Obscure Chinese DAPs
Jun 1, 2019 at 1:49 AM Post #6,031 of 8,150
Has anyone got F.Audio FA2 and XS03 yet?? AK4497EQ and AK4493EQ look promising. I'm looking for something musical and easy to use dap. Currently own Shanling M2s but I feel it's time to move to another dap. I have my eyes on Shanling M2x, Cowon Plenue D2 and iBasso DX120. But f.audio offerings are interesting too.

Jun 1, 2019 at 2:10 AM Post #6,033 of 8,150
Has anyone got F.Audio FA2 and XS03 yet?? AK4497EQ and AK4493EQ look promising. I'm looking for something musical and easy to use dap. Currently own Shanling M2s but I feel it's time to move to another dap. I have my eyes on Shanling M2x, Cowon Plenue D2 and iBasso DX120. But f.audio offerings are interesting too.
just ordered Xs03 ill let you know how it sounds when i get it, but hearing from Zishan z3 (Ak4993) i hear a black brown background with clarity and thin highs. Whatever you do don't get xs02 as its dac's are locked down and never change sound.

Jun 1, 2019 at 3:21 AM Post #6,034 of 8,150
just ordered Xs03 ill let you know how it sounds when i get it, but hearing from Zishan z3 (Ak4993) i hear a black brown background with clarity and thin highs. Whatever you do don't get xs02 as its dac's are locked down and never change sound.

The XS03 with DUAL Ak4493 at little over 100 bucks looks like a GREAT deal! I’m curious about that one too. I’m looking forward to your input.

Didn’t know that about the “fixed sound” xs02 but stayed away from the FA1 because of the rumored “fixed” clicking sound that cannot be remedied!

Ima gonna give F.Audio a shot, hoping that they take Customer feedback seriously enough to make huge strides forward. It’s seems that they have and have made same major improvements to former models but time will tell...

I’m hoping that the FA2 (and the even the Xo3) have diyer high ceiling potential to be great sounding with some modifications to make them a special as the Zishan line Dacs! (Fingers cross)

(Sidenote: I know what you mean about the fixed sound even if they allow to op amp roll. I’ve worked on Zishans and they do hit a ceiling as far as you can take them when it comes to improving the fake components problems. My theory is that they are ‘fixed’ by the fine tuning adjustments in how the stock components correspond with the rest of the boards and even the firmware.)

As a hobbyist that’s one of the hopes is the get to point where it’s not just switching parts fro better ones in these cheap Chinese daps but to understand how the grasp daps wholistically with experience in how to measure things like current, voltage, resistance, diodes, etc. and how the relate to the specific dacs

You know like every subtopic has its own ecosystem like caps. But what often happens Is that “theories” in different caps for specific functions don’t always work out for the best or not know which to use can be detrimental to modding. It’s extremely frustrating but gratifying at the same time haha.

Jun 1, 2019 at 5:00 AM Post #6,035 of 8,150
Thats great..will be waiting for your impressions.

Jun 1, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #6,036 of 8,150
Jun 2, 2019 at 9:28 AM Post #6,037 of 8,150
I know there is a "help" section but I think the majority of those who could help with this question reside in this thread :blush:

I am looking for a small dap, around 50€ although the budget is not set in stone, that I plan to leave installed in my roadster.

I currently have a 200gb HD hooked up to my head unit, but searching and controlling from the head unit is a PITA.

As this is a roadster, sound quality is not something that I really need to focus on (although the car does sound pretty decent for what it is) so my music collection for this car is all MP3 320kbps.

So, I am looking for a dap that has physical buttons (not touch screen or capacitive buttons) that I can use the main functions by feeling the buttons rather than looking at the dap.

It does not need to play FLAC or DSD, although it would obviously be a bonus.

It will feed into my HUs Aux input, so if it can be set to line out it would be great.

I am also not bothered about album art or even a colour screen, as long as the screen is nice enough and clear enough to be read and choose an album at a stop light without removing the DAP from its dock (I will create a dock for it).

A physical on/off switch would be also preferred, with a relatively fast boot time (when not rescanning card of course).

Finally, it must accept at least a 128gb card.

Any suggestions are appreciated!!

Jun 2, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #6,038 of 8,150
Jun 2, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #6,039 of 8,150
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/HBN...-level-Music-Players-Durable/32831208036.html Easy to navigate using buttons 128 GB card works well have not tried a bigger card

Thanks Hungry Panda, although I think that it might be a little too small to navigate easily without pulling from the dock.

I was thinking more along the lines of the size and layout of the Ruizu X50, Ruizu X02 etc (I don't know anything about these, just that the form factor fits.

I also came accross the AK NiNTAUS X10S on AliExpress, which I like the layout of, but again, I have no idea about the quality.

Jun 2, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #6,040 of 8,150
Jun 3, 2019 at 2:14 AM Post #6,042 of 8,150
Anybody know what F.Audio FA2 is like?

Jun 3, 2019 at 2:51 AM Post #6,044 of 8,150
The old ugly xduoo x3.

@Pewterlocks list:

1) 2 SD cards a must
2) good UI
3) decent sound
4) good battery
5) decent customer support as in FW updates
6) unlimited number of files

xduoo X3 definitely doesn't meet #5, and it's questionable if it meets #2. Also, it only meets #6 with Rockbox.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back