Obscure Chinese DAPs
Jun 12, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #4,951 of 8,140
Moonlight Box Z6Pro vs shanling m0 ?[/QUOT
There is a 80 page thread in a russian forum about z6 pro here http://player.ru/showthread.php?t=167916&page=72 i google translated it but still difficult to understand.They all r saying sound quality is superb like tube like analog and audiophile sound even surpassing some expensive models but not happy with the firmware(also have different firmwares like japanese firmwares).they r also saying sound tuning is very different from other daps that it has a special sound which cannot be compared to others.maybe this peculiar tuning is what they like about the player.So i think if sound quality is your only preference go with z6 pro and if you want a perfect package go with m0.i am also confused choosing between z6 pro and faudio xs02 my preference is sound quality alone.

Jun 12, 2018 at 11:20 PM Post #4,952 of 8,140
With the high cost of the Revamp I'm going to out of the way and say it's more people who love the Indonesian community and sound. The price is way too high. A lot of people are happy enough with a $50 Chifi player (myself included) and that's a lot less than the $350 of that one.

staring down at a bengie t6, shanling M0, QNGEE X2, ZiShan Z3, iPod Classic Gen5, and Zune HD around my desk infront of me, I'm wondering the same thing.

how did this all happen?
How did it get to this point?

Especially with a fiio X3 gen1 and gen 2 as well as a PlenueD packed in an extra tool bag I've been hauling around with a stack of IEMs and earbuds to test.
What makes one better thing than another other than the writing or video blog of some so called expert I don't even know.

I used to get by with my little ipod shuffles and nano even a little $10 cheapo EXPREX chinese SD Card MP3 player I picked up at Fry's 2 or more decades ago.

And then I stumbled upon and heard something I didn't hear before and it felt like I had been missing out on something I wasn't even aware of and there seemed to be so many out there touting additional new things to discover that it created a mission or pursuit where there wasn't one before. For getting some of high value on the cheap is an in grained local cultural thing here in hawaii kind of like the walmart, target and premium discount mall mentality of shopping on the mainland.. Where as my traditional japanese friends from japan focused more on buying the absolute best no matter the cost and making it last a lifetime with meticulous care.

Also it seems the same with this distraction/pursuit that in the end KISS will always be the winner in the end.

Jun 13, 2018 at 12:14 AM Post #4,953 of 8,140
staring down at a bengie t6, shanling M0, QNGEE X2, ZiShan Z3, iPod Classic Gen5, and Zune HD around my desk infront of me, I'm wondering the same thing.

how did this all happen?
How did it get to this point?

Especially with a fiio X3 gen1 and gen 2 as well as a PlenueD packed in an extra tool bag I've been hauling around with a stack of IEMs and earbuds to test.
What makes one better thing than another other than the writing or video blog of some so called expert I don't even know.

I used to get by with my little ipod shuffles and nano even a little $10 cheapo EXPREX chinese SD Card MP3 player I picked up at Fry's 2 or more decades ago.

And then I stumbled upon and heard something I didn't hear before and it felt like I had been missing out on something I wasn't even aware of and there seemed to be so many out there touting additional new things to discover that it created a mission or pursuit where there wasn't one before. For getting some of high value on the cheap is an in grained local cultural thing here in hawaii kind of like the walmart, target and premium discount mall mentality of shopping on the mainland.. Where as my traditional japanese friends from japan focused more on buying the absolute best no matter the cost and making it last a lifetime with meticulous care.

Also it seems the same with this distraction/pursuit that in the end KISS will always be the winner in the end.
@oneula which one is your favorite?

Jun 13, 2018 at 12:44 AM Post #4,954 of 8,140
@oneula which one is your favorite?

They are all good in one way or another
I like the shanling M0 but the touch screen and body sucks because of the finger prints
I was listening to my VE Zen's today using the ZiShan Z3 and it powered those 300 buds with no problem plus I ran the lineout to my VE Runabout and LittleBird Tube amp but the UI is confusing
The QNGEE X2 seems to be a good compromise between them all but it doesn't seem to handle all my file types. and the Benjie like the iPod, ZuneHD, and Fiios just seem more intuitive and easier to use.

The M0 has impressed me the most with everything it can do being so small, but I hate cleaning it all the time.

But after playing around with all this stuff (and I still have a Hiby R3 and Hidiz AP60Pro to show up one day)
I think getting the simplest to use player with absolutely the best sound and long battery life without all the fancy format specs and functions will probably do it for me.
Oh and ideally some decent bluetooth and the ability to drive some good over ears along with IEMs would be nice to haves. Getting the absolutely best sound quality, battery life along with simplicity are the most important features to me for a stand alone player. I can get the all the fancy graphics and app stuff off my phone since I have a V30. Plus I hate fingerprints on any device so no screen would be just fine... I guess that why the ZiShan DSD AK4497, Revamp P1 and Tera Player have sparked my interest lately

If you want to go cheap then the QNGEE if you want something with more support then the M0 for double the price. Shanling seems responsive to the user base

Jun 13, 2018 at 7:59 AM Post #4,955 of 8,140
They are all good in one way or another
I like the shanling M0 but the touch screen and body sucks because of the finger prints
I was listening to my VE Zen's today using the ZiShan Z3 and it powered those 300 buds with no problem plus I ran the lineout to my VE Runabout and LittleBird Tube amp but the UI is confusing
The QNGEE X2 seems to be a good compromise between them all but it doesn't seem to handle all my file types. and the Benjie like the iPod, ZuneHD, and Fiios just seem more intuitive and easier to use.

The M0 has impressed me the most with everything it can do being so small, but I hate cleaning it all the time.

But after playing around with all this stuff (and I still have a Hiby R3 and Hidiz AP60Pro to show up one day)
I think getting the simplest to use player with absolutely the best sound and long battery life without all the fancy format specs and functions will probably do it for me.
Oh and ideally some decent bluetooth and the ability to drive some good over ears along with IEMs would be nice to haves. Getting the absolutely best sound quality, battery life along with simplicity are the most important features to me for a stand alone player. I can get the all the fancy graphics and app stuff off my phone since I have a V30. Plus I hate fingerprints on any device so no screen would be just fine... I guess that why the ZiShan DSD AK4497, Revamp P1 and Tera Player have sparked my interest lately

If you want to go cheap then the QNGEE if you want something with more support then the M0 for double the price. Shanling seems responsive to the user base
Haven't heard AK4497,
But i relate to your personal quest for a KISS. I can try to describe better the P1 to you,
I think it sound much better than Aune M1s BAL output, and the amp, A1 is imo objectively better than Aube B1s. The latter pairs well with anything, does not roll of, doesn't artificially expand the soundstage...
The sound of P1 is rich, holographic, Natural. It brings the very best out of my earphones in the 0-200usd range imho. Everything sounds good out of it. Either warm, dark, bright, cold. Its all good!
Aube m1s has treble glare, too dry, too cold for my tastes, bass lacked a bit of resolution. It didn't sound effortless. More like trying too hard to show details in your face.
My collection of "vintage" recordings would sound terrible on the aune. As unpleasant as a VHS played on a 4K OLED screen.
P1 felt like time travel. I mean, it sounds just right. No matter the type of recording I would use.

One of the good thing about P1 that is very rare among portable dap nowadays is the battery can be replaced. Its a standard model that cost around 10usd on AliExpress. That expand its lifetime greatly. I kind of hope if new innovation in battery happen, it would be possible to expand the player on that side.

Also nice is that if you are bored with the sound for some reason, you can always swap the opamp to fine tune it to your liking.

I noticed that it drives multi driver iem and earbuds up to 150ohm effortlessly.. for the zen, I recommend an amp even though I read some where happy with 300ohm earphones using this.

TJ, the maker, is very supportive and if you ask a new function to be implemented (for me it was a lock function) it can be added in the following week or something.
He stand behind is products and if something happens, you can send it back to him and he will actually fix it promptly (cannot say the same with aune personally)
I think the first year the warranty is "free", only shipping back is paid, and afterwards you only pay for parts. That is quite a honest deal I think. To be confirmed thought. Maybe something was lost in translation when he told me that.

Battery life is 10to12 hours with mostly flac and some mp3.

There seems to be no limits on SD card size and I'd sometimes use a filled 128gb SD card just because.

Coming from zishan, body is slightly heavier, the shell is of higher grade quality. Size is identical.
The buttons are made of metals and have a nicer feel to it.
The light indicator is quite pretty, the way it fade in and out is similar to some electronic cigarettes, vape mods led.
The volume pot is of much higher quality with a nice grip.

Now the bad things:
It's still a homemade product:
I had the dac chip that failed on me after a few hours of usage after receiving it and had to send it back. Paid 25euro shipping and it took a month to arrive to him.

Few other people had issues on arrival with their dap on the first week on the thread. Its still a handmade products with no industry standard quality control,
That is annoying, but I hope tj will do more extensive testing and burning with the new batch. (I'm sure he would agree on if you ask him personally)

There is no way to know how much battery is left. It just stop playing at some point and display a red light.

The CPU is extremely weak and very picky at decoding files. Some had issues with their SD card, I never did. But I had a bit of troubles with flac files. Anything with compression level above 4 can't be read or glitch out, and I have to convert a lot of flac to a lower level. (Note it doesn't change the sound quality, just make the file slightly bigger)
Its not hard to do, but takes time if you have a big collection.

Also the smallest corruption in audio files that goes unnoticed with most players will cause the P1 to freeze (like a scratched CD) and only can turn off/on the player and skip the track to solve this.
Happen with 1% of my library.

The player freezed a couple of times if I plug the USB port on the computer while playing. Like there was a voltage drop or something... I think the usb cable was a cheap one with a poor ground. I use a Anker cable now and it's fine. This dap has sensitive electronic inside. Even though it is robust on the outside.

I've used it extensively, every single day since September after the first and only repair and it hasn't shown any signs of failure except some minor hiccups as described above. I dropped it a couple of times. Left it turned on overnight by mistakes. No issues... I think it's going strong now.
I intend this to be my last and only DAP. If I had to buy another source now, it would be for desktop usage.
Of course I cannot prove this dap can last a lifetime, but it looks like it could. And if TJ is still around, there is no reason he would stop support it. He is a perfectionist and very ambitious guy with a sense of pride for his products.
With that in mind, the price is not as ridiculous as it first seems.

The simplicity, durability and focus on sound quality is all I look for in an audio player. If it is the same for you, I think you'll be satisfied.

Jun 13, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #4,956 of 8,140
Haven't heard AK4497,
But i relate to your personal quest for a KISS. I can try to describe better the P1 to you,
I think it sound much better than Aune M1s BAL output, and the amp, A1 is imo objectively better than Aube B1s. The latter pairs well with anything, does not roll of, doesn't artificially expand the soundstage...
The sound of P1 is rich, holographic, Natural. It brings the very best out of my earphones in the 0-200usd range imho. Everything sounds good out of it. Either warm, dark, bright, cold. Its all good!
Aube m1s has treble glare, too dry, too cold for my tastes, bass lacked a bit of resolution. It didn't sound effortless. More like trying too hard to show details in your face.
My collection of "vintage" recordings would sound terrible on the aune. As unpleasant as a VHS played on a 4K OLED screen.
P1 felt like time travel. I mean, it sounds just right. No matter the type of recording I would use.

One of the good thing about P1 that is very rare among portable dap nowadays is the battery can be replaced. Its a standard model that cost around 10usd on AliExpress. That expand its lifetime greatly. I kind of hope if new innovation in battery happen, it would be possible to expand the player on that side.

Also nice is that if you are bored with the sound for some reason, you can always swap the opamp to fine tune it to your liking.

I noticed that it drives multi driver iem and earbuds up to 150ohm effortlessly.. for the zen, I recommend an amp even though I read some where happy with 300ohm earphones using this.

TJ, the maker, is very supportive and if you ask a new function to be implemented (for me it was a lock function) it can be added in the following week or something.
He stand behind is products and if something happens, you can send it back to him and he will actually fix it promptly (cannot say the same with aune personally)
I think the first year the warranty is "free", only shipping back is paid, and afterwards you only pay for parts. That is quite a honest deal I think. To be confirmed thought. Maybe something was lost in translation when he told me that.

Battery life is 10to12 hours with mostly flac and some mp3.

There seems to be no limits on SD card size and I'd sometimes use a filled 128gb SD card just because.

Coming from zishan, body is slightly heavier, the shell is of higher grade quality. Size is identical.
The buttons are made of metals and have a nicer feel to it.
The light indicator is quite pretty, the way it fade in and out is similar to some electronic cigarettes, vape mods led.
The volume pot is of much higher quality with a nice grip.

Now the bad things:
It's still a homemade product:
I had the dac chip that failed on me after a few hours of usage after receiving it and had to send it back. Paid 25euro shipping and it took a month to arrive to him.

Few other people had issues on arrival with their dap on the first week on the thread. Its still a handmade products with no industry standard quality control,
That is annoying, but I hope tj will do more extensive testing and burning with the new batch. (I'm sure he would agree on if you ask him personally)

There is no way to know how much battery is left. It just stop playing at some point and display a red light.

The CPU is extremely weak and very picky at decoding files. Some had issues with their SD card, I never did. But I had a bit of troubles with flac files. Anything with compression level above 4 can't be read or glitch out, and I have to convert a lot of flac to a lower level. (Note it doesn't change the sound quality, just make the file slightly bigger)
Its not hard to do, but takes time if you have a big collection.

Also the smallest corruption in audio files that goes unnoticed with most players will cause the P1 to freeze (like a scratched CD) and only can turn off/on the player and skip the track to solve this.
Happen with 1% of my library.

The player freezed a couple of times if I plug the USB port on the computer while playing. Like there was a voltage drop or something... I think the usb cable was a cheap one with a poor ground. I use a Anker cable now and it's fine. This dap has sensitive electronic inside. Even though it is robust on the outside.

I've used it extensively, every single day since September after the first and only repair and it hasn't shown any signs of failure except some minor hiccups as described above. I dropped it a couple of times. Left it turned on overnight by mistakes. No issues... I think it's going strong now.
I intend this to be my last and only DAP. If I had to buy another source now, it would be for desktop usage.
Of course I cannot prove this dap can last a lifetime, but it looks like it could. And if TJ is still around, there is no reason he would stop support it. He is a perfectionist and very ambitious guy with a sense of pride for his products.
With that in mind, the price is not as ridiculous as it first seems.

The simplicity, durability and focus on sound quality is all I look for in an audio player. If it is the same for you, I think you'll be satisfied.

Thanks
I messaged a couple of P1 owners and they had good things to say as well
It's a little on the high side for me about the cost of a brand new surfboard here in hawaii, but if I took all the money I spent on cheap chifi the past three months I probably could have bought this and a really good IEM. Right now I am waiting for the indonesian holiday to finish so TJ can mail out items to get the P1 and A1 combo and I might sell most of this other stuff or just give it away to family and close friends. My headphones at home will be the Sennheiser 6XX, Hifi Man 4xx, Modhouse Argon Mk3, Beyedynamicr 770Pro 250 and Monolith 560. My IEMs will probably just be my VE buds along with the CA Comets. Will these work with the P1-A1. Iim moving from 128GB cards to 32GB cards and organizing my music for a KISS DAP like the P1 or ZiShan.

Thanks again

Jun 13, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #4,957 of 8,140
Thanks
I messaged a couple of P1 owners and they had good things to say as well
It's a little on the high side for me about the cost of a brand new surfboard here in hawaii, but if I took all the money I spent on cheap chifi the past three months I probably could have bought this and a really good IEM. Right now I am waiting for the indonesian holiday to finish so TJ can mail out items to get the P1 and A1 combo and I might sell most of this other stuff or just give it away to family and close friends. My headphones at home will be the Sennheiser 6XX, Hifi Man 4xx, Modhouse Argon Mk3, Beyedynamicr 770Pro 250 and Monolith 560. My IEMs will probably just be my VE buds along with the CA Comets. Will these work with the P1-A1. Iim moving from 128GB cards to 32GB cards and organizing my music for a KISS DAP like the P1 or ZiShan.

Thanks again
Sorry what is p1?

Jun 13, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #4,958 of 8,140
Jun 13, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #4,959 of 8,140
I have the Hifiwalker H2 DAP. It is very similar to the Agptek H3 and a similar price but is better made and includes a decent pair of IEMs in the accessory package. Since the latest firmware upgrade any issues I had have been resolved. The Agptek firmware is still, I believe, in Beta form.

Very interested in the hifi walker H2, how's the output, and battery? I want a dap that can do corded and Bluetooth cans and one that can drive them good and loud...

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #4,960 of 8,140
Very interested in the hifi walker H2, how's the output, and battery? I want a dap that can do corded and Bluetooth cans and one that can drive them good and loud...
Well, I have no trouble driving all my IEMs, even the Trinity Audio Master which is power hungry. I do use a Fiio A5 amplifier as well. Output from headphone socket and line out is robust. I do not have full sized headphones or Bluetooth ones. Battery life is very good.

Jun 13, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #4,961 of 8,140
There is a 80 page thread in a russian forum about z6 pro here http://player.ru/showthread.php?t=167916&page=72 i google translated it but still difficult to understand.They all r saying sound quality is superb like tube like analog and audiophile sound even surpassing some expensive models but not happy with the firmware(also have different firmwares like japanese firmwares).they r also saying sound tuning is very different from other daps that it has a special sound which cannot be compared to others.maybe this peculiar tuning is what they like about the player.So i think if sound quality is your only preference go with z6 pro and if you want a perfect package go with m0.i am also confused choosing between z6 pro and faudio xs02 my preference is sound quality alone.

i just saw z6 pro is no bluethooth..shame :)

Jun 14, 2018 at 7:13 AM Post #4,962 of 8,140
It would be interesting to read a comparison between the Nuansa P1 and one of Hifiman’s older TDA1543-based HM-60X players (I have and still enjoy a HM-601LE and a HM-603).

Jun 15, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #4,963 of 8,140
Well, I have no trouble driving all my IEMs, even the Trinity Audio Master which is power hungry. I do use a Fiio A5 amplifier as well. Output from headphone socket and line out is robust. I do not have full sized headphones or Bluetooth ones. Battery life is very good.

Tested the hifi walker today, not impressed, flat no dynamics, lacking power to drive my Jabra move to a decent sound level, not my cup of tea. Returned them. My Samsung a8 is more engaging.
What to try next?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back