Official 2014 SoCal Head-Fi Meet, March 22, 2014, Westin South Coast Plaza
Mar 10, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #437 of 733
7fb218a3_o2014schfm_hdr_txt.jpeg
Like the rest of us, Astell & Kern has an absolute blast at meets.  And like us, they're now hooked on them as well.  In fact, last year's L.A. Meet was their first ever... so they have us SoCal Head-Fiers to thank for their newfound meet addiction. 
smile.gif

d293a072_o2014schfm_acc_slp.jpeg
Well, a lot has changed for Astell & Kern since last year.  In addition to the AK100 and AK120, they've also released a slew of new products.  Here's what they'll be bringing to our meet:

1. AK100 MKII - audiophile DAP w/lower output impedance and DSD support via firmware updates
  2. AK120 - audiophile DAP w/up to 192GB of storage and DSD playback
  3. AK120 Titan = an improved AK120 w/a new hardened finish and 64 more GB of internal storage
  4. AKR01 - in-ear monitor based on Final Audio Design's Heaven IV series
  5. AKR02 - in-ear monitor based on Final Audio Design's BA-SS series
  6. Final Audio Designs Pandora Hope 6 headphone

...and of course, there's the new Astell & Kern AK240.  Check out a review of the new AK240 here!
4d19e4cc_o2014schfm_ftr_txt.jpeg

Mar 10, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #438 of 733
  Looking awesome warren.

Convinced 2 friends to come, I'll go through the form and set everything squared away with them.

Awesome, thanks man! 
smile.gif

Yeah, that's actually another reason why we wanted people to register early.  A $5 discount might not seem like a lot for one person, but a lot of people bring friends and significant others.  I can't remember who it was last year, but someone brought like 3-4 of their friends.  A little savings here, a little savings there, sooner or later it winds up being some real money. 
wink.gif

Mar 10, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #439 of 733
7fb218a3_o2014schfm_hdr_txt.jpeg
Here's a company that needs no introduction.  But just in case you're a total noob to the hobby, here's a little something something about our friends at Audeze:

Audeze LLC is a U.S. manufacturer of headphones that redefine the world of high-end audio using a unique combination of proprietary planar magnetic technology and luxury design. Our award-winning products are meticulously hand-crafted in California and are available worldwide.

That basically means that they make some awesome sounding s**t, and we're thrilled to welcome them back for the third year in a row!
278dd81b_o2014schfm_acc_sfd.jpeg
So what's Audeze bringing to the meet?  Well, what are they not bringing?  But for starters, all of their heavy-hitters will be there:

1. LCD-2
  2. LCD-3
  3. LCD-X
  4. LCD-XC

On top of all that, they usually bring some cool summit-fi rigs as well.  Alex Rosson (CEO of Audeze) is an enthusiast just like us, and in the past, we've seen some interesting amps in their rigs:  MalValve, EAR HP-4, etc.

This year, we're hearing rumors of a Meridian Prime and ALO Studio 6.  I guess we'll have to hit the meet to find out!
ac3f4596_o2014schfm_acc_sfl.jpeg
Meet Special(s):  Have you been looking to pick up an Audeze headphone lately?  If so, you'll be glad to know that they are offering a 15% discount across the board on all of their headphones.  That's 15%, not 50%. 
wink.gif
  Actually, they are offering a 20% discount!  No, I'm not messing around this time. 
smile.gif

d293a072_o2014schfm_acc_slp.jpeg
Raffle Prize(s):  OMFGWTFBBQ! AUDEZE JUST CONTRIBUTED AN LCD-2 TO OUR MEET RAFFLE!!!  
eek.gif
  Holy crap!  Thanks Audeze! 
smile.gif

4d19e4cc_o2014schfm_ftr_txt.jpeg

Mar 11, 2014 at 4:19 AM Post #443 of 733

Eep

I hope I win it, saves me $1kish :)

NICE!!

I'm experimenting w/ different balanced cables for the McIntosh D100 (gonna be used as DAC
ahead of the Cavalli Liquid Gold) for the Meet.

So far the system's gonna be:

Audeze LCD-X
Audeze LCD-XC
Sennheiser HD-800

Cavalli Audio Liquid Gold
McIntosh D100 (used as DAC - system runnin' fully balanced)
MacBook Pro SSD/Amarra as source

Cables: ALL Nordost Heimdall 2 in the back (thus far, interconnects & power)
headphone cables:
Double Helix
Moon Audio
possibly Cardas Clear

& Nordost Quantum Power under whole system

GONNA BE FUN

might bring a portable rig too!!

Mar 11, 2014 at 6:06 AM Post #444 of 733
Not quite sure if I can ask this but I hope you guys don't bite. Did not really have time to go through 30 pages of this thread to read if just normal guys can go. I made an account just to ask this question because I am really interested in going. I attend school at UC Irvine so it's only a 10 minute drive away and was really hoping see (and hopefully try out) some awesome stuff at this meet. I don't really have anything to bring... Which if that is a requirement I'm cool with it too. Just putting this out there~~~ 

:x

Mar 11, 2014 at 6:39 AM Post #445 of 733
Not quite sure if I can ask this but I hope you guys don't bite. Did not really have time to go through 30 pages of this thread to read if just normal guys can go. I made an account just to ask this question because I am really interested in going. I attend school at UC Irvine so it's only a 10 minute drive away and was really hoping see (and hopefully try out) some awesome stuff at this meet. I don't really have anything to bring... Which if that is a requirement I'm cool with it too. Just putting this out there~~~ 

Nope, don't need anything but your ears! Plenty of stuff to demo. Just recommended to take your own stuff so you can compare but if you don't have anything, clean slate try it all :)

I'm bringing a few friends who have little to no experience and no gear so ya

Mar 11, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #446 of 733

Welcome! Please register for the meet using the link in my signature or in the first post by March 14!

Mar 11, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #447 of 733

Welcome! Please register for the meet using the link in my signature or in the first post by March 14!

Just registered and sent off my moneys. By the way, I was wondering if someone would like to take me under their wing. LOL. I don't know anybody that would be willing to go with me and I just don't want to be an awkward turtle not knowing what to do or where to go at the event surrounded by strangers. I promise I'm not a creeper!

Mar 11, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #448 of 733

Just registered and sent off my moneys. By the way, I was wondering if someone would like to take me under their wing. LOL. I don't know anybody that would be willing to go with me and I just don't want to be an awkward turtle not knowing what to do or where to go at the event surrounded by strangers. I promise I'm not a creeper!

Everyone is super friendly, I promise! Please introduce yourself at the Registration Desk when you check in!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back