Obscure Chinese DAPs
Jan 2, 2018 at 12:46 AM Post #4,096 of 8,134
My experience with the volume wheel is that it annoys me. It does change sometimes in my pocket. Also, with very sensitive iems I have a problem with setting the level. A level of 6 will be too quiet but a level of 7 might be too much. If I use headphones or less sensitive iems then it is ok. I will usually need the volume to be somewhere between 9 and 14 in that case.

I read that specific comment, it gives me more doubts about which player is preferable. It makes the Ruizu A50 less desirable imho, controls are a large part of what we experience during usage of a hifiplayer. Same controlsargument basically goes for the Ninklaus x10 which does not have dedicated volumecontrols which another head-fi member posted. Guess I will not be going for both the X10 or the A50, which only leaves 2 players..

€39,-- Benji T6 X1000 (on sale atm, 44% discount)
€35,-- Fengru P2 (on sale atm, 40% discount)

I can not find a descent review of the Fengru P2, it also has a wheel (for some reason I am attracked to wheels), the implementation seems alot better just judging by it's looks. Some say the Fengru P2 is not a DAP by nature but a voicerecorder, so I guess that leaves only the benjie T6 to choose from....?:L3000:

Thx.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2018 at 3:42 AM Post #4,097 of 8,134
I read that specific comment, it gives me more doubts about which player is preferable. It makes the Ruizu A50 less desirable imho, controls are a large part of what we experience during usage of a hifiplayer. Same controlsargument basically goes for the Ninklaus x10 which does not have dedicated volumecontrols which another head-fi member posted. Guess I will not be going for both the X10 or the A50, which only leaves 2 players..

€39,-- Benji T6 X1000 (on sale atm, 44% discount)
€35,-- Fengru P2 (on sale atm, 40% discount)

I can not find a descent review of the Fengru P2, it also has a wheel (for some reason I am attracked to wheels), the implementation seems alot better just judging by it's looks. Some say the Fengru P2 is not a DAP by nature but a voicerecorder, so I guess that leaves only the benjie T6 to choose from....?:L3000:

Thx.
Fengru P2 looks the same as Mrobo C5. If my memory serves me correctly, there are 2 versions of C5 and @crabdog has reviewed both of them. Have a look at the review section of the forum.

Jan 2, 2018 at 4:23 AM Post #4,098 of 8,134
I fancy this.
I have a z2 but find the headlessness infuriating.
The reason that I'm not going to get it is the lack of a card reader.
I like to play then delete and put new music on so usb connectivity is very important.
I love the sound of the z2 but need a screen and proper usb connectivity if I can't delete on the device.
I listen to podcasts and radio programmes mostly so bookmarking is also very helpful if I am to listen to podcasts in the car and music at work.

Other than that I'm very intrigued by the f,audio s1
It,s about the same price.

Does the hive mind have any opinions on this player?

Chas
I just bought it via AliExpress. Gonna post impressions when it arrives.

Jan 2, 2018 at 5:28 AM Post #4,099 of 8,134
Fengru P2 looks the same as Mrobo C5. If my memory serves me correctly, there are 2 versions of C5 and @crabdog has reviewed both of them. Have a look at the review section of the forum.
Yep the first version had some problems with tonality. The 2nd one fixed the sound and made some slight changes to the UI. Very nice build but as usual a bit wonky button and navigation setup.

Jan 2, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #4,100 of 8,134
Capture d’écran (66).png

Hehe, I look EVERYDAY to know where the FA1 is.....was thinking today is the day, but still in transit!
Hope it will not arrive in 2019!

Jan 2, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #4,101 of 8,134
Yep the first version had some problems with tonality. The 2nd one fixed the sound and made some slight changes to the UI. Very nice build but as usual a bit wonky button and navigation setup.

1. I read about that version 1 audioproblem in a review, but the funny thing is that I can buy Mrobo C5 v1's on ali express @ €40,--, but the version 2 is nowhere to be found which is a shame! Or not because it could suggest the V2 of the Mrobo c5 is a really good proposition!:dt880smile: The glass is half empty or half full, you tell me?!:ksc75smile: Sadly, I have not read anything about a firmware update that fixes the V1-audioproblem so buying a V1 feels like a nogo anyway, maybe there is still a way to score a new Mrobo c5v2 for the same price as a v1?
  2. The scrollwheel of the Mrobo c5 v2 is alot better then the scrollwheell of the Ruizu A50 from what I have read from owners & while locked the scrollwheel can not alter what you are hearing. That got me interested in this device, so I went on to collect some knowledge about bluetooth i.c.w. hifiplayers regarding the benjie T6 (my other alternative DAP option). The conclusion seems to be that bluetooth degrades the DAP-influence on audioquality which feels detrimental to the sole purpose why DAP's even exist. So this was an eye opener for me regarding the benjie T6 and any other bluetooth DAP out there until proven otherwise by you guys and girls. Bluetooth does not seem to make sense if you want a budget-DAPor just a DAP in general. Maybe you are better off buying a simple mp3-player if you want to use bluetooth, because apparantly most people will not hear a difference in soundquality between a bluetooth smartphone and a bluetooth highquality DAP;
  3. Next to the advantage of the buildquality, the Mrobo c5v2 offers 60h playtime where the Benjie T6 only offers 9h of playtime. This is a pretty big difference and I feel the lesser quality screen and not having bluetooth is part of the reason why it can probably offer 60h of playtime. The question then becomes if lesser screen quality and not having bluetooth is a good or a bad thing overal? Again, the glass is half empty or is it half full?!:floatsmile:
  4. Last but not least the Mrobo c5v2 has a line out. Now at first I overlooked this functionality because I am not an audiophile yet (as we all know by now). But after a while I started to understand that I could save all music forever on this small simple device (sd-card) and just hook it up whenever and whereever I feel like listening to a particular song of my past in very high quality. How freaking awesome is that!
I have never in my life learned so much about audiodevices as i did in the last 24h. The biggest lesson for me seems to be that on a budget, every unique selling point can have drawbacks (like the 60h battery and low screenquality+no bluetooth on the c5). So you better check every small detail so you do not get disappointed with a purchase! You can not buy a DAP for €50,-- or even €200,-- and expect that it will be perfect in every way, because it will not!

To end my posting about my eventual purchase and knowledge-journey in this topic, I believe I am better off without bluetooth and fancy screens. I should focus more on audioquality, controls, buildquality, line out and playtime on 1 batterycharge. If I can still find a new Mrobo c5v2 for €40,-- I will probably buy it.If I can not then I will finally know what I find important specifications for my first DAP. I'd like to thank you all for allowing me to post in this topic, godspeed ladies and gents!

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #4,102 of 8,134
You can not buy a DAP for €50,-- or even €200,-- and expect that it will be perfect in every way, because it will not!

...or even £400

To end my posting about my eventual purchase and knowledge-journey in this topic, I believe I am better off without bluetooth and fancy screens. I should focus more on audioquality, controls, buildquality, line out and playtime on 1 batterycharge. If I can still find a new Mrobo c5v2 for €40,-- I will probably buy it.If I can not then I will finally know what I find important specifications for my first DAP. I'd like to thank you all for allowing me to post in this topic, godspeed ladies and gents!

It is great that you are figuring out what is important to you. Please let us know what you end up with and how you like it.

Jan 2, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #4,103 of 8,134
  1. I read about that version 1 audioproblem in a review, but the funny thing is that I can buy Mrobo C5 v1's on ali express @ €40,--, but the version 2 is nowhere to be found which is a shame! Or not because it could suggest the V2 of the Mrobo c5 is a really good proposition!:dt880smile: The glass is half empty or half full, you tell me?!:ksc75smile: Sadly, I have not read anything about a firmware update that fixes the V1-audioproblem so buying a V1 feels like a nogo anyway, maybe there is still a way to score a new Mrobo c5v2 for the same price as a v1?
  2. The scrollwheel of the Mrobo c5 v2 is alot better then the scrollwheell of the Ruizu A50 from what I have read from owners & while locked the scrollwheel can not alter what you are hearing. That got me interested in this device, so I went on to collect some knowledge about bluetooth i.c.w. hifiplayers regarding the benjie T6 (my other alternative DAP option). The conclusion seems to be that bluetooth degrades the DAP-influence on audioquality which feels detrimental to the sole purpose why DAP's even exist. So this was an eye opener for me regarding the benjie T6 and any other bluetooth DAP out there until proven otherwise by you guys and girls. Bluetooth does not seem to make sense if you want a budget-DAPor just a DAP in general. Maybe you are better off buying a simple mp3-player if you want to use bluetooth, because apparantly most people will not hear a difference in soundquality between a bluetooth smartphone and a bluetooth highquality DAP;
  3. Next to the advantage of the buildquality, the Mrobo c5v2 offers 60h playtime where the Benjie T6 only offers 9h of playtime. This is a pretty big difference and I feel the lesser quality screen and not having bluetooth is part of the reason why it can probably offer 60h of playtime. The question then becomes if lesser screen quality and not having bluetooth is a good or a bad thing overal? Again, the glass is half empty or is it half full?!:floatsmile:
  4. Last but not least the Mrobo c5v2 has a line out. Now at first I overlooked this functionality because I am not an audiophile yet (as we all know by now). But after a while I started to understand that I could save all music forever on this small simple device (sd-card) and just hook it up whenever and whereever I feel like listening to a particular song of my past in very high quality. How freaking awesome is that!
I have never in my life learned so much about audiodevices as i did in the last 24h. The biggest lesson for me seems to be that on a budget, every unique selling point can have drawbacks (like the 60h battery and low screenquality+no bluetooth on the c5). So you better check every small detail so you do not get disappointed with a purchase! You can not buy a DAP for €50,-- or even €200,-- and expect that it will be perfect in every way, because it will not!

Maybe you should take a look at the NiNTAUS X10. It has the same awesome battery life similar to the C5, has a better screen and has a line out. Butttttt you need to turn the screen on to adjust the volume - lol. Or take a look at the F.Audio S1. I haven't tried it but @B9Scrambler seems to like it and I trust his judgement.

Jan 2, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #4,104 of 8,134
Maybe you should take a look at the NiNTAUS X10. It has the same awesome battery life similar to the C5, has a better screen and has a line out. Butttttt you need to turn the screen on to adjust the volume - lol. Or take a look at the F.Audio S1. I haven't tried it but @B9Scrambler seems to like it and I trust his judgement.

I sent him a PM about the F.audio S1 and why he thinks it is a bargain around €50,--. In the meanwhile I will keep searching for a DAP that fits my needs, maybe I can get my hands on a more premium second hand DAP although in my country DAP's are not often purchased.

Jan 2, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #4,105 of 8,134
THIS.
IS.
IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just receive the FAUDIO FA1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
P1020729.JPG

Attempt was ENORMOUS.
Got goosebumps at first listen.
Imaging is just out of this world, as well as complete black background.
First impression: Phenomenal. Body and texture of bass is excellent too, clarity is near analytical. It make 5 minutes I got it.
Will share more in some hours.

Jan 2, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #4,106 of 8,134
THIS.
IS.
IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attempt was ENORMOUS.
First impression: Phenomenal. Body and texture of bass is excellent too, clarity is near analytical. It make 5 minutes I got it.

Glad that you have received it finally. Thanks for the first impressions. Can you compare it with your current DAPs sound quality wise after some detailed listening.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #4,107 of 8,134
Glad that you have received it finally. Thanks for the first impressions. Can you compare it with your current DAPs sound quality wise after some detailed listening.

Yeah, I think it worth the wait. Now I try everything I could in term of features...just use the remote control with line out plug in my soundsystem and it work perfectly. Quite practical this remote cause I can pause or change track from my kitchen now!
Soundwise, details retrieval are out of this world without sounding forced, its really what impress me for now. So yeah, will share more and compare it to my beloved Ibasso DX90 (another clarity beast but little more cold sounding) and Xduoo X10 and X3.

Cheers!

Jan 2, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #4,108 of 8,134
THIS.
IS.
IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attempt was ENORMOUS.

... one step closer from buying it...:sob:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back