Obscure Chinese DAPs
Jan 29, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #7,366 of 8,152
So nobody sais anything, I asked if anything beats the dx120 for under 250 dollars

Does this mean that the dx120 is the best DAP under 250?

I know it doesn't have Bluetooth and WiFi, but I specifically want to take advantage of all my dsd and nice large flacs, seeing as how Bluetooth isn't high resolution, there is not point
So are there any players the will beat the dx120 in sound, seperation, Soundstage and power?

Jan 30, 2021 at 12:17 AM Post #7,368 of 8,152
I bought F.Audio FA3s and have been using it for about a month. if you have any questions, i can ask. First I will say that planar headphones HE400SE can drive without problems. and, friends, I want to say that one store where i buy this dap(KRHIFI, maybe this NiceHCK store, hm?) threw me for money and that I would not recommend buying this player without a guarantee :/

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2021 at 12:23 AM Post #7,369 of 8,152
What's the cheapest dap with a 2.5mm balanced output and a volume knob? Preferably around $100 and under

Xuelin iHifi 790, but that's permanently stunted with no memory expansion and only 32GB onboard.

Hidizs AP80 Pro would fit the bill but definitely costs significantly >$100

Combining a Tempotec V1 + Sonata BHD could get you closer to the $100 budget but no volume knob

Any particular reason that you're wedded to the idea of having a cheap player with balanced output? Balanced output doesn't automatically confer improved sound over single-ended (the devil is in the implementation details), and there are perfectly decent sounding single-ended players in that price range e.g. Shanling Q1

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2021 at 12:25 AM Post #7,370 of 8,152
I bought F.Audio FA3s and have been using it for about a month. if you have any questions, i can ask. First I will say that planar headphones HE400SE can drive without problems. and, friends, I want to say that one store where i buy this dap(KRHIFI, maybe this NiceHCK store, hm?) threw me for money and that I would not recommend buying this player without a guarantee :/

Thanks for the impressions. Does this hiss with highly sensitive IEMs? And how's the battery life?

Jan 30, 2021 at 12:31 AM Post #7,371 of 8,152
Thanks for the impressions. Does this hiss with highly sensitive IEMs? And how's the battery life?
I have very sensitive balanced armature headphones, with them there is no noise anywhere. autonomy is huge, I see such indicators for the first time. I can say that the stated 20 hours are practically true. There is no heating either. I will try to make a small overview a little later, while asking questions - I will try to answer :)

Jan 30, 2021 at 9:24 AM Post #7,372 of 8,152
Do you heave any idea what power does single ended 3.5 jack have? How's the UI speed? Is there a big lag between browsing trough menu/skipping songs etc. How fast doest it boot up? Thx for answer.

Jan 30, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #7,373 of 8,152
Xuelin iHifi 790, but that's permanently stunted with no memory expansion and only 32GB onboard.

Hidizs AP80 Pro would fit the bill but definitely costs significantly >$100

Combining a Tempotec V1 + Sonata BHD could get you closer to the $100 budget but no volume knob

Any particular reason that you're wedded to the idea of having a cheap player with balanced output? Balanced output doesn't automatically confer improved sound over single-ended (the devil is in the implementation details), and there are perfectly decent sounding single-ended players in that price range e.g. Shanling Q1

Do you have a suggestion for a DAP under $100? I want something warm sounding with a good SQ, a basic display, and good battery life. I don't need a lot of power or balanced output. Bluetooth is not necessary, but it will be a bonus if it has one. It would also be nice if it comes with stable firmware updates (to fix any issues).

I'm leaning towards Fiio M3 Pro, though my first preference is Shanling Q1 because of its impressive battery life & warmer sound (according to many reviewers here). But it is beyond my current budget and I don't know if it is worth $40 more than Fiio M3 pro.

Jan 31, 2021 at 2:46 AM Post #7,374 of 8,152
Do you have a suggestion for a DAP under $100? I want something warm sounding with a good SQ, a basic display, and good battery life. I don't need a lot of power or balanced output. Bluetooth is not necessary, but it will be a bonus if it has one. It would also be nice if it comes with stable firmware updates (to fix any issues).

I'm leaning towards Fiio M3 Pro, though my first preference is Shanling Q1 because of its impressive battery life & warmer sound (according to many reviewers here). But it is beyond my current budget and I don't know if it is worth $40 more than Fiio M3 pro.

I would recommend the Shanling Q1 and would consider it to be worth the price over the M3 Pro. Fiio doesn't seem much interested in updating the firmware of the M3 Pro or fixing its bugs, whereas the Q1 has had a steady stream of firmware updates. The Q1 also has a more unique design, two-way Bluetooth and dedicated control buttons, whereas the M3 Pro only has a play/pause button and volume keys that have to do double duty as forward and back.

Jan 31, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #7,375 of 8,152
I would recommend the Shanling Q1 and would consider it to be worth the price over the M3 Pro. Fiio doesn't seem much interested in updating the firmware of the M3 Pro or fixing its bugs, whereas the Q1 has had a steady stream of firmware updates. The Q1 also has a more unique design, two-way Bluetooth and dedicated control buttons, whereas the M3 Pro only has a play/pause button and volume keys that have to do double duty as forward and back.

Thank you!

Jan 31, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #7,376 of 8,152
iFi iEMatch is Single Ended? Where is it available at a good price? Does it alter the sound?

Intrigued by your words, I opened the MF-01 and tried to install the Burson V5i I have, but it doesn't fit, it touches a screw at the back and doesn't fit. I've tried with another socket, but it's too high and doesn't close. Anyway, I have tried it slightly. My feeling is that it became a bit shiny.
I opted to use the LME49720NA and the LM4562. With the first one I liked it a lot, the sound gains in clarity and it feels more analytical, something I like. With the Muses02, it felt a bit dark and lacking in sparkle. I also tried the LM4562 and it was the one that stayed. Although the LM4562 and the LME49720NA are equivalent or almost the same, I think the LM4562 is a bit smoother, also clearer and analytical, but less harsh.
so I have the following chips to play with:
OPA 1622, NJR Muse02, Sparkos D SS3602, LT1057, NE 5532P, LM 6172, AD825, OPA 2604AP, LM4562, LME 49720NA, OPA 2132U, 827, 49860

But after opening it up I don't feel it's worth it to try and place the Muse02
Below you can see the difference between the space in the MF01 versus my Nuansa P1(not mine in the pic)
The Burson or Sparkos and some others with adapters won't fit in that space

IMG_20210131_1102451.jpg

IMG_20161028_140003.jpg

Jan 31, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #7,377 of 8,152
so I have the following chips to play with:
OPA 1622, NJR Muse02, Sparkos D SS3602, LT1057, NE 5532P, LM 6172, AD825, OPA 2604AP, LM4562, LME 49720NA, OPA 2132U, 827, 49860

But after opening it up I don't feel it's worth it to try and place the Muse02
Below you can see the difference between the space in the MF01 versus my Nuansa P1(not mine in the pic)
The Burson or Sparkos and some others with adapters won't fit in that space

IMG_20210131_1102451.jpg

IMG_20161028_140003.jpg

It's the same as mine and I was able to remove the Muses and put one more socket on top of it, and then I was able to remove the LM4562 and LME 49720NA more easily. I even put an extra socket so I could use the Burson v5i with the lid open... just to test. Finally I left the LM4562.

Feb 1, 2021 at 8:26 AM Post #7,378 of 8,152
It's the same as mine and I was able to remove the Muses and put one more socket on top of it, and then I was able to remove the LM4562 and LME 49720NA more easily. I even put an extra socket so I could use the Burson v5i with the lid open... just to test. Finally I left the LM4562.
what's the sound profile change with the LM4562 versus the Muse02?
Authentic JRC Muses are expensive

Feb 1, 2021 at 10:28 PM Post #7,379 of 8,152
Hello!
I apologize for not answering you for a long time, as I needed a little more preparation before recalling.
Go!
F.Audio FA3s

1) The player turns on quickly, even instantly (3-5 seconds). If you listened to music on it, then when you turn it on, there will be a menu with a choice: continue with this composition or exit the menu.
2) The player with in-ear headphones has no heating at all, cold as ice. If you use magniplanar headphones, the player will already be warm, but not scalding.
3) The player menu is simple, navigation is fast. In general, there is a standard menu like that of cheap Chinese players - you can't watch YouTube from it. There are illogical menu items that I have not quite figured out. Also, for some reason, the item with the choice of filters was taken out to the main settings, although they could have added them to the settings during playback.
4) Firmware glitches - I and my Russian friends do not always play large files. For example, I cannot reproduce one 24/192 kHz album of the Fleetwood Mac, other albums with this resolution are reproduced.
5) Player control - I really liked the fact that you can program the wheel - either as a volume (very convenient) or moving tracks during playback (not very convenient). The buttons are pressed well, but there is one BUT - you cannot control the player when the screen is off! :frowning2: You have to first press once to wake up the player itself, and then a second time to stop the track or select another.
7) SOUND SOUND SOUND. Frankly, I don't really like the DAC in this player, as it delivers calm and without emotional music. I miss the drive and drive in the lows and low-mids.
Now the general opinion on the sound: the player plays smoothly, rather with a slight emphasis on mid and high frequencies. The sound is large-scale, somewhat reminiscent of Technics products, especially musical centers (boomboxes). For those who do not like swotting and prefer calm instrumental music, it will do.
8) Digital filters change the sound by 0.01 percent :) It rather affects not the sound delivery, but rather the scene, its orientation (wider, in front of you). Stock 5 filters + 1 filter that uses the equalizer (greatly spoils the sound and cuts the high frequencies).
9) POWER! This player has very good power output even on unbalanced output. It's so powerful that it can fly my full-size magnetoplanars.
10) As for me, only dynamic headphones or magnetoplanars are good friends with this player, since I did not like the high frequencies on reinforcing headphones, and the bundle itself plays a little dirty.
11) I almost forgot - AUTONOMY! It is very large, very straight. I do not know how they did it, but with such a high output power, the player was made autonomy above 15 hours (honestly, I could not discharge it quickly).

My subjective conclusion is that the player turned out to be interesting, but, as for me, it would need to improve the firmware and add massiveness at low frequencies.

Feb 2, 2021 at 6:01 AM Post #7,380 of 8,152
what's the sound profile change with the LM4562 versus the Muse02?
Authentic JRC Muses are expensive
I like the more analytical sound. I find the sound of the MF-01 with Muse02 to be darker, softer. With the LM4562, I think it becomes more vivid and with more definition. That's my personal opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back