9, 2008 at 8:29 PM Post #1,128 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by yawdapaah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will the Shure soft flex tips fit the Denons? Thanks

The black soft flex tips made for the e2/e2c/QuietSpot Shures will fit -- the gray ones won't.

Jun 10, 2008 at 5:14 PM Post #1,130 of 1,418
I'm also interested in this, the normal tips keep getting pushed out by my ear, and I lose like 50% of the bass
frown.gif

Jun 11, 2008 at 12:43 AM Post #1,133 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by yawdapaah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd prefer not to use foam tips. They always look terrible after a while and don't jive with my OCD
redface.gif

I hear ya.
tongue.gif
How different silicone tips fit is a very individual experience. I found the Shure soft flexes fit my ears more snugly than the stock ones while slightly increasing the isolation, bass, and treble of the C700. In the end, I preferred the Ultimate Ears silicone sleeves over anything else, as they had the best combination of fit and sound quality to me.

Jun 11, 2008 at 5:48 AM Post #1,134 of 1,418
I guess I really did love my Denons to death. The sound doesn't come out of the right channel of them unless I tweak the cord above the connector. It hasn't been that long. What should I do?

In the event that I'll need to buckle down and replace them, will the C551s cut it? I hate the thought of downgrading, but money is tight...

Jun 11, 2008 at 5:50 AM Post #1,135 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by ashxcore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess I really did love my Denons to death. The sound doesn't come out of the right channel of them unless I tweak the cord above the connector. It hasn't been that long. What should I do?

In the event that I'll need to buckle down and replace them, will the C551s cut it? I hate the thought of downgrading, but money is tight...

u don't have warranty on them?

Jun 14, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #1,136 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay_booney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fantastic thread guys, i'm brand new to this site, i joined after reading what a good community there is.

Well look at that, another Brightonion here. I thought I was the only one in the City with C700s. Now I know there are at least 2
biggrin.gif

Jun 18, 2008 at 11:08 AM Post #1,137 of 1,418
Hello Bernado, as good as the C700's are i'm sure there are lots of us in Brighton enjoying them. The others just haven't found this site (yet)
biggrin.gif

My C751's arrived a couple of weeks ago and i have had them in my ears every single day at least for a couple of hours and i'm astounded as to how good they are. Coming from cheap sony earbuds to these really is a lovely change. At first i found the treble very bright and ear fatigue set in reasonably quickly. However, with their usage they have loosened up and the detail in music has really shone. The biggest improvement (aside from overall sound quality) is that bass no longer feels like a pressure pulse in my ear, but more of a tight thud as it should sound (possibly due to the port that Denon refers to as the "acoustic optimiser"?). The only way i can describe the bass on the cheap sony's is that it sounded a bit rubbery as if the silicone tips were acting as a diaphragm that was reacting to the bass.
I have used the C700's on a short fight to Jersey and the sound isolation is not that great, but then i guess its almost impossible to block that constant drone out unless there is active noise cancelling implemented (or you deafen yourself with a high volume), I still enjoyed the music though. One tiny bother with the earphones is that the short cable is too short and the long cable is too long.
I would highly recommend these earphones to anyone. In my opinion, they are not greatly suited to very heavy metal/ hard rock music as the treble can be quite splashy and pronounced, but i have enjoyed a lot of rock/pop/classical and acoustic music far more than i did with the Sony's. I better stop now before my post is too long
smily_headphones1.gif

(I highly recommend listening to Mozart's concerto for clarinet and harp through these earphones as it is just beautiful)

Jul 13, 2008 at 1:58 AM Post #1,138 of 1,418
I am going to go against the grain and say that I am disappointed by these pair of earphones. I must admit I am not an audiophile and am very new to high end world of earphones however after receiving my pair of denons 2 wks ago I felt that the treble was too much for my ears and the sound was very hollow and unnatural. This is my first pair of in ear earphones so I have realised these sort of earphones are not for me with all the trouble of fitting the earbuds correctly and the discomfort. On a positive note the bass on these earphones is nicely tuned.

I have since tried the Sennheiser PX100 (white) even though they are cheaper and have some sound leakage...they sound extremely good and natural sounding. The bass is balanced and the treble is detailed and clear. For those who are uncomfortable using In ear earphones I recommend open headphones such as this for maximum comfort, natural sound quality but not suited for public transport perhaps consider the Sennheiser PX200 with it's closed design.

Jul 13, 2008 at 9:29 AM Post #1,140 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by bleach86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am going to go against the grain and say that I am disappointed by these pair of earphones. I must admit I am not an audiophile and am very new to high end world of earphones however after receiving my pair of denons 2 wks ago I felt that the treble was too much for my ears and the sound was very hollow and unnatural. This is my first pair of in ear earphones so I have realised these sort of earphones are not for me with all the trouble of fitting the earbuds correctly and the discomfort. On a positive note the bass on these earphones is nicely tuned.

I have since tried the Sennheiser PX100 (white) even though they are cheaper and have some sound leakage...they sound extremely good and natural sounding. The bass is balanced and the treble is detailed and clear. For those who are uncomfortable using In ear earphones I recommend open headphones such as this for maximum comfort, natural sound quality but not suited for public transport perhaps consider the Sennheiser PX200 with it's closed design.

I think people are used too over powering bass that it takes some time to get used when its toned down. I use my PMX100's for the computer but they really over do the bass. I don't like using them for music at all. Have you heard the PX200 because I've never heard good things about them. Not listened to them myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back