Obscure Chinese DAPs
Feb 2, 2021 at 6:55 AM Post #7,381 of 8,127
Xuelin iHifi 790, but that's permanently stunted with no memory expansion and only 32GB onboard.

Hidizs AP80 Pro would fit the bill but definitely costs significantly >$100

Combining a Tempotec V1 + Sonata BHD could get you closer to the $100 budget but no volume knob

Any particular reason that you're wedded to the idea of having a cheap player with balanced output? Balanced output doesn't automatically confer improved sound over single-ended (the devil is in the implementation details), and there are perfectly decent sounding single-ended players in that price range e.g. Shanling Q1
Xuelin iHifi 790, but that's permanently stunted with no memory expansion and only 32GB onboard.

Hidizs AP80 Pro would fit the bill but definitely costs significantly >$100

Combining a Tempotec V1 + Sonata BHD could get you closer to the $100 budget but no volume knob

Any particular reason that you're wedded to the idea of having a cheap player with balanced output? Balanced output doesn't automatically confer improved sound over single-ended (the devil is in the implementation details), and there are perfectly decent sounding single-ended players in that price range e.g. Shanling Q1
Thank you! I got a 2.5mm mmcx cable for cheap from a local seller and just want to find a use for it, which is why I'm looking for a dap to kill two birds with one stone. I think I'll save up for the Hidizs, but how would it compare to, say, an LG V30+? I can trade my old iPhone for one right now, so I'm a bit perplexed...

Feb 2, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #7,382 of 8,127
Feb 6, 2021 at 6:59 AM Post #7,383 of 8,127
ACMEE MF-01 Firmware VER 2.1.6.C

MF-01 VER 2.1.6.C system firmware
Author: 点击:144 Post Time:2021-02-03 11:26:07
/*******************************************

Time:20210203
Version:V2.1.6.
Modification notes.
1. Add M4A decoding support
2. Fix the problem of popping sound at the end of some DSF files
3. Add 32bit 192khz wav file decoding
4. Add text export of marked song list names
5. Fix the frequent 0206-0001 error (to be tested)

http://www.acmee.cn/index.php?s=index/show/index&id=609

Feb 7, 2021 at 6:07 AM Post #7,384 of 8,127
My small modification for F.Audio FA3s:

I think, that stock opa1612 is fake.

Mod result: more detailed, more high frequency.the sound became more aggressive, a wide stage appeared.

Feb 7, 2021 at 8:48 PM Post #7,385 of 8,127
Updated the ACMEE MF01 with the LM4562 opamp and yes, it improved the sound although taking the muse out was a btch
going to update the muse in my Nuansa P1 to the OPA1622 per Hiflight to see the difference
so many nice no name DAPs now and so little time
trying to pair DAP/IEM combos for grab and go kits

Feb 11, 2021 at 5:18 AM Post #7,386 of 8,127
I just got a JWD JWM-115 player, but I believe it has some problems with the headphone out level :frowning2:
The output volume for every IEM I've tried (e.g. KZ DQ6, KZ EDX, TRN V20, BLON-05s) is unbelievably high and I can only listen to volume level 1 out of 32 (and 1 is already a bit too high). It has also a very audible hissing background noise.
Did anybody face a similar issue? Any suggestion to fix the problem, e.g. using a passive attenuator (any ideas where/which to buy)? I was also searching for a FW upgrade (I'm on V1.26), but I can't find any, no even the existing one which maybe I could try to re-flesh :frowning2:
Shipping back to Ali is not an option, as it will be more expensive than the player.

Just for "fun", I tried to use the Sennheiser HD650 with this player, and the hiss is almost gone + I can finally move the volume above 1 :)

Feb 11, 2021 at 5:26 AM Post #7,387 of 8,127
I just got a JWD JWM-115 player, but I believe it has some problems with the headphone out level :frowning2:
The output volume for every IEM I've tried (e.g. KZ DQ6, KZ EDX, TRN V20, BLON-05s) is unbelievably high and I can only listen to volume level 1 out of 32 (and 1 is already a bit too high). It has also a very audible hissing background noise.
Did anybody face a similar issue? Any suggestion to fix the problem, e.g. using a passive attenuator (any ideas where/which to buy)? I was also searching for a FW upgrade (I'm on V1.26), but I can't find any, no even the existing one which maybe I could try to re-flesh :frowning2:
Shipping back to Ali is not an option, as it will be more expensive than the player.

Just for "fun", I tried to use the Sennheiser HD650 with this player, and the hiss is almost gone + I can finally move the volume above 1 :)

It probably isn't a good pairing with high sensitivity type iems, the hiss is probably cause of that. Probably the better pairing is with lower sensitivity +/- high impedance type iems and more power hungry cans/planars.

U can try an inline volume controller (they go at a few bucks) or some impedance mismatch device to kind of salvage the situation with sensitive iems, but it might change the sound signature for worse.

Feb 11, 2021 at 5:43 AM Post #7,388 of 8,127
It probably isn't a good pairing with high sensitivity type iems, the hiss is probably cause of that. Probably the better pairing is with lower sensitivity +/- high impedance type iems and more power hungry cans/planars.

Thanks baskingshark. Based on JWM-115 reviews, it seems the player is dealing quite well with all type of iems, so I likely received a defective unit :frowning2:
I just noticed that in the @cqtek 's review of this player, there is a picture with an audio attenuator sitting next to it, so maybe he also faced a similar issue.

As attenuator I was looking for something as small as a jack adapter (or with a 5-10cm cable in between the jacks), to keep the player as portable. Not sure if an inline volume controller would work.

Feb 11, 2021 at 6:52 AM Post #7,389 of 8,127

I don't think your experience is that unusual - which is a shame as the 115 has an engaging sound signature, so much so that despite its flaws it remains one of my favourite DAPs. For its price, there is nice clarity there.

I have BLON 05s too and it's rare that I'll ever drop down to a volume level of 1, although I normally remain in single figures. Full size cans however will see me in the high teens/low 20s. And the noise floor on quiet tracks or between tracks is irritating, but is almost eliminated with higher impedance phones.

Have you tried it with full size headphones? I think it's worth persisting with.

Feb 11, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #7,390 of 8,127

I recommend the iFi EarBuddy or iEMatch attenuators for this issue. I'm not an electrical engineer, so maybe I’ve got this wrong. But the attenuators are just resistors - their impedance shouldn’t change with frequency of signal passing through them.

Feb 11, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #7,391 of 8,127
You guys do understand that attenuators will reduce not only the hiss, but the voltage.
The source only pushes 0.68 volts max
So if the hiss bothers you, you should just get rid of it.

Basically 0.68 volts, means it is meant for very sensitive iems and earbuds or very very sensitive full size.
Sensitive gear will make the hissing louder, attenuation will reduce volume and change the sound signature.
I've tried attenuators for my walnut amp, then realized it didn't sound so great, made it a bit muddy. So I bought some high impedance buds and it was much better, also noticed high impedance gear tends to sound good with a lot of gear as long as it's strong enough.
Otherwise the sub bass stopped rumbling and the highs become softer

Feb 11, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #7,392 of 8,127
Have you tried it with full size headphones? I think it's worth persisting with.
I tried with the Senn HD650 and the hiss is gone. And I can easily push to 30/32 volume steps on full headphones. That's basically the hint that pointed me towards the attenuator.

I recommend the iFi EarBuddy or iEMatch attenuators for this issue. I'm not an electrical engineer, so maybe I’ve got this wrong. But the attenuators are just resistors - their impedance shouldn’t change with frequency of signal passing through them.

Thanks for the suggestion, but the EarBuddy is around $30 and iEMatch is +$100, which would be a bit too much for this player. I was looking for some cheap attenuator (~$5) with just a resistance in them... I remember seeing them several years ago on ebay, but I can' t find any right now :frowning2:

You guys do understand that attenuators will reduce not only the hiss, but the voltage.
The source only pushes 0.68 volts max
So if the hiss bothers you, you should just get rid of it.
Basically 0.68 volts, means it is meant for very sensitive iems and earbuds or very very sensitive full size.

But being a low voltage player, wouldn't this be a perfect match for sensitive iems (e.g. full BAs ones)? That's the thing that gets me confused: I planned to use this player with sensitive iems, and now it seems I need to use it only with full headphones :)

Feb 11, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #7,393 of 8,127
I tried with the Senn HD650 and the hiss is gone. And I can easily push to 30/32 volume steps on full headphones. That's basically the hint that pointed me towards the attenuator.

Thanks for the suggestion, but the EarBuddy is around $30 and iEMatch is +$100, which would be a bit too much for this player. I was looking for some cheap attenuator (~$5) with just a resistance in them... I remember seeing them several years ago on ebay, but I can' t find any right now :frowning2:

But being a low voltage player, wouldn't this be a perfect match for sensitive iems (e.g. full BAs ones)? That's the thing that gets me confused: I planned to use this player with sensitive iems, and now it seems I need to use it only with full headphones :)
I don’t have any experience with these particular products, but Penon sells “impedance adapters” at various values for about $8 - https://penonaudio.com/accessories/earphone-adapters/3.5mm-impedance-adapter.html
I purchased gear from Penon once before, and everything was fine.

Again, I admit I’m not an electrical engineer. But it seems to me that if a person says that a player is too loud for them at the lowest volume setting, then inadequate voltage is not the problem they are having - regardless of whether the exact number is generally considered to be high or low.

Feb 11, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #7,394 of 8,127

The hiss has nothing to do with power or voltage.
The hiss is usually do to higher output impedance or bad circuitry
From memory
More then 1ohm will make b.a. drivers sound off
Anything above that can ad a hiss to very sensitive iems
Anything above 10 ohms will affect sensitive dynamic driver
Andy thing above 20 start to colour all low impedance dynamic drivers
So if you want to make sure you don't colour sound, find sources with less then 10 ohms
And if you plan on sensitive iems and b.a. drivers
Look for an out put of 1 ohm or lower

Most manufacturers today avoid stating these things, mainly because it's a lot cheaper then actually hiring engineers to fix the issues, seeing as you are expected to replace what ever you buy in 1.5 to 2 years (thanks apple for there revolutionary planned obsolescence) and it may take a lot of money and time for the engineers to fix, so instead, they follow dac manufacturers specs, double down on marketing (like sending a bunch of reviewers there product, sometimes even sending other gifts, as long as it's not cash, then it's still not a "paid" review) so in the end, we, the consumer are told by all the reviews, that every player is awesome, of course one is trash, but the majority are the best ever, but there is a slight hiss (not ideal out put impedance/bad circuitry/amp stage) but the sound is so juicy, and the bass is solid, but not too much rumble(sub bass roll off) or the highs are gentle (treble roll off)

Best advice I have heard here on headfi is this,

"if you don't love it as soon as you hear it, no amount of burn in or modifying will make it better"
So if it isn't working for you, sell it before it loses too much value

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #7,395 of 8,127
I don’t have any experience with these particular products, but Penon sells “impedance adapters” at various values for about $8 - https://penonaudio.com/accessories/earphone-adapters/3.5mm-impedance-adapter.html
I purchased gear from Penon once before, and everything was fine.

Thanks. I forgot to search in the most obvious place, Penon :wink: (I already ordered from them few times). These are exactly the adapters I was looking for.

"if you don't love it as soon as you hear it, no amount of burn in or modifying will make it better"
So if it isn't working for you, sell it before it loses too much value

Thanks for the very detailed information about impedance and distortion correlations. It will be extra useful when I will buy some new gear (if manufacturers declare these values). I will try this $10 fix via adapter and if it does not work, I can still gift the player to my brother, bundled with some headphones.
I'll head back now to my trusted Sony NW-A55

Users who are viewing this thread

Back