Obscure Chinese DAPs
Jan 8, 2020 at 3:13 AM Post #6,931 of 8,158
The Ziku HD X9 is my daily DAP due to the great battery life (> 20 hours) and sturdy build. Can't complain much about the sound for the cheap price, I don't leave home without it nowadays.
I have to say though, I've auditioned other DAPs with better sound quality and better noise to signal ratio, but I opted for the better battery life of the X9 as I don't have readily accessible charging areas as I travel a lot.

I have the M40X and it is very easy to drive, even a low end smartphone can drive it, so maybe it's not a fair gauge of the X9's abilities. I've tried driving higher impedance cans and earbuds thru the X9, honestly X9 may not be the best option for higher impedance stuff. The successor of the X9, the X10, has supposedly an op amp and better sound, though the battery life is like 5 - 6 hours according to some headfiers.
easy to drive yes but i realy don`t think a smartphone can drive it LOUD and CLEAR like that.on my sister`s xiaomi redmi note 8 the m40x just sound quiet and narow unlike with ziku ,but i repeat,with the rock eq presset activated is what works for me...and yes the batery life is divine!
it sounns at least better than my xduoo x2 wich is an amazing dap only zishan is left to compete at this price range of 30 to 50 in my opinion.sory for the hype guys it s just propably my first contact with ``audiophile`` sound that is.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2020 at 12:01 AM Post #6,933 of 8,158
I just got my Walnut V2S after owning a standard Walnut and I have to say I'm pretty unimpressed :frowning2:

Not with the sound quality! But the implementation of all the features. Why does a asian voice try to tell me in English what the various button presses do?! Next, Previous, Rock, Jazz, Shuffle etc, urgh. It's made worse by interrupting the song and actually just starting the song from the beginning whenever changing an EQ or Mode change! How am I supposed to tell the difference in the sound signature easily if it resets it each time... urgh.

The worse feature of all, powering down the player and the player does not recall last place when turning back on again! That was the best feature the original Walnut had! Urgh... such a shame.

I'm pairing the Walnut with the M-Audio Bass amp, using Classical its a wonderful mode, I can leave the Bass at 1, and either reduce bass (0) or increase it more (2). But I dunno... this non resume is a bit of a deal breaker. I guess I could pause the player for prolonged periods...

I wish there was a way to hack it somehow so these voice overs and resuming to the beginning of the track would go away.

Jan 9, 2020 at 3:08 AM Post #6,934 of 8,158
I just got my Walnut V2S after owning a standard Walnut and I have to say I'm pretty unimpressed :frowning2:

Not with the sound quality! But the implementation of all the features. Why does a asian voice try to tell me in English what the various button presses do?! Next, Previous, Rock, Jazz, Shuffle etc, urgh. It's made worse by interrupting the song and actually just starting the song from the beginning whenever changing an EQ or Mode change! How am I supposed to tell the difference in the sound signature easily if it resets it each time... urgh.

The worse feature of all, powering down the player and the player does not recall last place when turning back on again! That was the best feature the original Walnut had! Urgh... such a shame.

I'm pairing the Walnut with the M-Audio Bass amp, using Classical its a wonderful mode, I can leave the Bass at 1, and either reduce bass (0) or increase it more (2). But I dunno... this non resume is a bit of a deal breaker. I guess I could pause the player for prolonged periods...

I wish there was a way to hack it somehow so these voice overs and resuming to the beginning of the track would go away.
We've been fooled into buying these crappy Zishan and Walnut music players. They're junk. Even a Benjie S5 is better.

I've bought a number of both brands (not DSD). This isn't 2018, we need to stay from brands like those.

I refuse to opamp roll. When a player is made it's made to be good... except those brands. The Walnut with a non removable opamp is good but I'd rather stick to a player with a screen.

Jan 9, 2020 at 3:39 AM Post #6,935 of 8,158
We've been fooled into buying these crappy Zishan and Walnut music players. They're junk. Even a Benjie S5 is better.

I've bought a number of both brands (not DSD). This isn't 2018, we need to stay from brands like those.

I refuse to opamp roll. When a player is made it's made to be good... except those brands. The Walnut with a non removable opamp is good but I'd rather stick to a player with a screen.

Just to be clear there are some aspects of the Walnut I like.

1) Power, for the price it can play my files (without amp) to decent volumes. They really shine with an amp.
2) Simplicity and speed. I utterly loved the original Walnuts resume capability, I have no idea with the V2 why they walked away from that
3) Sound Quality is fine, and this is coming from a Cowon, Shozy, Hidiz user.

My gripe is with this V2 they took away the good parts of the original, added new features that should in theory be great, but man they could not have implemented them any worse!

These days I interact with music quite differently. I often sit down and make a playlist of sorts in foobar in the morning, crossfaded and merged into a single WAV file. The original Walnut was great in that it was small, powerful and would pick up where you left off, great for car use etc. I'm gutted they removed that resume feature!

Jan 9, 2020 at 3:54 AM Post #6,936 of 8,158

Hi what do you like better than the Bennie s5?
I have had one for a while but I think my old iPhone SE sounds better so I bought on AliExpress a Zishan with the ak4493 chip. The Bennie s5 is ok. I would totally use the iPhone SE if it had a file browser mode. Oh well
Now I’m worried about the zishan though

Jan 9, 2020 at 7:33 AM Post #6,937 of 8,158
Just to be clear there are some aspects of the Walnut I like.

1) Power, for the price it can play my files (without amp) to decent volumes. They really shine with an amp.
2) Simplicity and speed. I utterly loved the original Walnuts resume capability, I have no idea with the V2 why they walked away from that
3) Sound Quality is fine, and this is coming from a Cowon, Shozy, Hidiz user.

My gripe is with this V2 they took away the good parts of the original, added new features that should in theory be great, but man they could not have implemented them any worse!

These days I interact with music quite differently. I often sit down and make a playlist of sorts in foobar in the morning, crossfaded and merged into a single WAV file. The original Walnut was great in that it was small, powerful and would pick up where you left off, great for car use etc. I'm gutted they removed that resume feature!
Zishan z2 has a resume feature and no annoying voices. But power output is not as crazy loud and sound is more neutral, less warm.

Jan 9, 2020 at 7:57 AM Post #6,938 of 8,158
Just out of interest, regarding the Tempotec V1-A, should I be able to access all of the setting through the HiBy link app? I only ever get a couple once it's connected to the V1, all the rest are grayed out. I asked Temptec support and they just vaguely said that it's just the way it is.

Jan 9, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #6,939 of 8,158
Zishan z2 has a resume feature and no annoying voices. But power output is not as crazy loud and sound is more neutral, less warm.

Z2 looks like Walnut V2 (which I have), whereas the V2S has the additional power and EQ and Mode buttons.

I'll put up with the annoying voices and lack of resume, its just a shame they ruined the original so bad. What's wrong with just using an LED to show the different sound setting (different colours), no pausing between button presses, no restarting the song from the beginning when you change a mode or EQ. Just awful, could not have been implemented worse...

Jan 9, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #6,940 of 8,158
Hi what do you like better than the Bennie s5?
I have had one for a while but I think my old iPhone SE sounds better so I bought on AliExpress a Zishan with the ak4493 chip. The Bennie s5 is ok. I would totally use the iPhone SE if it had a file browser mode. Oh well
Now I’m worried about the zishan though
I like the simplicity and the sound of the S5. Of course if you have an iPhone you wouldn't buy a Benjie. A S5 is more for someone who likes jogging.

I dont know what the v2 Z3 sounds like vs the S5 but it's probably better. I found my Z3 v1 lifeless and it was my first dap to break easily. My S5 lasted more than a year. The Z3, nope.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #6,943 of 8,158
JWD JWM-115:

It's a good device, with a solid construction. The screen looks great, with a good size, brightness and colors. The handling is very stable, but not as gestural as one would like. 32 volume steps. Very low output impedance (under 1 Ohm) and a fairly flat response. Not much power, approximately 30mW at 16 Ohms. Comparatively speaking, it is more powerful than the RUIZU A50 or the AGPTEK IMP. Suitable for IEMS and low impedance earbuds. Very good device for use with Bluetooth headphones.

The sound is comparable to the Tempotec Variations V1-A.

My output voltage measurements:

No-Load 0.679V
32 Ohms 0.674V
100 Ohms 0.677V
240 Ohms 0.678V
320 Ohms 0.679V

Thank you very much. i have been looking for a good review. Is the touch screen fluent as on the tempotec?
again thanks alot for your impressions.

Jan 14, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #6,945 of 8,158
Hello!
Only today did I receive Ziku HD-X9.

Overall, I'm pretty satisfied. The device does feel a bit clunky, but SQ is great (coming from Sansa Clip+).
It's lively, detailed and pleasing to my ears. Soundstage is definitely improved.

The only issue I'm having is: it seems to recognize only 4000 (exact number) songs from ~5900 that I have.
SD card is fine, formatted to FAT32, worked flawlessly in my Clip.

I guess it's a firmware limitation. Does anyone have any clue how can I bypass it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back