Obscure Chinese DAPs
Nov 13, 2020 at 1:23 AM Post #7,276 of 8,129
Any extreme deals? I haven't bought anything this 11.11, none of the deals seemed that awesome, shipping is atleast 3 months, but was wondering if I missed anything

I saw the Shanling Q1 at $86 USD after coupon gymnastics at Aliexpress. It is my daily beater DAP. Would have gotten it if I didn't already buy one in june.

Saw the Cowon plenue V DAP at $140ish after coupons (with a leather case that usually goes for $30ish USD). Seems it has no BT and other frills, plus the memory card is a bit limited. Decided to give it a miss.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2020 at 1:53 AM Post #7,277 of 8,129
I saw the Shanling Q1 at $86 USD after coupon gymnastics at Aliexpress. It is my daily beater DAP. Would have gotten it if I didn't already buy one in june.

Saw the Cowon plenue V DAP at $140ish after coupons (with a leather case that usually goes for $30ish USD). Seems it has no BT and other frills, plus the memory card is a bit limited. Decided to give it a miss.
Thanks, plenue v actually looks interesting (I don't use Bluetooth, WiFi, Internet, don't want to carry powerbanks, and hate it when battery runs out ) I will check it out thanks

Nov 13, 2020 at 2:31 AM Post #7,278 of 8,129
Thanks, plenue v actually looks interesting (I don't use Bluetooth, WiFi, Internet, don't want to carry powerbanks, and hate it when battery runs out ) I will check it out thanks

It has a reported 41 hour battery life apparently!

Nov 13, 2020 at 3:49 AM Post #7,279 of 8,129
It has a reported 41 hour battery life apparently!
Thanks, did a little research, but guess I will wait and see next year, 1.7 volts is a bit low, going to need a bit more for most of my gear (300-600 ohm) was hoping for some good deals on something in the chi fi but dont feel like another zishan. I wonder if anything new will come out next year, maybe in the $100-200 range that might have physical buttons and push at least 2-3 volts

Maybe get a stronger amp and try a small source, but last time I did that, it was a bit uncomfortable (connectors, rubber bands and the knob on my amp kept rubbing and turning itself up or down)

Seems most players these days are made for high sensitivity iems and Bluetooth

Not many players push cans or high impedance earbuds these days
The ones that can drive them seem to be jumping up in price
I keep wishing ibasso will release something with a replaceable battery and 3 volt PO under $500.......

Nov 13, 2020 at 3:51 AM Post #7,280 of 8,129
Thanks, did a little research, but guess I will wait and see next year, 1.7 volts is a bit low, going to need a bit more for most of my gear (300-600 ohm) was hoping for some good deals on something in the chi fi but dont feel like another zishan. I wonder if anything new will come out next year, maybe in the $100-200 range that might have physical buttons and push at least 2-3 volts

Maybe get a stronger amp and try a small source, but last time I did that, it was a bit uncomfortable (connectors, rubber bands and the knob on my amp kept rubbing and turning itself up or down)

Seems most players these days are made for high sensitivity iems and Bluetooth

Not many players push cans or high impedance earbuds these days
The ones that can drive them seem to be jumping up in price
I keep wishing ibasso will release something with a replaceable battery and 3 volt PO under $500.......

Agreed, I am actually looking for something like what u said. If u do find this magical unicorn at the sub $200 range let us know!!!

Nov 13, 2020 at 4:19 AM Post #7,281 of 8,129
I've been using my Maozu player while exercising on the rowing machine. Has a nice heft to it so it works well - and it takes micro SDHC and has a shuffle. I'm assuming it's made in China or Taiwan, but could not find out for sure.

Another two I really like are my Tecsun micro SDHC players - ICR-110 and ICR-100. Both of these shine when using their passive radiator speakers. Along with mp3 playback, the 110 has AM and FM, 100 is FM only.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2020 at 4:51 AM Post #7,283 of 8,129
Agreed, I am actually looking for something like what u said. If u do find this magical unicorn at the sub $200 range let us know!!!
Yeah it's too bad most manufacturers went the apple way (planned obsolescence, small batteries, low power and higher prices) I used to be willing to pay $400-500 for a good DAP, now I crawl through different hifi forums, searching for good diy players, zishan are a lot of fun but take a bit of work to mod.
The acmee looks cool, heard the battery is easily replaced
I had a fiio x1 ii..... Never touching another fiio product again (no customer service, no updates, fiio doesn't seem to really care much about there customers
Shanling seems like a decent company but battery is more difficult to replace.
Ibasso are awesome but for that price I want a replacement battery (working 8-13 hours is horrible when the players only last 6 hours)
And adding a power bank to my belt is just not an option
The only dac with the option to replace the battery is almost $800
And none of those options have buttons, so if I drop them and screen breaks I am screwed
Atleast the Zishan are cheap, easily modded and I added a 18650 battery holder to one (goes 13 hours, with planar plugged in at 80 percent volume) I have dropped them, broke them, fixed them and modded them, they have served valiantly.......
But, I want to try something with a better menu..
It would be cool if it could be rockboxed..

Nov 21, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #7,285 of 8,129
I already owned F. Audio FA3s (Dual CS43198) link: https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.1-c.w4004-21198079921.6.747c1919PSVTUA&id=620341423086

I want to try out some full size headphones, therefore i'm going to buy an amplifier like F. Audio AM01, link: https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.1-c.w4004-21198079921.4.747c1919dM8cN4&id=620670539332

OR

Buy their DAC/AMP AM01D, link: https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.1-c.w4004-21198079921.2.747c1919PSVTUA&id=629128118058

Does FA3S + AM01(Pure amplifier) and FA3S(Like a source) + AM01D (DAC/AMP) have the same sound quality? Please help :). Thanks

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #7,286 of 8,129
Nov 29, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #7,287 of 8,129
New Firmware for Acmee MF-01 VER 2.1.6.B

V2.1.6.B modification description:
1. Add M4A decoding support
2. Fix the problem of popping sound at the end of some DSF files...

http://www.acmee.cn/index.php?s=index/show/index&id=606

http://www.acmee.cn/uploads/file/20201124/1606189222872965.zip
Thanks for spotting this. Best new feature for me - they up finally fixed the typos in the menu. It used to say “Scaning music” in a few places; now they corrected that spelling. It’s the little things in life!

Nov 30, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #7,289 of 8,129
About F.Audio Xs-03... a bad experience! I bought one months ago, I wanted to open it to look inside, but when I put the motherboard back into the chassis I pressed and bent it a little and no more sound from both outputs, SE and balanced.

Damn... thinking I broke it and being my fault I ordered a second Xs-03, because I liked it before "killing" it.
But while waiting the second unit I casually "resurrected" the first touching the output relays with a magnetized screwdriver (two white boxes near the earphone jacks) and too late to cancel the order of the second Xs-03...

However the "repaired" Xs-03 is unstable, when turn on and off it makes a loud bump and only one channel works, touching the dap close to phone jacks with a metal object makes both channels playing, and it sounds normally, until next off/on or even pause/play, weird... then I wanted to step up and ordered the F.Audio FA3

In the meantime, the second Xs-03 arrived and I stored it away without open the package, and later I gifted it to a friend, I will carry on with the first one waiting for the FA3 (flawless...)

Few days later the friend call me and...
Well, I love the sound but... But what??
Take it and listen... one channel makes a noise similar to.pink noise that slowly increases and ends with loud pops, after a while it returns... omg!

From both outputs. Not sure, but it seem related once again to the output relays (if I touch there with the "usual" magnetized screwdriver it seem to "clean" off the affected channel, but for a while...) Maybe a batch of defective relays? I wonder how many Xs-03 are around with those defective components, I think now the first Xs-03 faulted not because of handling when I opened it.

Being a bit crazy, I ordered the FA3S...
for 108 € on black friday it seemed a good deal to have a spare dap.
well, I just need the Xs-02, the FA1 and FA2 to complete my F.Audio collection😂

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back