Oblivion | UltraSonic Studios
Dec 31, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #991 of 7,481
Is Sophia 6sl7 good input tube?

Didn't know Sophia has 6sl7 but now I see it. Try it and compare it with the old stock 6sl7 and let us know. :)

I still have a pair of mint Tung Sol 12sl7gt bgrp which I bought new. Typical TS 6sn7gt bgrp tone and I like it a lot with GOTL. I was almost tempted to have Sonic build me a new amp using this pair of Tung Sol and 12sl7 are still available and cheaper. :) However he tells me tubes don't make much difference in Oblivion and Citadel and the tubes he has chosen sound as good as any of the good brands. Only aesthetics perhaps.

Dec 31, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #992 of 7,481
Didn't know Sophia has 6sl7 but now I see it. Try it and compare it with the old stock 6sl7 and let us know. :)

I still have a pair of mint Tung Sol 12sl7gt bgrp which I bought new. Typical TS 6sn7gt bgrp tone and I like it a lot with GOTL. I was almost tempted to have Sonic build me a new amp using this pair of Tung Sol and 12sl7 are still available and cheaper. :) However he tells me tubes don't make much difference in Oblivion and Citadel and the tubes he has chosen sound as good as any of the good brands. Only aesthetics perhaps.
Tubes will always make a difference. But not as big a difference as in traditional, old school, amps. In my amps the tubes are always working in their linear region. So, if you replace one tube with another that has similar grid curves it will also sound very similar. Then you have things like plate structure and different materials used inside the tubes that can also impact the sound.

Dec 31, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #993 of 7,481
I definitely heard a difference with RCA vs Russian tubes. I’ll describe it as a fuller sound. I replaced all 6 tubes. I also bought Foton output tubes which I’ll combine with the Sophia input tubes see how that is.

Dec 31, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #994 of 7,481
I sense something brewing here. Can't wait for Sonic update.

In my dreams, I can see Infinity.
NI_mainvisual01.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2020 at 11:21 PM Post #995 of 7,481
6BG6. They did go quite but it took a while. I could tell that I through different tubes in and like it more with the new ones. I’m guessing the tubes that where in it are the stock. Joe who traded to me gave me bunch of other tubes.
Can't remember if they were the stock tubes, but I do think they were because they were the quietest.

I definitely heard a difference with RCA vs Russian tubes. I’ll describe it as a fuller sound. I replaced all 6 tubes. I also bought Foton output tubes which I’ll combine with the Sophia input tubes see how that is.
I found the RCA's to sound too full and bleeding into the detail in comparison to the Russian tubes.

Jan 9, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #996 of 7,481
So have all my tubes for the Custom and it's pretty quite needs some burn in to hopefully get to fully quite. I got Sophia drivers and NOS Foton russian power tubes. The RCA had too much noise. Thing I noticed that the internal build seems the same through out different power tubes at least the RCA look exactly like the Foton I just got.
image.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #997 of 7,481
So have all my tubes for the Custom and it's pretty quite needs some burn in to hopefully get to fully quite. I got Sophia drivers and NOS Foton russian power tubes. The RCA had too much noise. Thing I noticed that the internal build seems the same through out different power tubes at least the RCA look exactly like the Foton I just got.
image.jpg
Looks good! :)
Have you bought Joseph's amp?

Jan 9, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #999 of 7,481
Jan 9, 2021 at 7:58 PM Post #1,001 of 7,481
My amp selections provide a different sound to each headphone or a headphone just synergizes with that amp better. For example I like the VC on the Euforia the best even though it's the cheapest of my amps. The LCD X XC sound best on the Custom vs the Euforia. The WA33 and headtrip to listen to the 1266 TC and HE-6. I get bored quickly and need to change amps through out the day. The Empyrean is doing awesome right now on the Custom. It's giving me a very big sound with a hall type of sound but not diffused. If

Jan 10, 2021 at 5:19 AM Post #1,003 of 7,481
That custom Citadel looks always get my attention every time it appears. I still haven't heard my He1000se on Oblivion. I believe Bonddam has bought over Joseph's amp.

Still waiting on your impressions of that headphone! From what I've heard it is even better than the HD800, bigger soundstage, clarity, detail, realism. I'm not really a fan of Sennheisers so I'm very interested in the HiFiMan.

Jan 10, 2021 at 5:26 AM Post #1,004 of 7,481
Still waiting on your impressions of that headphone! From what I've heard it is even better than the HD800, bigger soundstage, clarity, detail, realism. I'm not really a fan of Sennheisers so I'm very interested in the HiFiMan.

I've been posting on the He1000se thread so much till the cows comes home. Have a look there. :) Until I return to Canberra, then I will review He1000se with Oblivion here because Oblivion and Yggdrasil are in Canberra and I'm WFH in Sydney.

Meanwhile, SPL Phontor X, Schiit Mjolnir 2 join my Wa22, Violectric v280, Questyle CMA Twelve and SMSL Sp200 here in my home in Sydney and I get to listen with He1000se, LCD-X, HD800 with those amps. LCD-3f coming back soon.

I've been busy !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back