Obscure Chinese DAPs
Nov 6, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #3,646 of 8,143
Some DAPs will have a little more emphasis on the bass or warmer sound in general but really if bass is your only concern it's more dependent on the earphones you're using.
Is that the case most of the time? I'm actually asking for recommendations because I recently bought a Sony Nw A45 and I was disappointed in how much bass punch (not warmness), it lacked and eventually sold it. Am i referring to its sub bass roll off?

Nov 6, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #3,647 of 8,143
Hmm maybe I should have phrased this way. A DAP without lack of bass impact, a full bodied BASS. BASSSSSSSS
I can't answer that question though I have a lot of DAPs and stuff.
What I can say is you want a DAP to be as neutral as possible. Use different IEMs or headphones to color the music.

Nov 6, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #3,648 of 8,143
You don't need any additional tool to install the new firmware!
I just copied the two firmware files into the root of the microsd and then selected from A50 menu the "Auto Upgrade" command: non program needed at all.

Just be aware that you need to rename correctly the international version of both files! Otherwise they are not regnized!

The correct name of files MUST be:
RUIZU_A50.HEX
RUIZU_A50_M2_20170805.fw

Just to complete answer, with the latest firmware installed i have no information at all into the "iNFORMATION" menu section of the player but only the word "Model"

Yesterday I took a new 128GB Micro SD card and formatted it on the Ruizu A50.
I then filled it with music (mostly 320kbps .mp3's).
Then I created a new playlist (well the card was new so that started automagically).
I noticed the cover art now spans the whole screen, which is nice!
However only the upper half is shown (but garbled up) and the lower half is static or empty.

I tried to rebuild the database but that didn't help.
I then removed the hidden library files from the card and let it build up the database again.
No change :frowning2:
Does anyone else have this problem?

I too noticed that when you select device information all that is shown is the word "Model" in the middle of the screen.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #3,649 of 8,143
Yesterday I took a new 128GB Micro SD card and formatted it on the Ruizu A50.
I then filled it with music (mostly 320kbps .mp3's).
Then I created a new playlist (well the card was new so that started automagically).
I noticed the cover art now spans the whole screen, which is nice!
However only the upper half is shown (but garbled up) and the lower half is static or empty.

I tried to rebuild the database but that didn't help.
I then removed the hidden library files from the card and let it build up the database again.
No change :frowning2:
Does anyone else have this problem?

I too noticed that when you select device information all that is shown is the word "Model" in the middle of the screen.

Did you do the firmware update? If so, might it be related to that? I have left mine as it came... don't need DSD.

Nov 6, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #3,650 of 8,143
Did you do the firmware update? If so, might it be related to that? I have left mine as it came... don't need DSD.
Yep, I did the update.
There are more changes than the DSD.
Like full screen cover art (when it works).

Nov 6, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #3,651 of 8,143
Yep, I did the update.
There are more changes than the DSD.
Like full screen cover art (when it works).

I would do it if they added gain settings (seems to be on permanent high gain) and gapless play. Also sometimes some albums will say no artist no album but have the song title. The weird thing is, I can find no clue to what the difference could possibly be in the tagging. Albums that do show that info seemed to be tagged the same way. It kind of doesn't matter though because I know what album and artist I am listeninig to.

So the cover art would be more how it looks on the Shanling M1?

I was using that same combo on the right earlier!!

Also, A Fine Frenzy. I dig.

Did you notice I only had the volume at 9 on that Ruizu A50 with those ZS6s? Actually I was using it to burn them in I think I had it at 8 when listening and with some iems have had to put it at 7! That is why I could use gain settings...so I would have finer control over the volume. Like 8.5 would have been perfect. Varies a bit with the album too.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #3,652 of 8,143
I would do it if they added gain settings (seems to be on permanent high gain) and gapless play. Also sometimes some albums will say no artist no album but have the song title. The weird thing is, I can find no clue to what the difference could possibly be in the tagging. Albums that do show that info seemed to be tagged the same way. It kind of doesn't matter though because I know what album and artist I am listeninig to.

So the cover art would be more how it looks on the Shanling M1?
Yep, if it would only work.
I might try it with a card with only a few files on it.

I also noticed the A50 has trouble with a lot of files. It makes a mess of what it indexes like 2 entries for the same artist or genre but one cut off. Or both cut off but differently. The previous firmware had that too.
I always use Mp3tag to tag my files. It can't be that.

It wouldn't hurt if the writers of the firmware would test first before throwing it out.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #3,653 of 8,143
Yep, if it would only work.
I might try it with a card with only a few files on it.

I also noticed the A50 has trouble with a lot of files. It makes a mess of what it indexes like 2 entries for the same artist or genre but one cut off. Or both cut off but differently. The previous firmware had that too.
I always use Mp3tag to tag my files. It can't be that.

I am not brave enough to test out the new firmware. I will let you iron out all the kinks :)

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #3,654 of 8,143
Just posted my review of the Crazier R3 player from Gearbest. The good news is the firmware is different than the stock nintaus x10 and has some welcome improvements. Language options are much better, it has a true custom EQ, and it does away with the annoying "Do you want to resume prompt". Battery life is still absolutely insane like the original. I think it was probably meant to be pronounced Cray-Zeer but to pronounce it Cray-Z-er wouldn't be too far off. An already good value made better.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/crazier-r3.22731/reviews

Nov 6, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #3,655 of 8,143
Ruizu A50 Continued.

I just took an 8GB card and put some .mp3's and .flac files on it and created a playlist.
Now it shows the cover art perfectly in full screen and in perfect condition. Great!
It still only shows cover art up to 600x600 but that's more of a hardware limit.
With the 8GB card there were no naming errors, doubles and cutoffs in the database. Everything was perfect!

So the conclusion is that the A50 has trouble building a database for a large/larger card.
I noticed earlier (with the previous firmware) that even a 32GB card filled with 320 .mp3's is a bit too much for it.
It finds all files but the library contains all kinds of naming errors, doubles and cutoffs.
Maybe it goes better with only .flac files because then you have considerably less files on the card.

Edit 7 november : Took a 32GB card filled with 320kbps .mp3's, removed all hidden files and built the database.
All < 600x600 cover art pictures are shown as they should (Yay!).
Artist, album and track names are cut off though.

I guess a 32GB with .flac files would give no problems with cutting off but that has to be tested to be sure.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #3,656 of 8,143
Just posted my review of the Crazier R3 player from Gearbest. The good news is the firmware is different than the stock nintaus x10 and has some welcome improvements. Language options are much better, it has a true custom EQ, and it does away with the annoying "Do you want to resume prompt". Battery life is still absolutely insane like the original. I think it was probably meant to be pronounced Cray-Zeer but to pronounce it Cray-Z-er wouldn't be too far off. An already good value made better.

I'm crazy enough. I don't need to be crazier.

Nice review :0)

Nov 6, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #3,657 of 8,143

The brand name in chinese characters on the box means "crazy person". Reading your review he's not so crazy after all :wink:
I already have the Nintaus so I'm not in the market for it but for the ones that don't have it yet and like it it's a great tip.

Nov 6, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #3,658 of 8,143
The brand name in chinese characters on the box means "crazy person". Reading your review he's not so crazy after all :wink:
I already have the Nintaus so I'm not in the market for it but for the ones that don't have it yet and like it it's a great tip.

Cool, my Chinese is non-existent so I didn't want to presume anything. Glad we have people here more fluent than I.

Nov 6, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #3,659 of 8,143
Cool, my Chinese is non-existent so I didn't want to presume anything. Glad we have people here more fluent than I.
I studied Chinese but am horrible at reading characters.
With Google translate on your phone you can just tap the camera icon and point your camera at the screen. Voilla, there's the translation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back