Obscure Chinese DAPs
Nov 22, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #6,829 of 8,121
Tempotec V1-A - 81x45x12.7mm
Hiby R3 - 82x61x13mm

good one!

I have both as do many here
the R3 is a better device but more expensive with better support ( i was part of the crowdfunding campaign)
Other than sound if that's important which the R3 wins the biggest differentiators are: (IMHO)

Tempotec V1A- 2 card slots up to 1Tb each, slim profile,
Hiby R3 - DAC capabilities, Android-like capabilty to use apps like tidal/qobuz/spotify with offline download capability, MESB eq, Hiby Link

The Acmee MF01 or ZIKU HD-10 are probably better built/sounding devices than the Tempotec V1A around the same price but with much less features

I use my R3 connected to my 9038S USB stick to drive my P1s and other buds than need horsepower.
It's a slick portable setup that can drive just about any set of head/ear phones

Nov 22, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #6,830 of 8,121
good one!

I have both as do many here
the R3 is a better device but more expensive with better support ( i was part of the crowdfunding campaign)
Other than sound if that's important which the R3 wins the biggest differentiators are: (IMHO)

Tempotec V1A- 2 card slots up to 1Tb each, slim profile,
Hiby R3 - DAC capabilities, Android-like capabilty to use apps like tidal/qobuz/spotify with offline download capability, MESB eq, Hiby Link

The Acmee MF01 or ZIKU HD-10 are probably better built/sounding devices than the Tempotec V1A around the same price but with much less features

I use my R3 connected to my 9038S USB stick to drive my P1s and other buds than need horsepower.
It's a slick portable setup that can drive just about any set of head/ear phones

Thank you ...

Nov 22, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #6,831 of 8,121
Nov 23, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #6,832 of 8,121
In the end I'll have to keep my mouth shut when it comes to criticizing F.Audio FA3. Lately it's being the player I'm using the most, along with ACMEE MF-01, looking for the best synergy with my collection of IEMs and playing with the characteristics of each one. Both the NF AUDIO NA1 and NS Audio NS5MKII Bass sound fantastic with both DAPS. But the greater analytical capacity, refinement, resolution, clarity, even smoothness in its highs, scene and separation, of the FA3, makes me decide for it. F.Audio, why did you forget the bass in your DAPS? I can no longer deny it, and although I will never analyze it for a matter of principle, I don't consider Hi-Fi an amplifier/player that doesn't respect the original wave (flat response), possibly the best player I have, but also the most expensive.
:zipper_mouth::zipper_mouth::zipper_mouth:

Nov 24, 2019 at 9:04 AM Post #6,833 of 8,121
So I finally gave my MF-01 a listen. It sounds great! I briefly A/B compared it to my hifiman using my amp's input switch (one dap connected via rca and the other via aux), and so far, to my surprise, I haven't heard a difference. But it's too soon to conclude they sound the same. I'll have to do the same test with the xduoo x2 that I've given to a friend. I could have sworn I heard a difference with that, but that was before I had an audio switch or an amp with one.

Note about the mf-01: when lining out to an amp, the mf01's volume wheel still functions. But I think with line-out it's passive volume. To match the volume of my other dap (with both lined out to the amp), I had to turn the mf01's volume up to 95%.

Anyway, the mf-01 will be great once it has working folders (hopefully in the next firmware version).

Nov 24, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #6,834 of 8,121
So I finally gave my MF-01 a listen. It sounds great! I briefly A/B compared it to my hifiman using my amp's input switch (one dap connected via rca and the other via aux), and so far, to my surprise, I haven't heard a difference. But it's too soon to conclude they sound the same. I'll have to do the same test with the xduoo x2 that I've given to a friend. I could have sworn I heard a difference with that, but that was before I had an audio switch or an amp with one.

Note about the mf-01: when lining out to an amp, the mf01's volume wheel still functions. But I think with line-out it's passive volume. To match the volume of my other dap (with both lined out to the amp), I had to turn the mf01's volume up to 95%.

Anyway, the mf-01 will be great once it has working folders (hopefully in the next firmware version).

I hope they get that new firmware out. Also, it is a pity that the line output is not fixed. It's something I prefer, but maybe it's more versatile than being variable, for use as a pre-amplifier...

Nov 24, 2019 at 8:47 PM Post #6,835 of 8,121
i guess you could say I've committed to these two obscure daps (Walnut V2s/Zishan Z3 AK4493)
bought 8 of each to give away as musical christmas presents
each one to include:

an op amp upgrade
new red/brown/black faux leather skin
Ty Hy-Z 150Pro or modded Koss KSC75 buds
pre-loaded micro SD with holiday music and other chesky HD albums​

for family and friends as an intro to inexpensive higher quality sound

1124191501_resized.jpg
75226326_926902211014979_1724829763375202304_n.jpg
75362459_585422825534022_217843163614674944_o.jpg

Nov 25, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #6,836 of 8,121
In the end I'll have to keep my mouth shut when it comes to criticizing F.Audio FA3. Lately it's being the player I'm using the most, along with ACMEE MF-01, looking for the best synergy with my collection of IEMs and playing with the characteristics of each one. Both the NF AUDIO NA1 and NS Audio NS5MKII Bass sound fantastic with both DAPS. But the greater analytical capacity, refinement, resolution, clarity, even smoothness in its highs, scene and separation, of the FA3, makes me decide for it. F.Audio, why did you forget the bass in your DAPS? I can no longer deny it, and although I will never analyze it for a matter of principle, I don't consider Hi-Fi an amplifier/player that doesn't respect the original wave (flat response), possibly the best player I have, but also the most expensive.
:zipper_mouth::zipper_mouth::zipper_mouth:

The bass cut off is possibly related to the HPF of the amplifying circuit output. Can I have a photo of the FA3 PCB? There are two or four yellow chip capacitors around the OPA1612. If they can be increased (e. g. from 10uF to 100uF), bass will be extended towards the lowest frequency. Extra 3 - 4 dB can be given on 20 Hz. But the component pitch may be too small and a hot gun is required for such a mod.

Nov 25, 2019 at 12:42 PM Post #6,837 of 8,121
The bass cut off is possibly related to the HPF of the amplifying circuit output. Can I have a photo of the FA3 PCB? There are two or four yellow chip capacitors around the OPA1612. If they can be increased (e. g. from 10uF to 100uF), bass will be extended towards the lowest frequency. Extra 3 - 4 dB can be given on 20 Hz. But the component pitch may be too small and a hot gun is required for such a mod.

Thank you for your answer. I tried to change the capacitors for others of greater capacity, in the Zishan T1. I bought some that were recommended here. But when I soldered the parts I couldn't close the module. I had to resolder the old capacitors again. In addition, they are surface welded. From what I have seen in the XS03, these capacitors are smaller and are SMD, it will be even more complex to do so. I decided not to modify anything since I am not an expert soldering, even though in the job we have tools to do it.

Nov 25, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #6,838 of 8,121
Thank you for your answer. I tried to change the capacitors for others of greater capacity, in the Zishan T1. I bought some that were recommended here. But when I soldered the parts I couldn't close the module. I had to resolder the old capacitors again. In addition, they are surface welded. From what I have seen in the XS03, these capacitors are smaller and are SMD, it will be even more complex to do so. I decided not to modify anything since I am not an expert soldering, even though in the job we have tools to do it.

Do you know if all of the F.audio players have this bass roll-off?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back