Obscure Chinese DAPs
Apr 2, 2024 at 12:35 PM Post #8,102 of 8,127
I have FA4 and I don't have any problems when skiping to another song and I am very satisfied sometimes the player blocks but long press on power solves everything. As for the firmware where did you find that there is version 9.2 because when I almost asked the seller he told me that there is no newer version than 8.1
It's 90$ on Aliexpress right now, i don't think i will find better for the price. Another question i got did you try it on bluetooth mode? because i use apple music to discover new music so it would be great to use my android phone to stream from It. If you used it please share you expirence.

as for the update it was posted on page 530, on the folder there's a 9.2 version but i don't know anything about it. It's really hard to find anything about the device online the video which i watched it was in chinese and i used auto translator so when he mentioned about the problem where skipping a song he might meant something else.

Apr 2, 2024 at 12:55 PM Post #8,103 of 8,127
It's 90$ on Aliexpress right now, i don't think i will find better for the price. Another question i got did you try it on bluetooth mode? because i use apple music to discover new music so it would be great to use my android phone to stream from It. If you used it please share you expirence.

as for the update it was posted on page 530, on the folder there's a 9.2 version but i don't know anything about it. It's really hard to find anything about the device online the video which i watched it was in chinese and i used auto translator so when he mentioned about the problem where skipping a song he might meant something else.
I use Bluetooth regularly when I listen to music with the FA4 and it is a very stable and strong connection at a distance of 6-7 meters. And what I really like is the fact that EQ of the player works in Bluetooth mode, which was very important to me to be able to influence the sound and it sounds great through my ANKER SOUNDCORE 2 bluetooth speaker. As for the update, version 9.2 refers to FAudio T3 and not to FA4.

Apr 2, 2024 at 1:03 PM Post #8,104 of 8,127
I use Bluetooth regularly when I listen to music with the FA4 and it is a very stable and strong connection at a distance of 6-7 meters. And what I really like is the fact that EQ of the player works in Bluetooth mode, which was very important to me to be able to influence the sound and it sounds great through my ANKER SOUNDCORE 2 bluetooth speaker. As for the update, version 9.2 refers to FAudio T3 and not to FA4.
Thanks for sharing. I'm not sure about the update but that's the name "FA4P_V9.2_20230928_LMT_SN=FA4P.ekf" and for the 8.1 "FA4P_V8.1_20221207_SN=FA4P开头.ekf" they are the same name right? i'm confused as the T3 name is "T3_V8.3_20240131 (default english).npg". Even the extension is different FA4 = .ekf , T = .npg

The issue is there's no one to ask about it, they don't even have an official website unless it's in chinese i don't know i tried to search but found nothing.

Apr 2, 2024 at 2:10 PM Post #8,105 of 8,127
Thanks for sharing. I'm not sure about the update but that's the name "FA4P_V9.2_20230928_LMT_SN=FA4P.ekf" and for the 8.1 "FA4P_V8.1_20221207_SN=FA4P开头.ekf" they are the same name right? i'm confused as the T3 name is "T3_V8.3_20240131 (default english).npg". Even the extension is different FA4 = .ekf , T = .npg

The issue is there's no one to ask about it, they don't even have an official website unless it's in chinese i don't know i tried to search but found nothing.
Then I was wrong about that i saw now in the folder. The problem with most Chinese manufacturers, except for the big ones, is that support for a model stops when a newer model appears than it is very difficult to do anything and it is a real pain to find an update if there is one at all for your older model

Apr 3, 2024 at 8:45 AM Post #8,106 of 8,127
I'm intersted in getting the FA4, but i have heard when going to the next song you can hear crackling and clicking sound. Is this fixed or not? because i had a usb dac with the same problem and it made me insane, i had to return it. I've been reading discussions about the FA4 and people mentioned if you have more than 3000 songs you start having problems, is this true? the hardware is very good for the price but i see a lot of software issues. Also, i noticed the firmware you posted is v8.1, and while i was searching i found a v9.2, is there a reason to use older versions?
No hissing/crackling trouble on my side. Regarding the filecount limit, it's related to the library and the fact that it automatically rescan your microSD each time you power on the device. So, up to 3000 audio files, the scan is lightning fast (routine is ASM optimised), but over this 3000 files limit, the scanning takes up to 20 minutes to complete (tested with a 512GB microSD containing around 30.000 files). Yes, their database scheme and arbitrary files limit is absurd, don't ask me why this was implemented this way, it's just like that. As you have noted, the hardware is top-notch, indeed and the device delivers plenty of listening pleasure. As for the firmware version, it's actually stuck at 8.1, that's it. It's a customized version of the very first iterations of the "Hiby OS", looks alike the "Hifi Walker H2" OS, kind of. It's okay. Bluetooth works fine, USB DAC mode works fine too. There's a 9.2 version for the firmware, but that's not for the "F.AUDIO FA4", that's for a rebrand of this exact same device under "LIMETECC" label for the asiatic market. I've tried this firmware version (9.2) onto the F.AUDIO FA4 and the display is inverted : upside-down with video inversion. This was done on purpose to prevent users of the F.AUDIO FA4 model to upgrade their device's firmware. You could use it, but everything is inverted, so right is left and vice-versa, you have to lower the volume to crank it up, etc... I've personnaly rolled back to the previous version (8.1). Otherwise, one way to bypass this stupid 3000 files limit is by using ISO files or FLAC Full albums with cuesheets. Also, I ended up with 450 (60GB) ambient mixes produced by Low Light Mixes wich is roughly 450 hours of music. That's plenty. Else, i just connect to my LG G5 bluetooth and feed audio to the FA4 this way. So, it works great as a bluetooth amp too !

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 2:15 AM Post #8,107 of 8,127
No hissing/crackling trouble on my side. Regarding the filecount limit, it's related to the library and the fact that it automatically rescan your microSD each time you power on the device. So, up to 3000 audio files, the scan is lightning fast (routine is ASM optimised), but over this 3000 files limit, the scanning takes up to 20 minutes to complete (tested with a 512GB microSD containing around 30.000 files). Yes, their database scheme and arbitrary files limit is absurd, don't ask me why this was implemented this way, it's just like that. As you have noted, the hardware is top-notch, indeed and the device delivers plenty of listening pleasure. As for the firmware version, it's actually stuck at 8.1, that's it. It's a customized version of the very first iterations of the "Hiby OS", looks alike the "Hifi Walker H2" OS, kind of. It's okay. Bluetooth works fine, USB DAC mode works fine too. There's a 9.2 version for the firmware, but that's not for the "F.AUDIO FA4", that's for a rebrand of this exact same device under "LIMETECC" label for the asiatic market. I've tried this firmware version (9.2) onto the F.AUDIO FA4 and the display is inverted : upside-down with video inversion. This was done on purpose to prevent users of the F.AUDIO FA4 model to upgrade their device's firmware. You could use it, but everything is inverted, so right is left and vice-versa, you have to lower the volume to crank it up, etc... I've personnaly rolled back to the previous version (8.1). Otherwise, one way to bypass this stupid 3000 files limit is by using ISO files or FLAC Full albums with cuesheets. Also, I ended up with 450 (60GB) ambient mixes produced by Low Light Mixes wich is roughly 450 hours of music. That's plenty. Else, i just connect to my LG G5 bluetooth and feed audio to the FA4 this way. So, it works great as a bluetooth amp too !
Although it is not the 9.2 native version of the firmware for FA4, everything behaves normally for me because I installed it yesterday for me nothing is inverted. Otherwise, I am delighted with what you get for the cost of this player and the majority of those who criticize it have probably not even tried to use it, much less to buy it. So I can recommend it to everyone. Otherwise, after installing the 9.2 version of the firmware, I notice that the sound is lil bit louder and that the sound is somehow fuller.

Apr 4, 2024 at 5:09 AM Post #8,108 of 8,127
Although it is not the 9.2 native version of the firmware for FA4, everything behaves normally for me because I installed it yesterday for me nothing is inverted. Otherwise, I am delighted with what you get for the cost of this player and the majority of those who criticize it have probably not even tried to use it, much less to buy it. So I can recommend it to everyone. Otherwise, after installing the 9.2 version of the firmware, I notice that the sound is lil bit louder and that the sound is somehow fuller.
I'm absolutely positive about this DAP, given the specs of the device, it's a real bargain at this price point.
The sound it delivers put it a the top of the mid-tier. Perhaps even a little bit higher up the ladder given its price / performance ratio...
BTW, what is the SNID printed at the back of your unit ?
Mine is "EKG202202200".

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 5:30 AM Post #8,109 of 8,127
I'm absolutely positive about this DAP, given the specs of the device, it's a real bargain at this price point.
The sound it delivers put it a the top of the mid-tier. Perhaps even a little bit higher up the ladder given its price / performance ratio...
BTW, what is the SNID printed at the back of your unit ?
Mine is "EKG202202200".
This is mine.

Attachments

• IMG_20240404_112639.jpg
    IMG_20240404_112639.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
Apr 4, 2024 at 6:10 AM Post #8,110 of 8,127
This is mine.
Okay, it seems that units having a SNID beginning with "FA4P" can and should be upgraded with the latest firmwares then...
Too bad for those units which have a SNID starting with "EKG". I bought mine at hifigo...

Apr 4, 2024 at 8:34 PM Post #8,111 of 8,127
This is the only page i've found on Baidu where FA4 firmwares updates are stored : https://pan.baidu.com/s/17afFdtXFjiGDkWxOH6g9rA
Now, to be able to download from Baidu without owning a chinese phone number, someone can use the service located at : https://genesis-ark.club/#Start
Once there, input the Baidu link you wish to download from, but add the password after a question mark to unlock the contents.
In that case : https://pan.baidu.com/s/17afFdtXFjiGDkWxOH6g9rA?pwd=6666
Then wait for the service to decrypt the folder contents which will appear in the listbox below the input field.
All the files will be there for you to download...
Enjoy !

Apr 8, 2024 at 2:10 AM Post #8,114 of 8,127
Apr 14, 2024 at 3:18 AM Post #8,115 of 8,127

Users who are viewing this thread

Back