Obscure Chinese DAPs
Jan 22, 2021 at 6:40 AM Post #7,336 of 8,152
hi, nice one, thank you. this has sealed the deal on a purchase. do you own one?
Yes, MF-01 is a really decent player for the asking price. Just be mindful that the output impedance is on the high side so may not suit some multi BA IEM's.

Q-6

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #7,338 of 8,152
what battery life are you getting out of it ?
TBH I've never really thought about it as I have multiple DAP's, I'd day around 6 hours or so, much will depend on the complexity of the music files and what the headgear is. What sold me was the tonality and performance in such a small player.

Q-6

Jan 22, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #7,339 of 8,152
TBH I've never really thought about it as I have multiple DAP's, I'd day around 6 hours or so, much will depend on the complexity of the music files and what the headgear is. What sold me was the tonality and performance in such a small player.

Q-6

hmmm 6 hours is brief but it does look awesome and from what i've read it does sound amazing. thanks for the info

Jan 22, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #7,340 of 8,152
hmmm 6 hours is brief but it does look awesome and from what i've read it does sound amazing. thanks for the info
MF-01 is rated for 6-8 hours, equally the latter is going to be a stretch with MP3 and fairly moderate volume. It's a pretty small device with a fairly strong output.

Q-6

Jan 22, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #7,341 of 8,152
Like @Queen6 I haven’t paid too much attention to battery life on the ACMEE MF01. Maybe it’s the shelter-in-place thing, but I listen at home for 2 or 3 hours at a time - at the longest. I don’t have to charge it after every one of these sessions - more like after 2 or 3 sessions. So I’d say 6-8 hours is a good estimate. It’s fine for me, but I don’t think the reason to purchase this is for some kind of heroic battery life. Also, this thing doesn’t seem like it’s got any sophisticated sleep/wake logic inside, so I always turn it all the way off when I’m not using it.

I did a tiny bit of informal testing with DSD files and high-bitrate FLAC files recently. (The highdeftapetransfers.com site has some albums where if you buy the highest-cost digital, you can download all the other formats also if you like.) Anyway, it did seem like the MF01 got a little bit warmer, and drained the battery a bit faster, when playing DSD or 96k/24bit FLACs. I personally couldn’t detect any difference vs. standard 16 bit FLAC files, BTW, on any of my players or through the several earphones I used.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #7,342 of 8,152
TBH the differences in the bit rates are rather subtle, you need a high-end DAP and headgear to reference any difference, by then you are multitudes the asking price of the MF-01 LOL.

For the asking price the MF-01 is an engaging player that presents an enjoyable musical sound signature, while many a TOTL player will focus more on dissecting the music byte per byte, sometimes to the detriment.

Build quality is solid as are the internals, MF-01 delivers as promised, just be mindful of the output impedance with some headgear.

Q-6

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #7,343 of 8,152
It is good that after more than a year, this DAP (Acmee MF01) is still being talked about.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/acmee-mf-01.23996/reviews#item-review-22790

Which makes me even more interested in their new model MF02. I was told it could be ready for January 2021... January is ending and it's not out yet, we'll have to wait until after the new year...
I just hope it has a lower output impedance...hahaha

Jan 23, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #7,346 of 8,152
i saw a video where someone thought MF01 sounded better after replacing the Muse01 with the BursonVI D. I always thought the Muse were top of the line for small daps.
Anyone try replacing the standard MF01 opamp with something else?
Results?

Jan 25, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #7,348 of 8,152
I use the MF01 with my HD6XX headphones, or an iFi iEMatch with IEMs. I think that addresses the impedance matching issue. I’m an engineer but not an electrical engineer. 😀

iFi iEMatch is Single Ended? Where is it available at a good price? Does it alter the sound?

i saw a video where someone thought MF01 sounded better after replacing the Muse01 with the BursonVI D. I always thought the Muse were top of the line for small daps.
Anyone try replacing the standard MF01 opamp with something else?
Results?

Intrigued by your words, I opened the MF-01 and tried to install the Burson V5i I have, but it doesn't fit, it touches a screw at the back and doesn't fit. I've tried with another socket, but it's too high and doesn't close. Anyway, I have tried it slightly. My feeling is that it became a bit shiny.
I opted to use the LME49720NA and the LM4562. With the first one I liked it a lot, the sound gains in clarity and it feels more analytical, something I like. With the Muses02, it felt a bit dark and lacking in sparkle. I also tried the LM4562 and it was the one that stayed. Although the LM4562 and the LME49720NA are equivalent or almost the same, I think the LM4562 is a bit smoother, also clearer and analytical, but less harsh.

Jan 25, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #7,349 of 8,152
iFi iEMatch is Single Ended? Where is it available at a good price? Does it alter the sound?

Intrigued by your words, I opened the MF-01 and tried to install the Burson V5i I have, but it doesn't fit, it touches a screw at the back and doesn't fit. I've tried with another socket, but it's too high and doesn't close. Anyway, I have tried it slightly. My feeling is that it became a bit shiny.
I opted to use the LME49720NA and the LM4562. With the first one I liked it a lot, the sound gains in clarity and it feels more analytical, something I like. With the Muses02, it felt a bit dark and lacking in sparkle. I also tried the LM4562 and it was the one that stayed. Although the LM4562 and the LME49720NA are equivalent or almost the same, I think the LM4562 is a bit smoother, also clearer and analytical, but less harsh.
@cqtek The iEMatch is about $50 on Amazon. The very similar iFi EarBuddy is about $20. The iFi web site has a lot of what strikes me as blather, but I think these are essentially resister networks to cause attenuation of the signal. The more expensive one is metal instead of plastic, lets you choose between 2 levels of attenuation, and comes in 3.5 and 2.5mm versions. I originally purchased this because I listen at very low volumes and wanted to be able to use more than the first 10% of the volume knob rotation.

I think the problem is that headphones don't present a constant impedance to the amplifier output, but one that varies with frequency of the music - and maybe with how much current is being drawn? As long as the iEMatch has a constant resistance (constant impedance), which I think it does, it shouldn't alter the sound beyond attenuation of the volume. What I'm hoping is that it makes the ratio of impedances between amp and IEM where people say it should be. I'm not an electrical engineer, so I'm a bit fuzzy on the input/output impedance thing though. (My dad was an electrical engineer who knew a lot about amplifiers and signal processing. I wish he was still around to help me with this!)

Jan 26, 2021 at 2:59 AM Post #7,350 of 8,152
@cqtek The iEMatch is about $50 on Amazon. The very similar iFi EarBuddy is about $20. The iFi web site has a lot of what strikes me as blather, but I think these are essentially resister networks to cause attenuation of the signal. The more expensive one is metal instead of plastic, lets you choose between 2 levels of attenuation, and comes in 3.5 and 2.5mm versions. I originally purchased this because I listen at very low volumes and wanted to be able to use more than the first 10% of the volume knob rotation.

I think the problem is that headphones don't present a constant impedance to the amplifier output, but one that varies with frequency of the music - and maybe with how much current is being drawn? As long as the iEMatch has a constant resistance (constant impedance), which I think it does, it shouldn't alter the sound beyond attenuation of the volume. What I'm hoping is that it makes the ratio of impedances between amp and IEM where people say it should be. I'm not an electrical engineer, so I'm a bit fuzzy on the input/output impedance thing though. (My dad was an electrical engineer who knew a lot about amplifiers and signal processing. I wish he was still around to help me with this!)

Thank you very much for your clarification.
I'm an industrial technical engineer in industrial electronics.
But really, I have never worked as an electronics. Since the final project of my degree, I dedicated myself to the programming of machine vision systems and I've been doing it for more than 20 years.
The knowledge of electronics is in my memory... hahaha....
Impedance is a resistance measured at a specific frequency. It is clear that such resistance can vary with frequency and it seems that it is more sensitive to do so in IEMS with BA. Or at least, it seems that DDs are more stable against sources with high output impedance.

https://www.headphonesty.com/2019/04/headphone-impedance-demystified/

From what I read in the IEMatch specs:
For the technically-inclined, High-sensitivity and Ultra-sensitivity reduce gain by -12dB and -24dB respectively.
That means there is a strong reduction in power is that so?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back