Ocharaku 音茶楽 thread
Aug 16, 2020 at 6:55 AM Post #361 of 430
i do owned a co-donguri shizuku, and it's a treble earphones. Very treble with very little bass and mi-bass.

Don't know about any kaedes and flat-4s.

Maybe @KalvinK can help with his opinions on kaede.
That would be awesome if he could! The most high end IEM i own is IE800. I like it much but i aldo want to check out the Ocharaku's/Donguri's since ive heard that they should be really good and its a good upgrade from IE800.

Usually i listen to heavymetal,hard rock etc,but after i got a kid (weird) my music taste has kinda changed to more and more classical and instrumental. Like modern classical, neo-classical and contemporary classical. Nils Frahm, Ludovico Einaudi, Rival Consoles etc. Loving it and still exploring what is out there!And i want an IEM that would fit very nice to this kind of music! And ive read that the trebly Ocharaku's fit very good!

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2020 at 7:21 AM Post #362 of 430
Does IE800 sounds good for heavymetal / hardrock songs ?

All i can say about co-donguri shizuku, this earphone is not suitable for heavymetal / hardrock songs, but sounds good in classical, female voice or piano oriented songs.

In my opinions, ocharaku overall sounds, are details, deep and good in separation.
Good in mid and high freqs.

But depends on which models, some have a good deep bass, some have just shallow bass.

If you have good DAP, get flat-4 lines. Listening from smarphones, get co-donguri or donguri lines.

Aug 16, 2020 at 8:45 AM Post #363 of 430

All i can say about co-donguri shizuku, this earphone is not suitable for heavymetal / hardrock songs, but sounds good in classical, female voice or piano oriented songs.

In my opinions, ocharaku overall sounds, are details, deep and good in separation.

But depends on which models, some have a good deep bass, some have just shallow bass.

If you have good DAP, get flat-4 lines. Listening from smarphones, get co-donguri or donguri lines.
Sounds good to me! Exactly what im listening to most of the time now. IE800 had a really nice bass. Awesome quality. Mids are tuned down /a little recessed and treble are just a little bright. Soft V shape. I owned a rha t20 that was awfully bright. Made my ears" buzzy", so i didnt use it at all in the end. So i thought i was trebleshy,but the IE800 works very good on me. And thats strange since some poeple say that it is very bright,maybe to bright. But for me it makes me almost wanting more treble! Haha..

IE800 Feels to me like a very good allrounder actually! Acoustic guitars and strings sounds very crispy!Havent heard much metal with it,but Tool sounded awesome.

I dont have dedicated DAP, but i got a LG V40 which is said to just as good as one if not better( the DAC in it measured excellent at ASR and its much better than the DAPs and most portable dacamps that they measured over there).

Aug 16, 2020 at 8:49 AM Post #364 of 430

But isnt the price quite higher for the FLAT4 series than CO-Donguri? Would be awesome if there was a CO-Donguri /cheaper than FLAT4 KAEDE IEM that has some of the housesound to give me taste of how the FLAT4 line is:) Like a budget KAEDE etc to begin with before paying alot! Will not be cheap importing it to Norway with shipping and tax!

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #365 of 430
That would be awesome if he could! The most high end IEM i own is IE800. I like it much but i aldo want to check out the Ocharaku's/Donguri's since ive heard that they should be really good and its a good upgrade from IE800.

Usually i listen to heavymetal,hard rock etc,but after i got a kid (weird) my music taste has kinda changed to more and more classical and instrumental. Like modern classical, neo-classical and contemporary classical. Nils Frahm, Ludovico Einaudi, Rival Consoles etc. Loving it and still exploring what is out there!And i want an IEM that would fit very nice to this kind of music! And ive read that the trebly Ocharaku's fit very good!
I can't say for the flat4 line, and my opinion might not match everyone's here.
First things first,if you're on metal or rock most of the time, I'd advice you to step away from donguri line. Their greatest weakness is source distortion and electric guitars, to me at least. It will sound harsh, uncontrolled and messy. But if you're mostly on classical nowadays, donguri line works pretty well with some instruments such as bells, guitars, any stringing instrument. So far i have only had tried donguri syou kurenai. Tight bass,soundstage doesn't seem to have much head space but a lot more on the side. The vocals will be sometimes forward, sometimes not. Depending on the song. People who I've let tried describe it as " everything seems forward". Keyaki on the side in my experience is really source picky. It sounded bad on sony a55 and ifi nano, but sounded very nice on sp1000m and audio gd nfb1. It has a very strong reverb , giving some songs a wide ochrestic feeling to it. Good or not depends on the song and your taste. Last is my latest iem, the kaede. By far one of the most treble iem I've ever had. Vocals are placed right there are. These have more sub bass but for people who like bassy iems, it definitely won't work. The kaede is not as choosy as the keyaki in source equipment. One last thing is the ocharaku in house sound that all of these iems have.They have an odd imaging and soundstage. For those who like it , its very pleasing but not for those who don't. Some instruments sound very apparent and shine on these donguris like i mentioned earlier. Another thing to mention is that donguri's from my experience works generally better on mid highs, and their treble is quite clean (in my opinion). Good for jazz, classical, vocal focused songs,and slower pop.

Aug 16, 2020 at 9:22 AM Post #366 of 430
But isnt the price quite higher for the FLAT4 series than CO-Donguri? Would be awesome if there was a CO-Donguri /cheaper than FLAT4 KAEDE IEM that has some of the housesound to give me taste of how the FLAT4 line is:) Like a budget KAEDE etc to begin with before paying alot! Will not be cheap importing it to Norway with shipping and tax!
Than you should looking for co-donguri or donguri lines.

FIY, co-donguri and donguri are different.
Co-donguri produced by TTR company that ocharaku licensed its "tornado equaliser" tech, or if i may say, mass produced and cheaper, most co-donguri (shizuku, brass, shizuku 2) are priced below $100, except co-donguri syou, kurenai and comange 3 (all 3 were discountinued) priced $100 up, by using better materials.

Donguri lines were produced by Ocharaku, the original company. There were donguri kaede, donguri keyaki, keyaki ti plus, keyaki dual, and many donguris variants that discountinued.
Donguri were produced limited each year and by each year, there are improvements, so thats why there are many donguris, kaede, keyaki, etc.
So the price is a bit high, cheapest one is above $250.

And like @KalvinK said, the tuning of ocharaku, whether its co-donguri, donguri or flat-4, are a bit odd. Some might hear these earphones very pleasing, but most will find they sound odd.
So bear in mind, ocharaku's earphones might sound good and pleasing for listening jazz, slow pop, classical but the sound tuning might not pleased everybody.

Aug 16, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #367 of 430
I can't say for the flat4 line, and my opinion might not match everyone's here.
First things first,if you're on metal or rock most of the time, I'd advice you to step away from donguri line. Their greatest weakness is source distortion and electric guitars, to me at least. It will sound harsh, uncontrolled and messy. But if you're mostly on classical nowadays, donguri line works pretty well with some instruments such as bells, guitars, any stringing instrument. So far i have only had tried donguri syou kurenai. Tight bass,soundstage doesn't seem to have much head space but a lot more on the side. The vocals will be sometimes forward, sometimes not. Depending on the song. People who I've let tried describe it as " everything seems forward". Keyaki on the side in my experience is really source picky. It sounded bad on sony a55 and ifi nano, but sounded very nice on sp1000m and audio gd nfb1. It has a very strong reverb , giving some songs a wide ochrestic feeling to it. Good or not depends on the song and your taste. Last is my latest iem, the kaede. By far one of the most treble iem I've ever had. Vocals are placed right there are. These have more sub bass but for people who like bassy iems, it definitely won't work. The kaede is not as choosy as the keyaki in source equipment. One last thing is the ocharaku in house sound that all of these iems have.They have an odd imaging and soundstage. For those who like it , its very pleasing but not for those who don't. Some instruments sound very apparent and shine on these donguris like i mentioned earlier. Another thing to mention is that donguri's from my experience works generally better on mid highs, and their treble is quite clean (in my opinion). Good for jazz, classical, vocal focused songs,and slower pop.

Im very thankfully you reached out:)!This should be exactly what im looking for- in theory! Only way to find out is to buy one. What do u recommend to begin with to find out if i will like the Ocharaku sound? Ive read alot about the KAEDE series and trying to find more info in English.

Where do i buy the Co- Donguri's? Preferably i could buy used,but seems that not to many people have these iems.

Not much metal at all. I liked brutality/raw power in music before. After i got a kid ive heard some classical music in a video for babies and it sounded awesome and got hooked since then! And my listening session is usually after she has gone to bed and im not into the metalmood then:wink:

Aug 16, 2020 at 9:53 AM Post #368 of 430
Than you should looking for co-donguri or donguri lines.

FIY, co-donguri and donguri are different.
Co-donguri produced by TTR company that ocharaku licensed its "tornado equaliser" tech, or if i may say, mass produced and cheaper, most co-donguri (shizuku, brass, shizuku 2) are priced below $100, except co-donguri syou, kurenai and comange 3 (all 3 were discountinued) priced $100 up, by using better materials.

Donguri lines were produced by Ocharaku, the original company. There were donguri kaede, donguri keyaki, keyaki ti plus, keyaki dual, and many donguris variants that discountinued.
Donguri were produced limited each year and by each year, there are improvements, so thats why there are many donguris, kaede, keyaki, etc.
So the price is a bit high, cheapest one is above $250.

And like @KalvinK said, the tuning of ocharaku, whether its co-donguri, donguri or flat-4, are a bit odd. Some might hear these earphones very pleasing, but most will find they sound odd.
So bear in mind, ocharaku's earphones might sound good and pleasing for listening jazz, slow pop, classical but the sound tuning might not pleased everybody.
Thanks for clearifying the different brands! It was a little confusing! Hmm.. So there exist donguri kaede that isnt FLAT4 series? Which of the cheaper ones are known to be good? Its the FLAT4 line i, especially kaede im interested in. Should i buy co-donguri or donguri to try? Or doesnt it mather cause the signatureaound is quite the same on both brands/types?

Aug 16, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #370 of 430
Hard to say whether you should start with co-donguri or donguri.

But my opinion, of you can afford donguri, include shipping + taxes, go for it.

I have co-donguri shizuku, which sound very treble, good separation, good sound imaging, with very little bass, and mid bass.
It hurts my ears when listening for 10 minutes or so. Very piercing.

About Donguri kaede, you should ask @KalvinK for more impressions and details.

Aug 16, 2020 at 10:33 AM Post #371 of 430
Hard to say whether you should start with co-donguri or donguri.

But my opinion, of you can afford donguri, include shipping + taxes, go for it.

I have co-donguri shizuku, which sound very treble, good separation, good sound imaging, with very little bass, and mid bass.
It hurts my ears when listening for 10 minutes or so. Very piercing.

About Donguri kaede, you should ask @KalvinK for more impressions and details.
Ah, that doesnt sound pleasant at all! So is the woodmaterial the only difference in the flat4 series?

Aug 16, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #372 of 430
Yes, wood materials different in flat 4 and donguri.

If you read any donguri and flat-4 with Kaede, keyaki, sakura names, it says what wood materials it uses.
Ti is titanium for front housing.

Screenshot_20200816-214656_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20200816-214756_Chrome.jpg
You can see what sort of materials between donguri kaede and donguri keyaki use.

And also Kaede is newer model than keyaki.

Screenshot_20200816-215425_Chrome.jpg

Aug 16, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #374 of 430
Yes, wood materials different in flat 4 and donguri.

If you read any donguri and flat-4 with Kaede, keyaki, sakura names, it says what wood materials it uses.
Ti is titanium for front housing.

You can see what sort of materials between donguri kaede and donguri keyaki use.

And also Kaede is newer model than keyaki.

Now i understand more! Haha..When that homepage is translated from Japanese to English, its MUCH easier to understand than Japanese to Norwegian!

Aug 17, 2020 at 4:47 AM Post #375 of 430
Having tried over a few years, Flat4 Sui, Ti Plus, Co Donguri Shizuku, and Shizuku S2, I would highly recommend Flat4 Sui Plus. The entry Flat4 has just enough bass to keep everything more balanced. Ti Plus is an old version, and left me wanting more bass. I suspect the newer Flat4 with woods have more bass now, plus CNF dynamic driver(?).

Flat4 generally has the largest soundstage, like listening to headphones. It's marvelous with classical to feel the hall.

Co Donguri is a great entry into Ocharaku tuning. Mid and treble tipped, don't worry, has enough bass to keep me happy. Just reference the Crinacle graphs on Ocharaku and compare to other famous brands of IEMs. Made in Thailand but it's all so well thought out. Perfect cable, flawless build quality, Final E tips, I don't understand why Shizuku S2 is not compared to Final E3000 as an alternative flavor (bassy romantic Final vs. forward punchy Shizuku).

No such thing as a perfect earphone. Just find something that you like the sound. Usually there are compromises at every budget, it's the science and laws of physics that limit what people can do with IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back