Official Denon AH-C700 Comparisons/Impressions
Apr 17, 2008 at 10:27 PM Post #1,081 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use a good ol' Sony A818.

They're a really nice match with the Sony.
Made for each other like Romeo and Juliet
biggrin.gif
. . . although they both ended up dead
confused.gif

Apr 18, 2008 at 12:12 PM Post #1,082 of 1,418
Just as a heads up to any UK head-fiers who want to get some Sony EX tips but have been put off by the cost they are now available from an Amazon Marketplace trader for £4.51 delivered -
Amazon.co.uk: Used and New: Sony EPEX1B.AE spare earbuds for EX series headphones - black

I, as do many others, find these superior to the stock Denon ones. I also tried some tripple flange tips which were good isolators but I didn't find them comfortable. I ended up with 2 pairs so if anyone in the UK wants to give them a go, pm me and I'll send the unused pair out free of charge.

Apr 18, 2008 at 12:20 PM Post #1,083 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by bernado /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just as a heads up to any UK head-fiers who want to get some Sony EX tips but have been put off by the cost they are now available from an Amazon Marketplace trader for £4.51 delivered

I just took a look on Amazon. Still a crazy price when it costs £4.50 to ship them. They're so small and light they could go regular first class. I know Amazon sets the shipping cost, but even so, you're getting just one pair that you can use.
I wish Sony would sell them in packs of 3 of the same size, so you don't have to buy the sizes you don't need.

But they are better than the Denon tips!

Apr 18, 2008 at 12:29 PM Post #1,084 of 1,418
Having just got the Denons, I went through all of my tips (Shure, Superfi and whatever else I have) I ended up with the Senn CX300 large tip since they fit my ears so well.

For my ears, they raised the bass slightly. (Probably a better seal) I think that the business of which tip to use is going to be different for every lughole they meet.

What a bargain the AH-C700 is. I can't take them off, they're so good. I ended up with the 750 but it is the same.

Ian

Apr 18, 2008 at 2:37 PM Post #1,085 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just took a look on Amazon. Still a crazy price when it costs £4.50 to ship them. They're so small and light they could go regular first class. I know Amazon sets the shipping cost, but even so, you're getting just one pair that you can use.
I wish Sony would sell them in packs of 3 of the same size, so you don't have to buy the sizes you don't need.

But they are better than the Denon tips!

Well yes the postage is the dealers way of making money but as the item only costs 1 pence then this still works out the cheapest way to buy them I know of. I agree though it is daft you can't buy the size you want

Apr 19, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #1,086 of 1,418
Hi,

I also wanted to give people a head's up if you're in So cal. I just had a friend pick me up a C700 from Fry's in Canoga Park for $52 or so. I'm out of the country at the moment, but he just happened to be at Fry's when I called. Anyhow, I still love my Triple.Fi's and use them daily but I am very curious about the Denon's. I bought my dad the AHD1000 headphones from Denon and they are very impressive so I have high expectations for the earphones as well. Anyhow, that particular Fry's had a few more left according to my friend if anyone's looking and in the area...

Kitt9000

Apr 19, 2008 at 11:59 AM Post #1,087 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by lamboman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys, I today recieved my new C700s, as iHeadphones only got them in stock yesterday...

First impressions, with my Shuffle, are OK. The trebles are a bit muffled, but that is cus I need to get used to them, and no EQ tweaks yet. The bass is awesome, I don't need anymore. The detail is impressive, but I feel that the Shuffle isn't quite good enough for these, I will see as time progresses.

From what I can see, they are very well built. I am worried they might scratch though, can somebody run up on this?

well the words do fade off but that's nothing to get your panties in a bunch about. it doesn't affect anything that matters.

Apr 19, 2008 at 1:04 PM Post #1,088 of 1,418
I got mine a couple of days ago from iheadphones who I will not use again after they advertised them as being in stock, then kept me waiting nearly two weeks for them, one to be wary of in my opinion.
mad.gif

Well the 700s, great detail if a little forward for me. Trebbles are good if a little "Crashy" if that makes any sense to anyone else. I guess that will improve as they get burnt in

I find them a little light in the bass though I will try a set of foamies before I make my mind up on that. Odd shaped ears and all that.
biggrin.gif
They are somewhat better than the bundled phones that came with my 818, but I hope when they have settled down they will be even better.

As has already been posted though I reckon they will always be a tad forward. Overall, well I like them a lot, and at £80 they are a good buy

Apr 19, 2008 at 1:13 PM Post #1,089 of 1,418
I also heard the "crashy" highs, but I apparently didn't give them enough time before I sold them. Since then, I picked up a pair of 551s instead, and at $65, they are a great buy. I guess you have to give the Denons at least 100 or so hours to settle in on the highs. I agree that they didn't seem that much better than the Sony OEMs with the A816, but they did isolate a little better. Anyway, give them time, or if you want more bass, sell them and buy the 551s instead, since they are the more bassy of the two phones.

Apr 19, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #1,090 of 1,418
Right, when i first got my C700, i was also felt the same way. I have EP630 which i like, i thought how come this Denon sounds so harsh on the treble and the bass was muddy, sound stage seemed small compared to my already burned-in EP630. Then i burned-in the phone with pink noise over night (appr 12 hours), then i start to hear what i have never been hearing with my EP630 or my other phones. The high has smoothen, still sometime a bit harsh on certain songs, but not as harsh as before; the bass is punchier, sound stage was the most changed i can hear, it was amazing. After a week of using (i use this phone everyday for appr 5-10 hours), it has changed again to the better maybe the best state this phone can be. This 1 song really made me realize how detailed this C700 is, it's Waruguchi - aiko (japanese song xD), that was the 1st time in my life i can feel that she really is playing in my room right besides me, i was so surprised that i look around if my dad is tapping his feet or nail on the table that i've been hearing in this song, but it's actually from the song. 1 of the guitarist is tapping his feet and it sound very clear in the distance, truly amazing detail. So, to truly hear what this phone sound, you need to do your part (burn-in) for at least 12 hours+, then you will be rewarded
biggrin.gif

Apr 19, 2008 at 7:40 PM Post #1,091 of 1,418
Just a counter-opinion to stir up the pot: Even after 200+ hours of use/burn-in, my C700 still sounds a bit too "crashy" in the highs (I love that expression, by the way -- nice one, Karlos!) for my tastes. I actually have a similar experience my full-sized AH-D1000, so it may just be that Denon's highs simply rub me the wrong way. I love everything else about both sets of 'phones, however.

Apr 19, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #1,092 of 1,418
I agree here, but I only use the 551s with the Sony DAP, so I can EQ the treble a bit. That makes them much more listenable. Of course, I am still at 40 hours or so (after pink noise for two days). But I find the Head-Direct RE2s (a comparable canalphone) much less "crashy" on highs. Agree on that phrase too. Perfect descriptive word for the feeling the Denons deliver on the high end.

Apr 19, 2008 at 9:43 PM Post #1,093 of 1,418
They are quite toppy (you can file that next to "crashy") but to my surprise they don't upset me even though I'm pretty sensitive to those frequencies usually (BTW, how did those Goldring's work out for you Epithetless?).
Karlos - I too have had less than happy experiences with iHeadphones on more than one occasion and and I ended up having to threaten legal action after other communications were ignored. I personally wouldn't go anywhere near them again.

Apr 20, 2008 at 12:31 PM Post #1,095 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by bernado /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Karlos - I too have had less than happy experiences with iHeadphones on more than one occasion and and I ended up having to threaten legal action after other communications were ignored. I personally wouldn't go anywhere near them again.

I will never use iHeadphones again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back