Obscure Chinese DAPs
Apr 12, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #1,097 of 8,158
  Nice to hear that your impressions has changed for the better. Although I didn't find the UI on the Ruizu X02 (and the Idealist s1813 that's identical) to be very impressive I'd describe it as workable as well. My biggest grip with the X02 was how rolled off the bass was on it, most likely a trade off to reach the impressive 80 hours of playback time on one charge.

I haven't done any critical listening yet and my expectations in that area are relatively low.  It's a cheap player and I'll be using it (mostly) for the gym.  If the battery life is even half of the 55 hours (as claimed under specifications on the Penon site) I'll be satisfied.  Out of curiousity this week I'll try pairing it with some CIEMs to see how effectively they're driven.

Apr 12, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #1,098 of 8,158
I haven't done any critical listening yet and my expectations in that area are relatively low.  It's a cheap player and I'll be using it (mostly) for the gym.  If the battery life is even half of the 55 hours (as claimed under specifications on the Penon site) I'll be satisfied.  Out of curiousity this week I'll try pairing it with some CIEMs to see how effectively they're driven.

I agree with you, not the device for critical listening. I mainly used my X02 on flights before it broke due to it's great battery life. I've gotta admit though that I really like the sound of the S1813 and uses it quite often at home. I'm excited to see what the C1 can offer....

Apr 23, 2016 at 3:43 AM Post #1,102 of 8,158
  New DAP Van gogh V5.
http://www.shenzhenaudio.com/van-gogh-v5-portable-hifi-nondestructive-player-128g.html
What do you think ?

looks interesting especially the info about bass, but does it have eq

Apr 23, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #1,107 of 8,158
Definitely some inspiration from the HM-901, methinks
ph34r.gif

Not outrageously-so, but... to my eyes, there is more than a random coincidence.

(choice of ES9018, choice of volume dial style, and several other minor design-cues are a little reminiscent of HiFiMan)

Apr 23, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #1,109 of 8,158
  Definitely some inspiration from the HM-901, methinks
ph34r.gif

My concern would be if the "Flang" logo is meant to represent the sound it makes when you throw it across the room 'cause of the funky UI

I hadn't noticed the 'Flang' logo - could that be a subtle, deliberately slightly-misspelled, reference to Fang Bian ?

Or......... could this DAP even be a stealth, undercover release by HiFiMan themselves, under a different name?  (I doubt it very much, but it's fun to ponder)

Apr 23, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #1,110 of 8,158
Oh, that Van Gogh DAP looks interesting. I am a ESS fanboy. Not all implementations feature the (in)famous Sabre glare though, some of them sound very neutral and neither super quick nor super splashy and fresh with higher notes (not that it was a huge difference from neutral sound anyway, but I like a little "Sabre glare digression").

The volume dial looks like it's an analogue volume pot, and I've learned to hate analogue pots over the years since digital volume control is becoming more and more common.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back