Obscure Chinese DAPs
Dec 2, 2017 at 11:06 PM Post #3,826 of 8,123
Lossless
Hard drive memory is inexpensive, stay uncompressed for your master copy. Some can hear the difference between WAV and flac. Not to open an argument but I used to use flac all the time and switched to WAV. I won’t go back.
Unfortunately lossless is just that lossless so the original is always recoverable. If whatever one uses to listen to music has an issue with playing the flac file it can always be turned back into the original audio. So no reason to archive without using a lossless format.

Dec 3, 2017 at 12:02 AM Post #3,827 of 8,123
Lossless

Unfortunately lossless is just that lossless so the original is always recoverable. If whatever one uses to listen to music has an issue with playing the flac file it can always be turned back into the original audio. So no reason to archive without using a lossless format.
well said

Dec 3, 2017 at 12:03 AM Post #3,828 of 8,123
Dec 3, 2017 at 12:13 AM Post #3,829 of 8,123
Hard drive memory is inexpensive, stay uncompressed for your master copy. Some can hear the difference between WAV and flac. Not to open an argument but I used to use flac all the time and switched to WAV. I won’t go back.
It's a LOSSLESS compression format. Anybody who thinks they can hear a difference is delusional.

Dec 4, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #3,830 of 8,123
I am looking to replace my gen5 ipod running rockbox. lol. I am interested in obscure chinese daps and the walnut looks tempting but i need something with a screen and decent storage space (the gen 3 looks like it still has issues to work out. All of my library is flac. I don't necessarily have a set price, but just looking for what is currently considered a great value for price. Theres a ton of info in this thread and its hard to determine what is a "flavor of the week" and what is tried and true. any help appreciated.

Dec 4, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #3,831 of 8,123
I am looking to replace my gen5 ipod running rockbox. lol. I am interested in obscure chinese daps and the walnut looks tempting but i need something with a screen and decent storage space (the gen 3 looks like it still has issues to work out. All of my library is flac. I don't necessarily have a set price, but just looking for what is currently considered a great value for price. Theres a ton of info in this thread and its hard to determine what is a "flavor of the week" and what is tried and true. any help appreciated.

Since you're used to Rockbox, you'll feel right at home with another player that runs Rockbox. I recommend the xduoo X3. It has dual card slots and supports a VERIFIED 512GB of space (possibly more now that the Sandisk 400GB cards are out).

It's a great value for the price (can often be found on sale in the $70-ish range, and has even been sold as low as $50. You'll lose the color screen and click wheel of the iPod obviously.

I rarely if ever use my 128GB SSD Rockboxed iPod Classic 5.5 anymore.

Dec 4, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #3,832 of 8,123
Since you're used to Rockbox, you'll feel right at home with another player that runs Rockbox. I recommend the xduoo X3.

I was thinking the same when I saw the post but had no time to reply right then. Thanks for doing it for me:)

Dec 5, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #3,837 of 8,123
Well, the nano d3 is on massdrop, but don't really see the dea as it was 65 bucks shipped on AE and the drop will be shipped the in a month

Dec 5, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #3,838 of 8,123

Users who are viewing this thread

Back