Obscure Chinese DAPs
Jan 14, 2021 at 7:06 AM Post #7,322 of 8,152
F.Audio FA3S
And now I have both FA3 and FA3S, ready to be compared.
I tell the differences I found... The earphone is same, the good NiceHCK M6 (2dd, 4ba)

Volume: to achieve same sound level the FA3S requires higher volume set up, if FA3 is at 50 the FA3S requires 60, then power output is same, very high. It results in a better volume control, anyway above 80-85 it gets unbearable, "later" than FA3.

Digital filter: Both AKm and Cirrus dac have six setups but on FA3... cannot be changed! On FA3S while playing there is a short sound drop when changing the filter, that doesn't happen on FA3. Maybe a firmware iissue on FA3. On FA3S the different settings have very little effect, except the last one (low dispersion) that cuts a lot the highs. I can't tell how "low dispersion" affects the FA3 AK dac, as told... and I can't tell which set-up FA3 has been fixed to, I guess the first (sharp roll-off)
After various tries I choose the n.4 (short delay slow roll-off) but if someone secretely changes it, except the low dispersion, the day after I think I would not notice...

Battery life: I noticed the FA3S does not heats up as the FA3, it remain always cool despite being, like FA3, in Class A. FA3 lasts about 7h 30min, FA3S lasts about 20h 30min. Very good! It seem the new circuitry layout is more efficient (FA3 - single dac AKm 4497 / FA3S - double dac CS43198)

Sound: Not huge difference, everything is "a bit" FA3 has more rumbly bass, FA3S goes deeper sub-bass. FA3 mids highs smoothly warmer, FA3S highs more opened and sparkling, more detailed and analytical.

I like them both, soundwise I would not know which one to grab. Summing, the pros of one vs. the other...

FA3 vs FA3S:
- Velvet sound (as per its dac AKm 4497)
FA3S vs FA3:
- Clear neutral sound, deeper sub-bass (though bass roll-off is still present, bass amount is about the same)
- Better volume control
- Battery life, the greater upgrade
- and about 40 $ cheaper

So, overall, the FA3S is an improved product over the FA3, at a lower price (even if the FLODER view typo in the main menu is still here...:)))

Jan 14, 2021 at 7:33 AM Post #7,323 of 8,152
F.Audio FA3S
And now I have both FA3 and FA3S, ready to be compared.
I tell the differences I found... The earphone is same, the good NiceHCK M6 (2dd, 4ba)

Volume: to achieve same sound level the FA3S requires higher volume set up, if FA3 is at 50 the FA3S requires 60, then power output is same, very high. It results in a better volume control, anyway above 80-85 it gets unbearable, "later" than FA3.

Digital filter: Both AKm and Cirrus dac have six setups but on FA3... cannot be changed! On FA3S while playing there is a short sound drop when changing the filter, that doesn't happen on FA3. Maybe a firmware iissue on FA3. On FA3S the different settings have very little effect, except the last one (low dispersion) that cuts a lot the highs. I can't tell how "low dispersion" affects the FA3 AK dac, as told... and I can't tell which set-up FA3 has been fixed to, I guess the first (sharp roll-off)
After various tries I choose the n.4 (short delay slow roll-off) but if someone secretely changes it, except the low dispersion, the day after I think I would not notice...

Battery life: I noticed the FA3S does not heats up as the FA3, it remain always cool despite being, like FA3, in Class A. FA3 lasts about 7h 30min, FA3S lasts about 20h 30min. Very good! It seem the new circuitry layout is more efficient (FA3 - single dac AKm 4497 / FA3S - double dac CS43198)

Sound: Not huge difference, everything is "a bit" FA3 has more rumbly bass, FA3S goes deeper sub-bass. FA3 mids highs smoothly warmer, FA3S highs more opened and sparkling, more detailed and analytical.

I like them both, soundwise I would not know which one to grab. Summing, the pros of one vs. the other...

FA3 vs FA3S:
- Velvet sound (as per its dac AKm 4497)
FA3S vs FA3:
- Clear neutral sound, deeper sub-bass (though bass roll-off is still present, bass amount is about the same)
- Better volume control
- Battery life, the greater upgrade
- and about 40 $ cheaper

So, overall, the FA3S is an improved product over the FA3, at a lower price (even if the FLODER view typo in the main menu is still here...:)))
Tha k's I have been wanting to understand the difference, think maybe later this year, I might give it a try, can anyone say how bass roll off is compared to the Zishan dsd or dsds

Jan 15, 2021 at 1:09 AM Post #7,324 of 8,152
My friends, any bugdet mp3 player with bluetooth for pairing with tws? I have been looking goods from Benjie and Ruizu, and I have no clear if they are working fine in that way. Thanks in advance.

Jan 15, 2021 at 2:37 AM Post #7,325 of 8,152
My friends, any bugdet mp3 player with bluetooth for pairing with tws? I have been looking goods from Benjie and Ruizu, and I have no clear if they are working fine in that way. Thanks in advance.

Tempotec V1A?

Jan 15, 2021 at 8:55 AM Post #7,327 of 8,152
I was thinking in players lower in price. It's just for my ride to work free of wires. I already have hi-res portable gear for wired earphones. So I thought in something cheaper. Thank you.

The issue with Benjie, Ruizu et al. is that the Bluetooth function may not necessarily be very well implemented, which is going to suck for TWS. The Hiby R2 is the most affordable Bluetooth-equipped DAP from a reputable brand that I know of, maybe you could look into that

Edit: I'd forgotten about the JWD JWM-115. Bi-directional Bluetooth for $70 and fairly well reviewed too - this might fit the bill.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #7,329 of 8,152
For those who are not familiar with the company, Shanling is a HI-FI equipment designer and manufacturer (CD players, amps) based in Shenzhen, China.

But Shanling is hardly obscure though. Premium quality, really nice looks and stylish design, especially the tube amps. Pricey but their competitors in the esoteric audio realm cost even more. Stuff like Mark Levinson and Moon by Sim for example, which cater almost exclusively to the wealthy audiophile. Lesser schmucks like me could never afford those but Shanling, maybe.

Jan 18, 2021 at 8:15 AM Post #7,330 of 8,152
I can always predict when it will happen. It happens when you change it to and English language then either reboot or power on/off the device.

Which Tempotec do you have? I still mainly use either my Fiio M5 or Shanling M0 as they sound better than this M200.....
Hi! I just discoveres this amazing site!
I bought about 2 months ago the yescool m200 from a seller on aliexpress and as my friend wanted to update the firmware and that it shouldn't have wifi it stopped working and it doesn't response by power button. So he told me that if i could give him the original firmware he could fix it. but he tried to download some mtk firmwares but they didn't match correctly so i'm trying right now to get the original firmware. So i thought maybe someone that has it could pull it from his device with a tool and then send or post it. and a secont idea i had that they first sold the m200 with an older firmware (like in your video it's still the old one) and then they released a new firmware so maybe someone got it then and still has the files.
I will be very grateful for everyone that could help me to find the needed firmware!

Jan 18, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #7,331 of 8,152
regarding the walnut player and zishans. They have a private facebook user group primarily based out of the phillipines. Lots of good hacks

I bought this tiny DAP over christmas as an impulse but something to replace my M0
Been pleasantly surprised with the sound and size. Bought the non-bluetooth version for $79.
some pro reviewer here should review one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TWQZY45/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&ps

1609765963147.png

1609766021253.png

1609766067321.png

1609766112351.png

The more I listen to this device the more I am convincing myself that it sounds as good as the other bigger simple chifi DAPs I have like the Zishan, Tempotec V1A, and others.
The earphone plug's uncomfortably tight but for something this small the sound seems as good as my shanling M0 with a better UI.
I'm no audiophile but this little guy has impressed me as a go anywhere device

Jan 22, 2021 at 6:07 AM Post #7,334 of 8,152

Users who are viewing this thread

Back