OCCUPY HI-FI - about Head-Fi (in relation to High End Audio) - GLOVES ARE OFF
Aug 26, 2013 at 1:55 AM Post #31 of 147
Quote:

The TMAC of Jude January was BRILLIANT!!
LMAO

That's so damn funny.

darthsmile.gif

Got that right. Hysterical!!!
Well done, all.

Aug 26, 2013 at 3:15 AM Post #32 of 147
Quote:
Quote:

The TMAC of Jude January was BRILLIANT!!
LMAO

That's so damn funny.

darthsmile.gif

Got that right. Hysterical!!!
Well done, all.

We had a ton of fun with that!  And Jude was such a good sport about it.

Now back on topic, I doubt that the old guard does stuff like that for Harley or Atkinson.

Aug 26, 2013 at 5:37 AM Post #33 of 147
the ball is rolling michael !!

Aug 26, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #34 of 147
Quote:
the ball is rolling michael !!

I'm SO psyched to see the support here for this article.
I poured my heart and soul into it.

Quote:

We had a ton of fun with that!  And Jude was such a good sport about it.

Now back on topic, I doubt that the old guard does stuff like that for Harley or Atkinson.

GREAT point.
I like John alot (Atkinson) because as serious as his writing can get, he still knows how to have fun and
make fun of himself.  Robert's more robotic.  I've been trying for years just to make him laugh!  It's a challenge.

These guys take themselves SO seriously its ridiculous - but not John, and John is, IMO, the hardest working on
them ALL.

Aug 26, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #35 of 147
Quote:

These guys take themselves SO seriously its ridiculous - but not John, and John is, IMO, the hardest working on
them ALL.

exactly !!
pretty soon there will be no one in the kingdom to rule over lol

Aug 26, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #36 of 147
Quote:
 exactly !!
pretty soon there will be no one in the kingdom to rule over lol

thats what they don't see.

The odd thing is: Having come up working for Hp (Harry Pearson for those of you unfamiliar), and working my ass off, I thought I'd be writing for The Absolute Sound still (or Hi-Fi+, where I got my start writing about music and audio) or one of the other audiophile rags.  But something always bothered me about the formula, and the attitude that they should get everything for FREE.  This sense of entitlement got to me.

I'm not indicting ANYBODY.  I just feel blessed that I CAN write a piece like Occupy and have my partners there support it,
and have you guys feel it - because I put my ALL into it.

The last time TAS came asking for a piece from me it was supposed to be about the future of our hobby.  So I wrote about
personal audio - and they didn't get it.  So, essentially I got paid, and the piece went nowhere.

But now look!  Look at where we are.  So I'm not as crazy as they think!

The paradigm's already shifted, and we're here: A collective of like-minded, excited people bound together by our love of 
music and personal audio.  We lift each other up, so the community is more important than any one individual - that's
what I always wanted in high end audio - but never got.

Aug 26, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #37 of 147
Quote:
thats what they don't see.

The odd thing is: Having come up working for Hp (Harry Pearson for those of you unfamiliar), and working my ass off, I thought I'd be writing for The Absolute Sound still (or Hi-Fi+, where I got my start writing about music and audio) or one of the other audiophile rags.  But something always bothered me about the formula, and the attitude that they should get everything for FREE.  This sense of entitlement got to me.

I'm not indicting ANYBODY.  I just feel blessed that I CAN write a piece like Occupy and have my partners there support it,
and have you guys feel it - because I put my ALL into it.

The last time TAS came asking for a piece from me it was supposed to be about the future of our hobby.  So I wrote about
personal audio - and they didn't get it.  So, essentially I got paid, and the piece went nowhere.

But now look!  Look at where we are.  So I'm not as crazy as they think!

The paradigm's already shifted, and we're here: A collective of like-minded, excited people bound together by our love of 
music and personal audio.  We lift each other up, so the community is more important than any one individual - that's
what I always wanted in high end audio - but never got.

well, i bet in the 50's 60's 70's too i suppose, the "hi fi hobbist" was just that, it was new, the folks that are the old guard now, were kids then, and i bet they felt a little different
time, money can change people

Aug 26, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #38 of 147
Quote:
well, i bet in the 50's 60's 70's too i suppose, the "hi fi hobbist" was just that, it was new, the folks that are the old guard now, were kids then, and i bet they felt a little different
time, money can change people

That's true!  I also had two GREAT teachers that taught me how to stay down-to-Earth - and always be humble.

Harry Pearson NEVER sold out, and never stopped telling the truth.  Which got him into trouble alot, but he stuck
to his principles. 

Arif Mardin, for all the Grammies he won (including one for Lifetime Achievement) was one of the most humble, giving people I EVER met.
and he was one of the architects of American contemporary music!!

So all I know to do is to keep going and spread the gospel of great sound and great music!!

Aug 29, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #39 of 147
I got a wonderful surprise text from Jude saying he thinks this maybe my best piece yet.
It made my WEEK!!

I love ya @Jude
You're a great friend and a wonderful peer.
I'm honored to be part of this tribe

Aug 29, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #40 of 147
Cheers, Jude! You clearly appreciate good work. 
smile.gif

beerchug.gif

Aug 30, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #41 of 147
Sep 2, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #43 of 147
Good article, thanks for posting. In the age of "personal audio" really starting to truly take over, I am still very surprised that more young people like some of my coworkers have never heard of this place or even thought about high-end audio. I have been doing hi-fi for so long that it's baseline at this point and it's hard to think that I can throw cheap Grados at someone and blow their mind anymore, but it happens all the time.

Sep 2, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #44 of 147
I think a lot of people have this idea that the difference between hi-fi and consumer cheapos is subtle and only something those "audiophile people" would hear. Some people even regard the whole thing as dubious and believe that there actually isn't a difference at all. Then, when they actually hear it for themselves and realize that they can hear the difference and it's not subtle, that's when the lightbulb goes off.

It's up to us to keep lighting those bulbs.

Sep 3, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #45 of 147
I am 56 and have been a hobbyist since my 20s and naturally have moved from speakers to headphones. Back to an earlier post about manufacturers of high end systems not coming down from their lofty perches, it is refreshing to see certain head-fi manufacturers like Centrance seeking the participation of their end users.

However when it comes to headphone manufacturers they seem less willing. You can buy a car and choose the color, the engine capacity, the trim and fitting levels etc. But not headphone manufacturers with their one size fits all philosophy.

Let me digress a moment. I have a large head and long (vertical length) ears. We Chinese believe that long ears mean good fortunes so ...

And here I'm talking of over-ear headphones, not on-ears, IEMs custom or otherwise, none of which suits me. To me, comfort first, audio quality second, heresy though it may sound (pardon the pun).

Anyway manufacturers claim their headphones suit x% of the population but what about the others. Is it so difficult to design ear pads with different sizes for the same model? By all means, qualify in your marketing brochure what a smaller or larger, or deeper or more shallow ear pads means to the sound. But give us a choice. Is that so difficult? I can live with only one size if driver housing but for Pete's sake (sorry to all Peters) give the people the choice.

The countless headphones I've owned and given away, all because of the too small for me earpads, include Beyer DT880 (comfy velour notwithstanding), Philips L1 (small), Sony MDR1R (shallow), AKG K550 (huge ear pad but small ear cavity), Audio Technica ATH AD700 (I can live with the purple), ATH-M50, etc

So right now all my headphones have larger ear pad cavities (LCD2, HD600/750, Denon D2000 to name a few).

Hope this is not off topic, Michael. It's a pet peeve of mine.

I'm contemplating a HE-500 but due to the earpad size, I'm trying to see what effect on the sound there is if I use LCD2 pads on them. The quite well rated original Momentum doesn't even get me excited when normal sized reviewers keep on mentioning the small ear cups. C'mon, different color trim is for dem young 'uns.

Great article, Mike. Including the earlier one re Personal Audio. I alsways pay attention to your posts on almost every thread on head-fi or elsewhere. Keep them coming

Users who are viewing this thread

Back