Official Denon AH-C700 Comparisons/Impressions
Apr 23, 2008 at 3:42 AM Post #1,097 of 1,418
I bought these headphones a couple of months ago after reading this thread and I am incredibly happy with my purchase (I was lucky enough to grab them when they were $99 on Amazon).

Anyways, here's a story on how well-built these things are...

Last week my roomate was in the living room with some friends and they were being really loud while I was trying to fall asleep. So I pulled out my laptop and Denon headphones and listened to music while falling asleep to drown the other noise out.

Well it finally quieted down in the living room and I took off my Denons and threw them off to the side of my bed. I heard a clink but didn't really think about it at the time. Well the next morning I wake up and look down where I threw my earphones and saw that I accidentally threw them directly into a glass of water. I mean the entire headphone was sitting in a tall glass of water all night so at the time I thought I was screwed and broke my $100 headphones. I immediately pulled my laptop out and tried them out to see how bad off they were and to my suprise, there was no damage at all! They sounded exactly the same as the day before after sitting in a glass of water all night. Very impressive
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 23, 2008 at 4:35 AM Post #1,098 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doogie Howser M.D. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought these headphones a couple of months ago after reading this thread and I am incredibly happy with my purchase (I was lucky enough to grab them when they were $99 on Amazon).

Anyways, here's a story on how well-built these things are...

Last week my roomate was in the living room with some friends and they were being really loud while I was trying to fall asleep. So I pulled out my laptop and Denon headphones and listened to music while falling asleep to drown the other noise out.

Well it finally quieted down in the living room and I took off my Denons and threw them off to the side of my bed. I heard a clink but didn't really think about it at the time. Well the next morning I wake up and look down where I threw my earphones and saw that I accidentally threw them directly into a glass of water. I mean the entire headphone was sitting in a tall glass of water all night so at the time I thought I was screwed and broke my $100 headphones. I immediately pulled my laptop out and tried them out to see how bad off they were and to my suprise, there was no damage at all! They sounded exactly the same as the day before after sitting in a glass of water all night. Very impressive
smily_headphones1.gif

Holy mackerel! That is hysterical! Good for you that they seem to be fine. I hope they continue to prove to be so. I agree with you on the solid construction...although no incidents like that for me. I do feel less paranoid about using these day in/day out, unlike my Sleek SA6's. They seem to be just fine in build quality, but at $250 a pop, I just feel more aware of what I'm doing with them! I picked up the Denon C551's recently as a 'back-up' phone to the Sleeks- at $65 I couldn't not go for them. I have been using them as my daily earphone from then on without worry. And it also happens that they pair very nicely with my new Sony NWZ-A829.
biggrin.gif

Apr 23, 2008 at 5:09 AM Post #1,099 of 1,418
Hopefully no one tries to swim with their C700/C551
biggrin.gif
lol

Apr 23, 2008 at 6:58 AM Post #1,100 of 1,418
Can't believe I paid full $199 retail for my AH-C700 almost a year ago and I still have them, and still use them.

The only other headphones that I have had that long are my Alessandro MS-1, and everything else from before head-fi has been replaced with newer or better stuff.

Apr 23, 2008 at 5:12 PM Post #1,101 of 1,418
I was in Fry's last weekend and spotted the C700s for $54.99, an unbelievable price, so I grabbed them. I had problems getting a good fit and seal and the sound was tinny as a result. The cables are relatively thick and, at least in my case, they interfere with getting a full insertion into the ears. I did what I have done with other canal cans, turned them upside down and looped the cables over my ears. I also put a homemade slider on the cables so that I could stabilize the loops. BINGO! Without the cables in the way, I got a complete insertion, good positioning and a very good seal with the medium tips. The bass is deep and rich and the overall soundstage is very good. I'm using them on a Creative Zen 32GB which has somewhat less volume than Ipods and some other DAPs so I do have to crank up the volume a bit (15-17 range outdoors). I do get some mild microphonics through the cable but it's not that distracting. I have a set of Bose IEs that also require a lot of volume to drive them but the Denons get so much more sonic bang for the volume buck that it's not close. If you're still having fit problems, try flipping these suckers and see if helps.

Apr 23, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #1,102 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by voicemaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hopefully no one tries to swim with their C700/C551
biggrin.gif
lol

Just make sure you get a REALLY good seal.

Apr 23, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #1,103 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't believe I paid full $199 retail for my AH-C700 almost a year ago and I still have them, and still use them.
The only other headphones that I have had that long are my Alessandro MS-1, and everything else from before head-fi has been replaced with newer or better stuff.

I paid $150 for mine (inc. postage) and I don't regret it at all.
People who are picking them up for less than $60 are getting the bargain of the century!

I still love mine. They've seen off a LOT of other headphones and I've been through a fair few out of sheer curiosity. But despite the initial positive 'new toy' impressions I've had of many of them, I always seem to end up going back to the Denons. The SA6 were the nicest so far, but they lacked bass for me. I love the bass on the Denons, and I'm not even a basshead
biggrin.gif

And I also love how sturdy they are. Although I take good care of them, it's reassuring to know that Doogie Howser's attempted murder-by-drowning incident didn't kill them off! Doogie!!!
eek.gif

Apr 24, 2008 at 4:34 PM Post #1,104 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And I also love how sturdy they are. Although I take good care of them, it's reassuring to know that Doogie Howser's attempted murder-by-drowning incident didn't kill them off! Doogie!!!
eek.gif

Haha, I almost had a heart attack when I woke up and saw them sitting in the glass of water. That was also the first time I can ever remember putting a glass of water on my floor instead of on the nightstand next to my bed.
tongue.gif

Apr 30, 2008 at 1:32 PM Post #1,105 of 1,418
Has anyone figured out this the black cotton wool "filter"?
I am sure that the time will come when this filter will become dirty and needs replacing, or could I do without it? what is beneath this filter....feels like a metal grid?
It is impossible to give it a good clean.

May 12, 2008 at 12:55 PM Post #1,106 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
-----------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------

OK, so I've been a bit lazy with this comparison, but still. . . I've done it now!

Firstly, it doesn't seem at all fair to compare a set of $480 headphones with the $100 Denons (I bought the Image from Amazon UK and they are way more expensive here.) But this IS a comparison thread so it's fair game. I haven't decided if I'll keep the Image yet, I'm still trying them out.

So to keep it 'brief', these are my impressions after 3 days with the Image plus the Zune 80

Soundstage: They have an entirely different soundstage to the Denons. It's bigger, more immersive - and more like being in a mini studio. It breathes life into tired old CDs that sound crap with most headphones. Listening (shamefully) to Donna Summer's 'Hot Stuff' was like being transported into a disco and standing between the speakers. The 'circular' soundstage alone makes everything feel very 'trippy'. It's seductive, addicitve and once you've heard it, it's hard to go back. And the bass at the beginning of the song actually reverbed in my chest!

Bass: It's in a different category altogether. It slams with a lot of force (in a positive way.) I don't actually hear more bass than the Denons - I hear the same amount, but presented with a lot more impact and bounce. It seems to drop in from a height which gives an incredible feeling of spaciousness/separation.

Treble: I prefer the quality of the Denon treble. I'd 'guess' there is the same amount of detail in both headphones - but the Denon treble is way more sparkly and engaging and I've always said I love the Denon treble. I definitely feel the sparkle is missing from the Image.

Midrange: Most of us agree that the Denon midrange is very forward. Well, the Image midrange is much more so. This can make louder volumes uncomfortable because the vocals are very close to the head and it can feel as if you're being shouted at. So I prefer the Denon midrange and I also prefer the clearer vocals with the Denons. The Image vocals are much warmer, not necessarily in a bad way (depending on preference) - but just compared with the Denons. This would probably only be relevant with an eq-less dap as the midrange could easily be tamed with a little EQ adjustment.

The differences between the Klipsch + Sony was not so noticeable to my ears. A bigger soundstage and more bass, yes - but then the Sony has bass adjustments that work very well, so that was never an issue. The issue I had was finding a pair of headphones I could use with the Zune which would eliminate my yearning for some EQ. The Image does that very well, but at a price I feel quite sick about
frown.gif

So, the Klipsch Image + Zune is the best portable combination I've ever heard. . . ever. The whole sound is very lifelike, but if anyone read the Klipsch Image review thread - onlychild mentioned the Denons had more bass than the Klipsch - until a different dap was used - so the Image is no doubt sensitive to what it's paired with.

Despite the lack of sparkly treble and slightly aggressive midrange - it's easy to forget all that when the Image soundstage and bass kicks in. I think I was lucky to have found a good combination for the Zune. It took me months to find the right combination for the Sony - and it was a lot cheaper!

So I have 2 amazing setups now. The Sony + Denons is ideal for when I'm wandering round the house and can 'wear' the Sony, and also when I'm out and about. And the Zune + Image is perfect for sitting in one place and just listening! Now I plan to spend the next few weeks actually listening to music (and figuring out whether I should keep the Image or not!)

All in all - the Image is a wonderful headphone if paired with the right dap - but it didn't outperform the Denons as far as treble quality/sweetness was concerned. And I preferred the Denon's less aggressive midrange. BUT. . . the Image bass + soundstage + Zune has to be heard to be believed!

Hi soozieq, I currently use Denon C700. And I have to say I love them very much, EXCEPT the bass and isolation with my Zune 80.

I feel the bass seems be not enough to my ears. Looking at your reviews that compares Denon and Image. The Image have stronger bass and better isolation than the Denon. I'm about to come up with a pair of Image. But I also heard that Sleek SA6s good, too. As you'd owed both the Image and SA6s, if you have a choise btw them, which one would you keep? Is the bass of Sleeks equals or better than Denon (I need more BASS)?
Let's assume: source ZUNE 80, price the same (I could get the Image a little cheaper). I think we have the same listening preferences, and I like your choice. Can you give some reasons why you chose that IEMs (like isolation, comfort,microphonic and other SQ aspects)?
My Zune: 10GB rock, 30GB instruments, 30GB Pop, 5GB dance, 5GB vocals.

And I' going to order the Comply T400 for my Denon C700 to get more comfort and isolation (perhaps more SQ). I found a site that sell one pack of 3 standard size ONLY. It's good because I don't want to buy 1 pack with 3 different size then end up with using only 1 size
mad.gif
. The Denon medium size tip fitted perfectly to me. So the Comply T400 standard size would fit me well ?

Thank you v.much.

May 12, 2008 at 1:46 PM Post #1,107 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by maiieu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi soozieq, I currently use Denon C700. And I have to say I love them very much, EXCEPT the bass and isolation with my Zune 80.

I feel the bass seems be not enough to my ears. Looking at your reviews that compares Denon and Image. The Image have stronger bass and better isolation than the Denon. I'm about to come up with a pair of Image. But I also heard that Sleek SA6s good, too. As you'd owed both the Image and SA6s, if you have a choise btw them, which one would you keep? Is the bass of Sleeks equals or better than Denon (I need more BASS)?

I returned the SA6 and sold the Image. If you don't think the C700s have enough bass with the Zune - then you definitely won't get enough bass from the SA6. As there's no EQ on the Zune, you're stuck with the bass as it is.

The SA6 is lovely in all other respects, but I found the bass lacking. Once the extra bass port is released, I would want to try them again, since they really did have a nice sound.

The Image: I guess I should update that comparison as it was based on 'initial' impressions which (for me), changed quite a bit. With more listening (after the novelty factor had worn off - I found them much too warm, even with the fairly neutral Zune. And I couldn't take the 'in the brain' vocals anymore. Although I prefer a warm sound to a cold bright sound - the Image was just over the top in that respect.

The one thing NOT lacking with the Image is bass! I can't see that you'd be disappointed with the amount of bass, it's huge.

Can you get to listen to them on a trial period? They're too expensive to buy blind unless you know you can sell them or return them!

EDIT: Microphonics were pretty bad with the Image, the SA6 was much better.

Isolation (for me) was better with the Image, but because they're so tiny, you have to really jam them in your ear (which is why they isolate more, I guess)

May 12, 2008 at 2:03 PM Post #1,108 of 1,418
Soozieg,

I think if the Denon is paired with other sources then the Zune, the bass should be fine for me. But I have no other, but the Zune.

Excepting "in the brain" vocal, other aspects of the Image is good comparing to the Denon?

I can't wait for the release of port Sleek Bass++. Who know when they would be available.

Finally, which one would you keep IF YOU MUST CHOOSE ONE? Perhaps this is my main question.

I read in somewhere that you owned the Comply T400, too. Could you help me out above question?

Thanks again.

May 12, 2008 at 4:22 PM Post #1,109 of 1,418
Quote:

Soozieg, I think if the Denon is paired with other sources then the Zune, the bass should be fine for me. But I have no other, but the Zune.

I also thought the bass was light with the C700/Zune. Then I bought the SA6 and used them exclusively for a week to let my ears adapt to the sound without making any comparisons in between. When I went back to the C700s I heard plenty of bass and I haven't complained about it since (despite having just sold the Zune)

Try using phones without much bass (if you have any lying around), and listen to them for a while before going back to the Denons. You'll soon hear the difference!

Quote:

Finally, which one would you keep IF YOU MUST CHOOSE ONE? Perhaps this is my main question.

Look at what I kept/loved. That should tell you what I chose. I'm trying out the Triple.fi's at the moment but haven't yet made a decision about them.

Quote:

I read in somewhere that you owned the Comply T400, too. Could you help me out above question?

I've just (hopefully) sold the Comply tips since I found they were too big for my delicate little ears
tongue.gif

As for the Image - I chose the Denons above them since I didn't care for the over-emphasized warmth of the Image once I'd given them more listening time. 'Initial impressions' and 'long-term impressions' usually end up quite far apart when I'm listening to headphones. The Image might sound great with a cold bright player, but they weren't for me. I loved the bass most of all, but long-term listening requires a lot more than a quick fix of bass (at least it does for me) - but only you know what sound you're looking for.

May 12, 2008 at 4:58 PM Post #1,110 of 1,418
Quote:

Soozieg,

I think if the Denon is paired with other sources then the Zune, the bass should be fine for me. But I have no other, but the Zune.

Excepting "in the brain" vocal, other aspects of the Image is good comparing to the Denon?

I can't wait for the release of port Sleek Bass++. Who know when they would be available.

Thanks again.

How much time have you spent with the C700 + Zune combo? It's important to give your mind some time to adjust, then decide what to do if you're still not happy. I've personally found them to be a great combo, the C700's aren't heavy on the bass, but I find it to be good in quality, present without hurting the mids or highs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back