Obscure Chinese DAPs
Jul 26, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #3,106 of 8,152
Jul 26, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #3,107 of 8,152
Thanks for the feedback!
I don't know about real hours, but the IQQ should have a 1500mAh battery and the dodocool lists a 1400mAh unit, and it could be possible that it's actually the very same. So I don't know if it's possible to have all these hours of difference with just a theoretical 100mAh.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #3,108 of 8,152
I finally got my Ruizu A50, Yay!
The customs department spoilt it a bit but let's forget that now.

First impressions.
+ Looks great.
+ Relatively heavy, built like a tank which gives it a feel of quality.
+ When you switch it on it opens in last track on the position it was last.
- Manual is only in Chinese.
- The device was set to Chinese when I first started it..
- Sharp corners but not really irritating.
- Tried Settings\Create Playlist 5 times and let it finish but the device doesn't see any playlist.
The result is I can only play through Folder View. (*)
- The classification menu and the Music menu contain identical choices which do nothing.
- The scroll wheel distinguishes between short press and long press.
Long press is play/pause and short press is a menu with Add to Playlist and Delete.
I would have prefered that to work the opposite way.
- As with many Chinese players the bottom button is next track and the top button is previous track.
- The scroll wheel also works opposite to what you (or better, I) would expect.
- No Low/High gain setting.
- The A50's processor is too weak so it responds quite sluggish.
- No setting for when buttons are active in which situation.
- It shows cover art but I think it doesn't show anything above 500x500 pixels.
I haven't checked where the breakpoint lies.
- My first impression is it is somewhat lacking in the lower bass department.
+ The highs and mids seem fine so far.

There were no earbuds in the box (I don't see this as a minus).
Music sounded somewhat overmodulated sometimes but it's too early to say it's the device that's causing it.

I used it with the Fiio EX1v2.

*) I used a MicroSD card of 64GB with 2 directories of which one has over 4000 files.
The IQQ C18 couldn't read this card (and several others) at all but the A50 didn't give a peep.
The other players I have never had problems with large directories (Nintaus X10, Hidizszszs AP60, enz.).

A lot of minuses but many are the same with many other Chinese players and for this price I'm not unhappy with it.

My firmware version is 1.101.10 (2017-06-05).

(crossposted in "RUIZU A50 HD - anyone know anything about this player? Or what do you think?" but modified here afterwards)

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #3,110 of 8,152
Awesome, thank you for your first impressions, seems I have to discard it.
Since you tried them, what would you suggest between Nintaus X10 and the IQQ C18?

Quality wise they are the same (to me).
However I like the looks of the IQQ C18 a bit more and it's thinner.
So for me it's esthetics.
With the IQQ C18 you have a fair chance you have to initialize your Micro SD card first in the device before you put music on it.

The IQQ C18 is easy to open btw. Only 1 screw and you can remove the back.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #3,111 of 8,152
Quality wise they are the same (to me).
However I like the looks of the IQQ C18 a bit more and it's thinner.
So for me it's esthetics.

yeah, the Nintaus looks like a brick:
2026202131-1.jpg

Jul 27, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #3,112 of 8,152
Ruizu A50 continued

I took a brand new 16GB card and filled it with files. This time [ARTIST]\ALBUM so not everything in one directory.
After initializing I found the artists in the Artist folder but the names were limited to 10 characters.
The album names and track names are longer.
The tracks of an album show alphabeticly and not sorted on track.

I used the Yello album "Touch Yello" from 2009 this time (if you don't have it; you want it, believe me!) and I take back that the lower bass is lacking.
The term neutral will do it more right.

With that out of the way I'm overall quite positive about the device and it's sound.
Chinese DAP's will always have quirky interfaces, the very expensive ones too, so considering the price this one gets a thumbs up.

Jul 27, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #3,114 of 8,152
I used the Yello album "Touch Yello" from 2009 this time (if you don't have it; you want it, believe me!) and I take back that the lower bass is lacking.

You also need Yello - Toy.

I only have a 16 Gb card in my Ruizu A 50 at the moment. 64 GB delivered today. Need to decide how I want to organize it as I have found that this player does not stop after an album has finished. It begins the next album. My albums all have the tracks in the correct order.

Sound is as I expect it to be for whatever headphone I am using. I do not try to hear differences among daps. I just enjoy my music and I appreciate the different sound signatures of my various headphones. I love this Ruizu for its form factor. I wanted something small but easy to use that I can just throw in my pocket. My Opus #1 does not leave the house. I use it in the living room with my tube amp. Even my xDuoo x3 is a bit large and heavy for my pockets...lightweight summer shorts.

The Riuzu A50 is exactly what I wanted. Even nicer than I expected.

Jul 27, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #3,115 of 8,152
You also need Yello - Toy.

I only have a 16 Gb card in my Ruizu A 50 at the moment. 64 GB delivered today. Need to decide how I want to organize it as I have found that this player does not stop after an album has finished. It begins the next album. My albums all have the tracks in the correct order.

Sound is as I expect it to be for whatever headphone I am using. I do not try to hear differences among daps. I just enjoy my music and I appreciate the different sound signatures of my various headphones. I love this Ruizu for its form factor. I wanted something small but easy to use that I can just throw in my pocket. My Opus #1 does not leave the house. I use it in the living room with my tube amp. Even my xDuoo x3 is a bit large and heavy for my pockets...lightweight summer shorts.

The Riuzu A50 is exactly what I wanted. Even nicer than I expected.

I have all Yello albums but I think Touch Yello is produced the best and most interesting for the audiophile.
Bul I like them all.

I agree that trying to hear differences in cheap DAPs isn't that useful. There will be differences but the headphones will make the most difference.
The Fiio EX1v2 is a big hit for me and it has a huge soundstage. I love it.

This A50 and me might become good friends.

Jul 28, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #3,116 of 8,152
Did anyone here ever buy from JoyBuy.com?
I see the Shanling M1 is only US$ 95 / € 83 there incl. shipping.
Several colors.
Very, very tempting......

Link : https://www.joybuy.com/3379966.html
$
The Shanling M2s is only $144 while they ask $146 for the Cayin N3!

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #3,117 of 8,152
Did anyone here ever buy from JoyBuy.com?
I see the Shanling M1 is only US$ 95 / € 83 there incl. shipping.
Several colors.
Very, very tempting......

Link : https://www.joybuy.com/3379966.html
$
The Shanling M2s is only $144 while they ask $146 for the Cayin N3!
Wow. Good find. The site looks legit. But you never know. I've already brought a open box Hidizs AP60 (same as Shanling M1??) for just $55 from eBay. So I am good for now.
My next DAP may be the android- based Hidizs AP200 ($240 on Kickstarter)

Jul 28, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #3,118 of 8,152
Wow. Good find. The site looks legit. But you never know. I've already brought a open box Hidizs AP60 (same as Shanling M1??) for just $55 from eBay. So I am good for now.
My next DAP may be the android- based Hidizs AP200 ($240 on Kickstarter)

I'll be testing a retail unit of AP200 soon and will share news about its sound.

It is supposed to arrive sometime next week, if shipping goes well.

Jul 29, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #3,120 of 8,152
At the risk of saying the you know, in the equipments forum there is a sub forum, named some what relevantly, called portable amps, which means it most likely runs on battery power. Fiio A1 I think is the smallest amp at reasonable prices, but I hardly ever see it go on sale; as if someone knows I got my eye on that one.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back