Ocharaku Flat4-Kuro (玄) appreciation thread
Jun 14, 2014 at 1:33 AM Post #167 of 211
I am eager to find out more about Type II. But the important question how do we know whether our ear canal is the type that made the designer make the Type II mod? Technically speaking can the people with shorter inner canal also get the same performance in sound if they use the Type II compared to the regular Kuro?

Jun 16, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #168 of 211
Hi everyone, I've just recently joined the Kuro owner club. They appear very balanced and spacious to my ears, perhaps I'm among those who can tolerate highs better. 
One thing I'm wondering is the tips effect. As I've bought these second hand, I'm using them with some Comply T200 tips. In general they don't seem to do anything wrong, but I'm just curious how other options could tweak the sound. So can anyone tell me some other tips that are known to fit the flat-4 models? I might want to try some silicon tips, no idea if their shape matters. 

Thank you,

Marshall

Jul 31, 2014 at 6:35 AM Post #169 of 211
Can anyone give a comparison between Flat4-Kuro and Sony EX1000?  I can't decide which one to get as an upgrade from tf10.
what I am after of my next purchase are better soundstage, clarity and instrument separations, so that vocals would stand out. but saying that, I am not a fan of forward mid and warm sounding IEMs.

I am almost there to pull the trigger for a pair of Kuro Type-II, but EX1000 on the other hand - is known for its massive soundstage and seems to be a better option when it comes to construction with its replaceable cable..
confused.gif

Jul 31, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #170 of 211
I bought the 1000's used, and sold them the next day.  They were hard to 'fit' for my ears, and had a piercing sound that bordered on painful for me.  I found nothing redeeming about them (yes i tried lots of tips and sources/amps).

I have both the Nami and the Kaede, and they both have a tuning/sonic signature that is very clean and detailed, more to the analytic side than I generally like, but they are special.  I think there is something to be said for the claims about eliminating the 7 kHz resonance than many iems have -- perhaps that's why I love these, and could not stand the 1000's. 

I know that the Kuru are not exactly like the Nami or the Kaede, but they are in the same family, so I think my comments may translate to them.  The designer of the Ocharaku iems is a former Sony designer, so perhaps he did the 1000's as well....   Based on their popularity I have an occasional urge to try them again, to see what happens....

Hope some of this rambling helps...

Jul 31, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #171 of 211
Thanks for sharing your thoughts fzman, yes Mr.Yamaguchi of Ocharaku is the designer of ex1000 
smile.gif
. Despite ex1000's weird housing shape I'm not too concerned about the ergonomic as TF10 fits me perfectly fine, which many people have problem with.. guess I can tolerate.

Seems that the sonic signature of Ocharaku range is really a step-up from the EX1000.. could you comment on the soundstage of Kaede? I have heard people saying the soundstage of ex1000 is somewhat comparable to smaller headphones but have yet to come across a similar statement for Kaede & Kuro.

Aug 2, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #172 of 211
The EX1000 would have a wider sound staging IMO. More closer to full size headphones. While the Flat 4 Sui has a massive head-staging but not much of a sound staging. I much prefer the Sui to the EX1000. The EX1000 was was just dreadfully-painful to listen to. But it had some of the best bass quality I've heard.

Aug 2, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #173 of 211
At this point, I listen mostly to acoustic jazz.  I listen for tonal accuracy and for the instruments to sound like they do 'in real life'.  I also like things to be coherent and dynamic.  The Kaedes do all of that for me, but are tilted a bit more to the highs than I generally prefer.  They present fairly holographic images, when the recording possesses them, and they have  rightness that I like.  I also like the Cardas 5813s, Noble N6, and the Dita Truth and Answer iems as well.  I am also listening to the FAD Pandora Hope 6 headphones, and really liking them as well.

The 1000s had a piercing quality to certain notes that was actually painful to me...  Given how well regarded they are, I am wondering what went wrong with my relationship with them.....

Hope that helps a bit.

Sep 19, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #174 of 211
After several days owning kuro type ii. I'll say that it's still very much alike, less forward mids, less peak on vocals. Still retain ocharaku high signature, kuro lows signature. Well I'm liking this more so far.
But I'll choose kaede for my top of the line still. Still hoping to own it, been a year searching for it now T_T

Jan 9, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #176 of 211
Hi all, my Kuro just arrived this afternoon, and the first thing i noticed about this iem is that its dark signature and a nasty peak, i'd say i agree with its less peak on vocals, but man somebody please tell me how to control that nasty peak around 5-7 Khz if i'm not mistaken

for the rest it's a wonderful iem, but still STAX 002 maybe a better choice for some people. Both have that dark feeling with them, but SR 002 handle frequency better imo. 

Jul 4, 2015 at 4:42 AM Post #177 of 211
I guess flat 4-Aka has not own topic though as i know very similar kuro anyway. (Just a little longer pipe)
Aka (type II) arrived yesterday. I burn almost 30 hours and keep going.

First thing i noticed, it is most strange earphone, i've ever used.
When listening, somethings could be wonderful even incredible, after that something could be very poor quality. Burning time continues...
It doesn't like any earphone, i use/d most well known, W Um3x, Dunu Dn-1K, Se535 ltd, T-peos H200 and H300, Fidue A83...
I' m trying to understand
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back