Ocharaku Flat4-Kuro (玄) appreciation thread
Aug 27, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #138 of 211
I listened to mostly Denon D2000 and HE-400 along with some Grados.
Don't get me wrong, I love the bass on these IEMs in just abou every way, but these have
a more balanced sound than I'm used to.

Aug 27, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #140 of 211
Knowing that it's a stretch to compare phones and iems, if you were to attempt it, what full size headphone sound signature could you compare to the Kuro?  I love my HD600's and I've hesitated buying these for fear that the sound would be too radically different.  Some have commented that the 600's also lacks a little in bass, but I've never found that to be the case for my tastes.  As for the treble, my hearing only reaches the 14khz level anyway!  Maybe something like the Kuro might even help that.  I think I might just be getting a little bored with the W4's.

Aug 27, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #141 of 211
There isn't a proper equal in the headphone world. In some ways, Audio Technica's AD2000X is similar, but only in some ways. Bass presence is stronger at the eardrum via the KURO, and up top treble, though equally energetic, is stretched a bit further. Of course, no way can headphones and IEMs be compared directly for impact. Headphones impact more than the eardrum. Ditto headphones vs. speakers. Even speakers known to have no bass have far more impact than even bassy headphones. 

Sep 15, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #143 of 211
I was curious about that too!  Not that many Kuro owners?  I think I still want one, but not sure I want to spend $565 for it, since there's no way to audition it.  I tend to keep the stuff I buy.

Oct 28, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #145 of 211
In this past weekend's show, Yamaghishi-san had a survey of variants of the Kuro. The differences are the tube length (and I've not looked carefully enough to see if therefore separation of the drivers or not. Starting from the middle, is the standard Kuro whilst left is 2mm longer and right is 2mm shorter.

The impact on the signature is significant. I believe he mention something of a 50(0)Hz shift? I need to clarify the single or double digit 0. I'm play-it-by-ear kinda chap rather than numbers when it comes to audio.

Anyway, the left longer tubed filled a nice bass to the Kuro whilst the right shorter tube was a little too sibilant for some portions of the same musical track. I gave the long tube my vote.

Oct 28, 2013 at 4:03 AM Post #146 of 211
Hmm makes me wonder if that is why my impressions differ greatly on the Kaede and the Sui.... I have to concur with you on the sibilance issues on the Kaede.

Oct 31, 2013 at 6:04 AM Post #148 of 211
After spending quite some time with my Sui, I jumped at the opportunity to get a set of Kuro.

On first listen it is very apparent that it comes from the same family as the Sui. Rather clinical, extremely detailed and very revealing, and rather bright sounding which suits me fine.

The most noticeable change switching from Sui to Kuro is the deeper bass and a tiny bit fuller lower mids. One biggest gripe on the Sui is the rather tame lower mids resulting in some male vocals sound a bit hollow. Not any more with the Kuro. And the deeper bass means more oomph when the music calls for it, but can still be considered pretty reserved most of the time. Great balance indeed. Added to the original magic of the Flat-4. The highs are not sibilant but is still quite strong.......cymbals sound like the real thing (and you are standing right next to them) and the timbre and overtones of violin are reproduced with extreme accuracy.

Ah, the additional piece cloth provided with the ocharaku can is a nice touch..............at least the earphones won't bump and clank noisily against the metal can when moving around. But still............the cans are HUGE and not really what most people would like for portable use, especially for a miniature set of earphones like the Kuro.

More listening~

Jan 27, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #149 of 211
I realize this thread is dead but after so many months with the Kuro, I have to say they are my favorite headphones in the last decade.

After rolling through the FitEar 111 & 334, Ocharaku Kaede, Sennheiser IE800, Tralucent 1Plus2, I settled on the Kuro and I have not regretted it.  There is something special about how it sounds that lets me connect deeper with my music.

Jan 27, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #150 of 211
  I realize this thread is dead but after so many months with the Kuro, I have to say they are my favorite headphones in the last decade.

After rolling through the FitEar 111 & 334, Ocharaku Kaede, Sennheiser IE800, Tralucent 1Plus2, I settled on the Kuro and I have not regretted it.  There is something special about how it sounds that lets me connect deeper with my music.

I wrestled with deciding between the Kuro and Parterre, especially given the price difference.  I went with the Fitear, but am still curious about the Kuro, especially after I read Shigzeo's review. Maybe sometime I will take a shot at one.  It's great know you are so happy with it, it refreshes my curiosity!  Don't know how many they sold, but you still don't see many on the secondary market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back