Obscure Chinese DAPs
Jun 3, 2019 at 6:35 AM Post #6,046 of 8,150
It has more technical ability than Z1, however if you boost the bass to the levels I like it, it would distort. It tended to get hung up on large files, and my Z3s default language was Chinese, and if it gets hung up and you reset it, you lose EQ settings and have to change the system back to English, which took a lot of hunting and pecking initially.

It’s got the 4493 chip so it sounds great, great clarity and imaging, and I like the size of it, it’s tiny.

However, I got rid of it as I have Z1, Walnut V2s, V2 and F1, because I have too many of those type of devices already lol.

Jun 3, 2019 at 10:04 AM Post #6,047 of 8,150
@Pewterlocks list:

1) 2 SD cards a must
2) good UI
3) decent sound
4) good battery
5) decent customer support as in FW updates
6) unlimited number of files

xduoo X3 definitely doesn't meet #5, and it's questionable if it meets #2. Also, it only meets #6 with Rockbox.

What about the Xduoo X 10, it seems to have all that I want. Is it a good choice? What about the X10T it does not seem to have an headphone jack? And then there is the X20,

Thanks
Bruce

Jun 3, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #6,048 of 8,150
I have purchased both the Xduoo X3, and X10 (first edition). I am not impressed. The sound quality is only OK, not stellar. The XDuoo headphone amp did not help the X10 at tall. Rockbox helps the X3. But my main complaint, is that it seems like XDuoo's policy is to put out one firmware update per model, and thats it. Instead of the X10T, they should have improved the firmware for the original X10!

I share your 2 card slot requirement, but with 200GB cards falling in price every day, and 256GB and 400GB cards coming ... even my view on two slots is softening...

Jun 3, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #6,049 of 8,150
It has more technical ability than Z1, however if you boost the bass to the levels I like it, it would distort. It tended to get hung up on large files, and my Z3s default language was Chinese, and if it gets hung up and you reset it, you lose EQ settings and have to change the system back to English, which took a lot of hunting and pecking initially.

It’s got the 4493 chip so it sounds great, great clarity and imaging, and I like the size of it, it’s tiny.

However, I got rid of it as I have Z1, Walnut V2s, V2 and F1, because I have too many of those type of devices already lol.
Yes thanks for the info. We are all crazy and have too much of everything LOL. I had a older zishan 4495 but it was lost. I did like I figured I would try the z3 that’s why I just picked one up. Regarding the EQ I asked a while back in the thread about how to load rockbox eq files. This way you can also lower the overall level to compensate for the frequency boost. That would solve the problem you mentioned. I was using the file eq for isines, with the files you can do parametric eq. I will try again with the z3.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2019 at 11:00 AM Post #6,051 of 8,150
What did you not like about the X10?
Unfortunately in Canada the price of SD cards is still about $50-60 Canadian for 200 gig cards.
I could buy a non brand name and hope for the best

Xduoo is not good about firmware updates. As long as you’re ok with that and understand what you’re getting into. I have xduoo X3 with Rockbox, and I like it. But I knew what to expect with regards to being abandoned by the manufacturer.

Jun 3, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #6,052 of 8,150
Xduoo is not good about firmware updates. As long as you’re ok with that and understand what you’re getting into. I have xduoo X3 with Rockbox, and I like it. But I knew what to expect with regards to being abandoned by the manufacturer.

Sorry, what I meant to ask was, how is the sound? Does it have a file limit? As for the UI, is it at least useable?
Thanks for the info, it all helps as I really would like to get a good cheapish dap.
I am also willing to look at single card daps as well. So what do you got to offer.
I really want something that sounds good and has unlimited file capacity.

Jun 3, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #6,053 of 8,150
Sorry, what I meant to ask was, how is the sound? Does it have a file limit? As for the UI, is it at least useable?
Thanks for the info, it all helps as I really would like to get a good cheapish dap.
I am also willing to look at single card daps as well. So what do you got to offer.

All I have to offer is the xduoo X3 with Rockbox. Which is a great player (with Rockbox), totally usable, inexpensive, and has no file limit.

I’m sure others will be able to answer your questions about other players better than I.

Jun 3, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #6,054 of 8,150
@Pewterlocks list:

1) 2 SD cards a must
2) good UI
3) decent sound
4) good battery

xduoo X3 definitely doesn't meet #5, and it's questionable if it meets #2. Also, it only meets #6 with Rockbox.
@Pewterlocks list:

1) 2 SD cards a must
2) good UI
3) decent sound
4) good battery

So what's your recommendation under 200 with all 6 met?

Jun 3, 2019 at 4:06 PM Post #6,055 of 8,150

#3 “Decent Sound” being a “must” made me laugh so hard out loud as opposite to Great Sound because why would anyone want that as a the #1 priority!

(Please take this as a tongue and check comment, it was just my first reaction to the list)

Most of the things are ideal in Dap around 200 bucks but something like having 2 SD seems a bit much. I’d rather have internal storage and one SD slot and I don’t expect much coding expertise from “obscure Chinese daps” which have misspelled English words like “Floder” instead of Folder, etc haha

I recommend an IPod Classic with a mod of tw external SD Cards for that price and priorities. But make sure you get the IPod Video 5th Gen with the Wolfson Dac.

You can probably get an old iPod Classic for 75 bucks or under on eBay and put one of these in it.

Tarkan iFlash-Dual SD Card Adapter For iPod. Replace your iPod's Hard Drive With Two SDHC or SDXC Storage Cards to Modernize Your iPod 5th Gen (aka. iPod Video) or iPod Classic (aka. 6th Gen, 7th Gen) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BY7C13C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_v8x9Cb727WANS

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #6,056 of 8,150
And has 200 dollars to spend....!!!!

Jun 3, 2019 at 4:16 PM Post #6,057 of 8,150

Try to find a used ibasso DX120.

Or remove a couple of points from your list, and be happy just choosing 4 or 5 out of the 6.

You could also repurpose a slightly older Android phone into a great dedicated DAP. Something like an LG V30 or V30+. Get one with 128GB or 256GB builtin storage, and add your own sd card. Since you’re going to carry a dedicated device just for music, who cares if it’s a repurposed phone or not.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #6,058 of 8,150
Try to find a used ibasso DX120.

Or remove a couple of points from your list, and be happy just choosing 4 or 5 out of the 6.

You could also repurpose a slightly older Android phone into a great dedicated DAP. Something like an LG V30. Get one with 128GB builtin storage, and add your own sd card.

If you can find an LG V30 under 200 bucks that’s a great idea! The DAP is quad DAC ESS Chip (if I remember correctly ) and it runs on Android stock with firmware updates, wifi and music managing killer apps like Hiby you can download along with high res streaming paid services like Tidal

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #6,059 of 8,150
If you can find an LG V30 under 200 bucks that’s a great idea! The DAP is quad DAC ESS Chip (if I remember correctly ) and it runs on Android stock with firmware updates, wifi and music managing killer apps like Hiby you can download along with high res streaming paid services like Tidal

Exactly

It’s got a full Android installation where you can install ANY app, instead of the crippled installs on Android DAPs that only let you install a few apps.

It’s also got wireless charging, 4GB or 6GB ram, and loads of other features.

I’m fairly sure they can all be updated to Android 8.0 as well, although there’s nothing necessarily wrong with Nougat since it would only be used as a DAP.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2019 at 5:19 PM Post #6,060 of 8,150
#3 “Decent Sound” being a “must” made me laugh so hard out loud as opposite to Great Sound because why would anyone want that as a the #1 priority!

(Please take this as a tongue and check comment, it was just my first reaction to the list)

Most of the things are ideal in Dap around 200 bucks but something like having 2 SD seems a bit much. I’d rather have internal storage and one SD slot and I don’t expect much coding expertise from “obscure Chinese daps” which have misspelled English words like “Floder” instead of Folder, etc haha

I recommend an IPod Classic with a mod of tw external SD Cards for that price and priorities. But make sure you get the IPod Video 5th Gen with the Wolfson Dac.

You can probably get an old iPod Classic for 75 bucks or under on eBay and put one of these in it.

Tarkan iFlash-Dual SD Card Adapter For iPod. Replace your iPod's Hard Drive With Two SDHC or SDXC Storage Cards to Modernize Your iPod 5th Gen (aka. iPod Video) or iPod Classic (aka. 6th Gen, 7th Gen) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BY7C13C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_v8x9Cb727WANS

That's almost exactly what I did! iPod classic 5th gen + iflash quad as well as a 3000mAh battery. Bit the bullet and tried iTunes one more time, so now I have a 370Gb iPod classic with 90 gigs of ALAC music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back