Official Denon AH-C700 Comparisons/Impressions
May 12, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #1,111 of 1,418
i agree, the bass is very present, very smooth to the ears... almost more naturalistic. the highs can be tiring.
compared to the c551 i would say they are pretty much the same but the c551's are amped up, so the bass is what is more present.
its easily noticeable, and comparing them to the Xbi, the Xbi takes the bass to the next step, so much so thats its hard to really compare the other aspects. wish i had the X3i to compare.

May 12, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #1,112 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveyostrow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i agree, the bass is very present, very smooth to the ears... almost more naturalistic. the highs can be tiring.
compared to the c551 i would say they are pretty much the same but the c551's are amped up, so the bass is what is more present.
its easily noticeable, and comparing them to the Xbi, the Xbi takes the bass to the next step, so much so thats its hard to really compare the other aspects. wish i had the X3i to compare.

The X3i's are darker than the c700's, more bass, somewhat recessed mids, they sound kind of veiled to me, going back to them after having used the c700's, but they didn't strike me as such before, and they might offer just the right sound for someone who finds the c700s too bright.

May 13, 2008 at 12:00 AM Post #1,113 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by HipHopScribe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much time have you spent with the C700 + Zune combo? It's important to give your mind some time to adjust, then decide what to do if you're still not happy. I've personally found them to be a great combo, the C700's aren't heavy on the bass, but I find it to be good in quality, present without hurting the mids or highs.

I have listened to the Zune with Denon about more than 200 hours.Yes, I loved all other aspects of the Denon, even the Bass. But, to some songs, Denon's bass seems not enough to me.

If I can get the Image for 150$ (I could), then I'd take the Image and keep the Denon as a backup.

Thank Soozieg

May 13, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #1,114 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by HipHopScribe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The X3i's are darker than the c700's, more bass, somewhat recessed mids, they sound kind of veiled to me, going back to them after having used the c700's, but they didn't strike me as such before, and they might offer just the right sound for someone who finds the c700s too bright.

can we compare the X3i to the C551?

Quote:

Originally Posted by maiieu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...Yes, I loved all other aspects of the Denon, even the Bass. But, to some songs, Denon's bass seems not enough to me.

If I can get the Image for 150$ (I could), then I'd take the Image and keep the Denon as a backup.

Thank Soozieg

i really proffer the c551 overall. stronger bass, smaller housing, and its price cant be argued. might be for you.

What is this "Image" you speak of?

May 13, 2008 at 7:10 AM Post #1,115 of 1,418
Lately I have been finding that my almost 1 year old Denon AH-C700 have become a little fatiguing in the treble, having gotten used to the sound of my Livewires which are very smooth and clean and natural.

Recently I borrowed my daughter's Super.fi 5 Pro, and with Comply T400 tips and Westone ES2 cable I found the mids to be improved, instead of sucked out like with the stock cable. Highs actually sound a little smoother to me now, and bass is tamed and controlled. Fit is much better with the T400 than the E2c foams I used before.

Then, today I ended up with some q-jays in a trade for an amp, and have been listening to them tonight for about an hour. With the Q-JAYS foamies these are even better than the Super.fi 5 Pro (with new tips and cable) and I daresay I like them more than the C700. They seem to have have good bass, warm mids, and a tame treble (depending on position in ear canal).

I plan to spend a bit of time with these three IEM over the bext few days, and with give a full report later. The problem is I needed the C700 for an IEM that doesn't isolate too much, and the Q-jays are very isolating, like my Livewires, so I might as well be using the Livewires, eh?

May 18, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #1,116 of 1,418
Just want to find out, does the C700 sound close to what the D1000 has? I currently have C551's and find that it's a little bottom-heavy comparatively to my D1000 whose sound sig I'm trying to get in canalphone form.

May 18, 2008 at 7:52 PM Post #1,117 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by oli84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just want to find out, does the C700 sound close to what the D1000 has? I currently have C551's and find that it's a little bottom-heavy comparatively to my D1000 whose sound sig I'm trying to get in canalphone form.

In my experience, the D1000 and C700 are very similar soundwise. People here report that the C551 is indeed more bass-oriented than the C700, though I haven't heard the C551 myself.

May 18, 2008 at 8:54 PM Post #1,118 of 1,418
I'll be able to compare the D1000 and C700 when the D1000 comes some time tomorrow. I got to the point where putting things in my ear is very bothersome. I don't want to sell off my C700!

I'm excited.
biggrin.gif

May 19, 2008 at 4:28 AM Post #1,119 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShinyFalcon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll be able to compare the D1000 and C700 when the D1000 comes some time tomorrow. I got to the point where putting things in my ear is very bothersome. I don't want to sell off my C700!

I'm excited.
biggrin.gif

Congrats! Just be sure to give the D1000 a lengthy burn-in before issuing your final judgments.

May 29, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #1,121 of 1,418
I just got my C751's and I love them.I must agree the stock tip are the worst I've ever used.So i ordered the EPEX1 Sony tips cause of the post here.My source is a 80G Zune.I see that there is alot of Zune/C700/C751 combos.I find that the tips of the prem earbuds that come with the Zune work the best for me.I get a great seal with them and the sound quality is the best of the 3 for me.Thought I would throw that out there and was wondering if anyone bothered to try it that uses that combo.

Jun 2, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #1,123 of 1,418
I don't think that they isolate as much as IEM's. Canal phones are slightly different and these ones have an 'exhaust pipe' outlet which let sound in as well I suppose. If I rub my thumb and finger together beside both the 751 and the 551, I can clearly hear it so isolation is not that fantastic. The sound is though!!

Curiosity got the better of me. I got the 551 just to compare with the 751. Very close in sound signature. I wonder whether the 751 have slightly more recessed mid.

I like both and really can't choose between them. I suppose the 551 is a tad warmer but it's a close call. I think the bargain is the 551. Some people may find fitting the 551 easier since it has less of a body and so that enables easier fiddling around with the angle in the ear. Interestingly enough, I had this problem with Shures and found the E2's fitted better than either the e3 or 4. It sort of fitted into the shape of my outer lugs.

The 551 is a gorgeous little headphone and feels a lot lighter in the ear than the 751. Nice weighty bass too for such a little thing!

BTW - this has been such a nice thread to read. I have really enjoyed reading all the comments and advice which have been so insightful and thoughtful.

I suppose I'll have to try the next one down now!!!!
tongue.gif

Ian

Jun 2, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #1,124 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by andrus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm thinking about getting some Comply tips for my C551.. One question though, how well would they isolate on an airplane?

With the ordinary silicon tips, they're not great on a plane, but I was pretty happy with the isolation once the music kicked in. The Comply T-400 tips will no doubt isolate a lot more, but they were too big for my ears once they'd expanded.

Darkdemon - I didn't think to try the Zune headphone tips when I had the Zune. The Sony tips work well enough for me, but still, you can never try enough tips
biggrin.gif

iancraig - Ha ha, so you got the C551s in addition to the C751. Did you get them from the same place as the C751s? Yes, I agree they sound very similar. The bass is great on the C551s. Funnily enough, cnet claimed the C751 bass was waaaay more powerful than the Sony flagship earphone, the MDR-EX700. Both these Denons always get high praise for the bass.

Jun 2, 2008 at 8:40 PM Post #1,125 of 1,418
Fantastic thread guys, i'm brand new to this site, i joined after reading what a good community there is. I have been looking for the past few weeks for a big upgrade from trashy earphones (although my sony ex51's have been used for a couple years now and they sound pretty good) I use a 30GB ipod video running rockbox and decided that the denon earphones were the way to go. I love a thudding bass and clarity in the mids. One of the most annoying things that the sony's do is muddle the highs and mids in busy tracks. In fact just today i found a pair of the C751's for £45 + £5 p+p (ebay) so i snapped them up without even contemplating whether they could be copies, but it seems there aren't many reports of denon copies out there. I also ordered the C551's, so when i get the two i would love to post back on how a newbie like me finds the difference between the sony's and the two denons (maybe some pictures too if i'm enthusiastic about them)
biggrin.gif

Anyway, i'd like to thank soozieq and all other community members for advice and reviews on different earbud phones, in particular the newest denon models. Hope to post back very soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back