Obscure Chinese DAPs
Dec 7, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #3,856 of 8,127
Sure seems to me Walnut would be going in the wrong direction even with a screen since this rig seems to run for hours on end!!!

Darth Maul.JPG

Speaking of obscure DAP's can anyone even find this DAP anymore?

Thirty Five Dollars.JPG

https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot...&orderId=82909618483424&productId=32685693417

Dec 7, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #3,857 of 8,127
I have been impressed with the FA1 thus far. The sound is really in line with the AK Velvet sound signature and doesn't sound digital to me. I really appreciate the excellent detail retrieval and separation. The UI is really good too. There is no pop sound in the transducer during song change. The bass goes real deep.

Some of the cons:
- Occasionally, I will need to reset the machine but that is rare.
- There is a click sound from the machine (not in the transducer) at the end of songs.
- There is no true gapless. The gap is about half a second.
- The power is not as high as the Yin Lu Mei D200+ but that is a class A powerhouse.
- It seems that the LO is not a true lineout but just volume fixed at 50 (out of 100).
- Can't change the opamp like the D200+.

Overall, I would recommend the FA1 to anyone.

Well, thats encouraging, because I have one on the go, line out thing say it is a 2in1....perhaps there an option in UI about it don't know, but i'm happy to know it feel quite stable and not a chinese mess as we can have sometime, but one of my first player was a brick called Xuelin ihifi 812V2 and even if it was hell to use, the sound was mesmerizing, still regret selling it 3 years ago. AK look to be quite excellent in bass region, AK4490 sound is quite bassy too, but imaging is very out of the head, can't wait trying this DAP! Oh, and what about battery life? And did it look easy to open the day the battery will die so its easy to change...not as easy as Ibasso DX90 (why no more DAP with changeable battery design!?!) but more like Xduoo X3, unscrew and change the battery.

Dec 7, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #3,858 of 8,127
For those that want it; Shanling uploaded new firmware for the M1 and the M2s last month.
Several changes and Hiby Link now works on IOS too. I just tested it on the M2s.
And now we don't have to press "ON" twice every time to get to the normal interface.

Get the firmware here.
http://www.shanling.com/download/List#

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #3,859 of 8,127
Sure seems to me Walnut would be going in the wrong direction even with a screen since this rig seems to run for hours on end!!!

Speaking of obscure DAP's can anyone even find this DAP anymore?

https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot...&orderId=82909618483424&productId=32685693417

I have two of them. I bought the latest not too long ago, can't remember if it was ebay or Amazon (I'm in USA). I like that it has a larger screen than the current standard for extreme budget players. The controls could be a bit more intuitive but overall it's a nice player for on the go listening. It's been around for at least a couple of years so I doubt it's still being manufactured but I"m pretty sure there's still some stock out there.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #3,860 of 8,127
I have two of them. I bought the latest not too long ago, can't remember if it was ebay or Amazon (I'm in USA). I like that it has a larger screen than the current standard for extreme budget players. The controls could be a bit more intuitive but overall it's a nice player for on the go listening. It's been around for at least a couple of years so I doubt it's still being manufactured but I"m pretty sure there's still some stock out there.

I'm sure they are nice but 5 hour run time is not very long hence my comment. I'm in the states as well.

Dec 7, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #3,861 of 8,127
So.....somebody must put mein a asylum cause I CAN'T abstein myself when I see this F.AUDIO FA1 DAP using the top of the line AK dac called AK4497EQ....wich can be found in..well the 3500$ Astell & Kern DAP. Its one of my biggest investment, so my attempt are IMMENSE!!!

It make some time I do not have buy a DAP, so for Headfi and even more for my ears, I will try this one and share impressions. Price isn't high at all for the sound it promise, and it have a 32g internal memory (i'm not a big fan of ZERO memory).It have balanced output too. And...a remote control. Check it out, find it quite beautifull and sturdy looking!
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/F-A...DSD-Digital-Audio-Player-DAP/32841440263.html

Well, I hope the layer will arrive before the Usher LOL:grin:

I bought one too! Seemed like an incredible deal..........

Dec 7, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #3,862 of 8,127
Dec 7, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #3,863 of 8,127
For those that want it; Shanling uploaded new firmware for the M1…
Just a warning, they removed the auto off feature in the latest just released M1 firmware in favor of more control over the auto standby feature. Trouble is standby eats battery life compared to off. Initially when asked the Topping rep here said they had to choose between the two features. However the same rep recently posted that the engineer(s) figured out how to handle both. So I'd suggest waiting on the 4.1 version for a newer one that has both features. OTOH, if you haven't updated from whatever you got on the player (mine was less than 3 months old and had 1.x) you can update it to version 4.0. All this IMHO, of course :gs1000smile:

Dec 7, 2017 at 7:37 PM Post #3,864 of 8,127
Don't waste your money,I got one and although it sounds good there is a loud pop/click between tracks, louder than the volume I'm playing. Everyone who got one is praying for a firmware fix

Just curious, have you tried removing meta date from your tracks? C3 and other DAPs have had that issue and removing the tags resolved the pop/click issue.

Dec 7, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #3,865 of 8,127
Just curious, have you tried removing meta date from your tracks? C3 and other DAPs have had that issue and removing the tags resolved the pop/click issue.
I'll give that a go but no meta data no information, not good either way

Dec 7, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #3,867 of 8,127

Good point. I have found that cleaning up all of the excess/useless crap metadata has fixed a lot of odd issues over the years. I remove everything but the bare essentials (title, track, artist, album, genre, etc). I mean, I was shocked how many extra fields are added by ripping programs and iTunes (sometimes dozens).

It's easy with one of the decent batch utilities. I can cleanup and rename thousands of files at a time.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #3,868 of 8,127
As for the AK4497EQ-based devices, you can drool on this portable DAC-AMP by the YinLvMei A1 maker, it is even cheaper than the FA-1:) My guess is that after they decided to discontinue the A1 for some reason (the lack of MTK SoCs is very probable as the support service once wrote they had a shortage of SoCs for the A1) they prudently used its circuitry and R&D in this M200+ DAC-AMP to utilize their stock of DAC chips and other components, which they planned to use in future A1 DAP batches...

Can you post another link or model number (so I can search Google), as that link won't open for me for some reason

Dec 7, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #3,870 of 8,127
well removing all meta data makes no difference at all, this dap is not well implemented at all
Even DDaudio store seller warned me to NOT buy this DAP cause it have too much defect....when a seller try to convince you not buying one of its product, I think it mean ALOT. I was obsess to try AK4490, wich I listen too right now with a quite crappy DAC-AMP (real hell to use....and I guess it will have a very very low life span) so my hope now is in the big boy Faudio FA1. My attempt are out of this world, I really want it to be the budget luxury solution for people that cannot afford the only other one DAP using this chip....wich is the Astell & Kern ultima at 3500$ (luxury market is my number one ennemy in materialist world, even more in audio world, wich is why I don't respect hifiman anymore...2000$ IEM, 16 000$ headphones with AMP...What?1?).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back