Obscure Chinese DAPs
Oct 19, 2017 at 6:53 AM Post #3,601 of 8,152
Oct 19, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #3,602 of 8,152
I'm currently in the market for a good DAP, wondering if there were any worthwhile options for under $300 USD? Currently looking at a Sony NW-A45 or Plenue D, but I'm open to other things. Touchscreen is preffered, but buttons are fine as long as the UI is responsive. I'd also want a somewhat larger DAP. I have big hands and bigger DAPs just feel nicer to use.
Any suggestions?

The Opus #1 has gone below $300 on amazon.com now. 2 card slots. Leather case. Large with some weight to it. It is my best dap but not my most pocketable.

Oct 19, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #3,603 of 8,152
The Opus #1 has gone below $300 on amazon.com now. 2 card slots. Leather case. Large with some weight to it. It is my best dap but not my most pocketable.

WOAH

THAT is such a great deal!!

I think the only other DAP that has 2 card slots and I consider really good at that price range would be X5ii from FiiO, but I haven't compared the sound between #1 and X5ii. I am not sure, but I think #1 shuld be really good!

Oct 19, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #3,604 of 8,152
WOAH

THAT is such a great deal!!

I think the only other DAP that has 2 card slots and I consider really good at that price range would be X5ii from FiiO, but I haven't compared the sound between #1 and X5ii. I am not sure, but I think #1 shuld be really good!
To my surprise amazon.com would ship this to the uk. Even with import fees (which amazon supposedly pay on your behalf and refund the difference) it works out about £230! To order it in the uk (not that it's available now for some reason) would cost £430!

Oct 23, 2017 at 4:27 AM Post #3,606 of 8,152
To my surprise amazon.com would ship this to the uk. Even with import fees (which amazon supposedly pay on your behalf and refund the difference) it works out about £230! To order it in the uk (not that it's available now for some reason) would cost £430!

I thought this sounded too good to be true! Its a good deal but you still pay duty and shipping to the UK about £80, it works out at £307.I purchased the Cowon P1 from Amazon.com in a another excellent deal and it it arrived in 3 days.

Oct 26, 2017 at 6:22 AM Post #3,607 of 8,152
Hi,
i bought the Ruizu A50. Can someone tell me how to update the firmware?
I just found their Website, where i cant read anything.

I bought my Ruizu A50 from PenonAudio and i asked them about firmware upgrade.
They send to me the two necessary files (RUIZU_A50.HEX and RUIZU_A50_M2_20170805.fw) with DSD256 files support and i upgraded my Ruizu A50 with them, but i have not yet checked if the DSD256 files support is included in this release as i need to get a DSD256 test file before.

Oct 26, 2017 at 7:18 AM Post #3,608 of 8,152
They send to me the two necessary files (RUIZU_A50.HEX and RUIZU_A50_M2_20170805.fw) with DSD256 files support and i upgraded my Ruizu A50 with them, but i have not yet checked if the DSD256 files support is included in this release as i need to get a DSD256 test file before.

Good to know that they are providing updates and that the process works. Let us know if you see any other differences. I do not need DSD so I will not upgrade at this time. I was hoping for gain settings and gapless play. Gain settings because with some iems I have to take the volume all the way down to 8 which sometimes even seems to high but 7 is too low. It certainly has power!

I got mine from Penon as well.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017 at 7:23 AM Post #3,609 of 8,152
That is exactly why it's a fruitless pursuit (DSD) for the most part. People simply don't have / use it and the file sizes are ridiculous. It's just a marketing tool.

Oct 26, 2017 at 7:28 AM Post #3,610 of 8,152
That is exactly why it's a fruitless pursuit (DSD) for the most part. People simply don't have / use it and the file sizes are ridiculous. It's just a marketing tool.

I grabbed some free demo tracks and was not impressed. Even with my best daps or my desktop system. I deleted them from the daps because, as you said, the file sizes are ridiculous. I stick with regular FLAC.

edited to add... I just remembered... at one point I did connect my Opus#! to my tube amp and then used my Amiron Home headphones to listen to the DAP files. It was a nice listen... but no better than when I use FLAC with the same setup.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017 at 9:25 AM Post #3,611 of 8,152

-----------------------------------------------------------
Crossposted from the Ruizu A50 thread)
The new firmware can easily be downloaded from their website (http://www.ruizu.com.cn/).
Let Google Translate translate the page (use Chrome, Install the plugin).
You have to download a tool and the firmware (20170805) itself.
The tool can be installed like this : take the files MSIEN.MSI and MSI.CAB from the unpacked folder and put them in the root one of your drives.
Doubleclick MSIEN.MSI.
In installs the English version of the tool which also has an English helpfile.

The firmware package contains two sets of .HEX and .FW files. One has -I- in it's name so I reckon that's the international version.

When you start the program it asks you to select an .FW file.

That is where it ended for me since the program didn't see my device and when selecting one of the firmware files it said they were corrupted.
The download went without problems and the .zip file unpacked without error so the files are not corrupt (or they are corrupt on the Ruizu site).

As last attempt I put both files on an empty SD card and tried the upgrade option on the device but that didn't find any files and offers no choice to select anything.

I'm happy with the device as it is, and to be honest, I don't expect any fixes or support on it. If you want that you need to buy a Shanling, or Cayin player (which I have both too).

-----------------------------------------------------------

I wonder what you did to get it to work...
Can you explain what you did different? I'm sure more people are interested.

Oct 27, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #3,612 of 8,152
I wonder what you did to get it to work...
Can you explain what you did different? I'm sure more people are interested.

You don't need any additional tool to install the new firmware!
I just copied the two firmware files into the root of the microsd and then selected from A50 menu the "Auto Upgrade" command: non program needed at all.

Just be aware that you need to rename correctly the international version of both files! Otherwise they are not regnized!

The correct name of files MUST be:
RUIZU_A50.HEX
RUIZU_A50_M2_20170805.fw

Just to complete answer, with the new firmware installed i have no information at all into the "iNFORMATION" menu section of the player but only the word "Model"

Oct 27, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #3,614 of 8,152
You don't need any additional tool to install the new firmware!
I just copied the two firmware files into the root of the microsd and then selected from A50 menu the "Auto Upgrade" command: non program needed at all.

Just be aware that you need to rename correctly the international version of both files! Otherwise they are not regnized!

The correct name of files MUST be:
RUIZU_A50.HEX
RUIZU_A50_M2_20170805.fw

Just to complete answer, with the new firmware installed i have no information at all into the "iNFORMATION" menu section of the player but only the word "Model"

Thanks a lot.
The devil is in the details, as usual.
I removed the "_I" part from the names and copied these to a card.
Now the update worked. and after a short time the A50 turned itself off.
I replaced the SD card and restarted it. It was reset to the Chinese language and it started to rescan the SD card...
After the rescan it was easy to set to reselect the English language and all works fine again.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back