Official Denon AH-C700 Comparisons/Impressions
Nov 26, 2008 at 9:20 PM Post #1,231 of 1,418
My C751 arrived this morning, got on ebay for £65
wink.gif

I have to say, out of the box...ouch. They've very fatuiging and bright. I trust a few hours burn in will sort them out.
They've been going for almost 12 hours now and sound better, but still nowhere near as good as I'd hope.

Nov 29, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #1,233 of 1,418
I decided to try out the Comply foam tips with the C700s.
I think they sound so much worse.

Compared to the Sony tips, the overall sound seems so much more distant, bass seems to be even reduced a bit.

Definitely not for me. I'll stick with the Sony tips!

Nov 29, 2008 at 5:08 PM Post #1,234 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.doodle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I decided to try out the Comply foam tips with the C700s.
I think they sound so much worse.

Compared to the Sony tips, the overall sound seems so much more distant, bass seems to be even reduced a bit.

Definitely not for me. I'll stick with the Sony tips!

Eh, apart from the slight added sibilance, it shouldn't be like that at all.
You sure you fitted them in your ear properly. A bad fit = you'll lose bass.

Nov 29, 2008 at 5:34 PM Post #1,235 of 1,418
Well, that's what I figured must be the case, but really they were in there right tight and I even moved them around till I was (95%) certain I was getting the best seal/sound possible. Pushed them in further and tried pulling them out a bit, scrunched them up and stuck them in and let them expand, I tried a few things. I'm pretty sure I maximized the sound quality with them.

Maybe the Sony tips just fit my ears and seal better?

I'll try the Comply tips again though, maybe I'll get it.

Dec 9, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #1,236 of 1,418
Tried them again!

I really am preferring the Comply Tips now.

I think what the problem was is that I switched my source recently. (iAudio 6 to iPod Touch 2G). I find the sound to be really mid heavy on the iPod, while the iAudio was much more balanced. For some reason it sounds more balanced to me when I put the EQ on "Hip-Hop" or "R&B". Anyway... that's probably for a different thread.

Anyway, basically what I think was happening, is that this differentiation in sound was more apparent with the comply tips on. Especially with the treble reduction of the Complys (Complies?). And I find that with the Touch I don't get impactful bass unless I crank up the volume past 75%, which I'm not used to. But doing so really brought the Denons to life.

Beats me why I didn't notice it so much with the Sony tips.

Maybe I got used to them on the Touch and figured that it was somewhat neutral sounding? No idea.

Dec 9, 2008 at 6:14 AM Post #1,237 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.doodle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tried them again!

I really am preferring the Comply Tips now.

I think what the problem was is that I switched my source recently. (iAudio 6 to iPod Touch 2G). I find the sound to be really mid heavy on the iPod, while the iAudio was much more balanced. For some reason it sounds more balanced to me when I put the EQ on "Hip-Hop" or "R&B". Anyway... that's probably for a different thread.

Anyway, basically what I think was happening, is that this differentiation in sound was more apparent with the comply tips on. Especially with the treble reduction of the Complys (Complies?). And I find that with the Touch I don't get impactful bass unless I crank up the volume past 75%, which I'm not used to. But doing so really brought the Denons to life.

Beats me why I didn't notice it so much with the Sony tips.

Maybe I got used to them on the Touch and figured that it was somewhat neutral sounding? No idea.

Try my guide to your iAudio 7 Jeteffect settings: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/be...ttings-388727/

I have the C751's as well. It'll result in a more detailed and better bass iAudio 7.

Dec 9, 2008 at 11:43 AM Post #1,238 of 1,418
Hah!
It's funny because I was browsing through your posts and read that thread.
I tried your settings with my iAudio 6 and c700s but actually prefer everything as neutral right across the board. No eq settings, no mp enhance, no bbe, and no Mach 3 bass.

However, I'll give it a try for an extended period.

Thanks for the advice!

Dec 9, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #1,239 of 1,418
I had the same feeling as you. C700 are just too thin sounding and I did try different tips. I think they were hyped because of their low price tag, and they are no where close to ER4P, q-jays that I owned. with proper amp, my depoded im716 beat them also.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duffy1207 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My C751 arrived this morning, got on ebay for £65
wink.gif

I have to say, out of the box...ouch. They've very fatuiging and bright. I trust a few hours burn in will sort them out.
They've been going for almost 12 hours now and sound better, but still nowhere near as good as I'd hope.

Dec 9, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #1,240 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by andychen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the same feeling as you. C700 are just too thin sounding and I did try different tips. I think they were hyped because of their low price tag, and they are no where close to ER4P, q-jays that I owned. with proper amp, my depoded im716 beat them also.

I agree the depodded IM716 are better with the proper AMP (edited to add amp), but with the Complys T400 foam tips you can never say the C700 are too thin, and they can be used un-amped more easily.

Dec 10, 2008 at 12:07 AM Post #1,241 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by andychen /img/forum/go_quote.gif

IMO. C700s are anyhting but thin soundsing.....
They have the best bass response from the IEMs I have owned (SE530 SE420 ER4P IM716 EX700, not sure about FX500) but suffer heavily from recessed high. I only use them unamped btw!

Dec 10, 2008 at 3:01 PM Post #1,242 of 1,418
hey you own the EX700 and the denons C700 can you tell me what really sounds the best for responce and bass.
im making the desision of buying my first high quality IEM and finding it extreamly difecult.
im stuck between the sonys MDR-EX700 and the DENONs AH-C751.
please help i also want good low frequency bass responce and good fitting thanks

Dec 11, 2008 at 5:37 PM Post #1,243 of 1,418
maybe "thin" is not the proper word to use. I A/B them with q-jays and their mids are not as sweet and warm. The bass is there, I agree, they are also dynamic, but I really don't like their mids. Also, the highs are harsh to me, I did not own them long enough though.

Now I don't remember what tips I tried, I did not try Complys T400 foam tips for sure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree the depodded IM716 are better with the proper AMP (edited to add amp), but with the Complys T400 foam tips you can never say the C700 are too thin, and they can be used un-amped more easily.

Dec 11, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #1,244 of 1,418
i would also not call them thin and i would not say they are very recessed in the highs. they are not piercing but i found they sparkled very well. they better the fx500 in treble and have a more lush midrange but im not a huge midrange person

the fx500 however are a small step below the m5 in bass quality: that is something to put on a resume. very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back