Oblivion | UltraSonic Studios
Jan 10, 2021 at 6:44 AM Post #1,006 of 7,457
First it was just a trade for my CC for his WA33 (which I rely missed after selling) that eventually turned into to a trade.
I'm sure you'll get me with the Infinity.

If you've seen the prototypes of Infinity, you will have willingly give up your custom Citadel. :smiley:

... and btw trade me that WA33 now. :ksc75smile:

Jan 10, 2021 at 8:16 AM Post #1,011 of 7,457
C'mon @SonicTrance leak some spy photos.
I'll do you one better :)
Here's Infinity complete!
DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0003.JPG

Anti-vibration feet is included.
DSC_0006.JPG

DSC_0007.JPG

DSC_0010.JPG

DSC_0012.JPG

Bonus pic :)
IMG_20210110_103110.jpg

If done some measurements and it's 5W into 8 ohms. So not quite the 8W I was shooting for. For even more power I'd have to use different, more expensive, output transformers. To me, it's not necessary. I have some 89db, 6 ohm speakers at home and Infinity drives them no problem.

Price is 2350 for stock version, incl speaker outputs.

I'll update the website soon to include this amp and possible add-ons! One completely new thing for my amps is that Infinity will have a "tube rolling" add-on! The tubes are grid biased so I'll include panel mount trimmers and panel meters to set the correct bias for a certain tube (this is done with amp ON but tubes out, then power OFF, insert tubes and you're done). Stock version will have 6AV6 input and 6P36S output with no possibility to tube roll.

Oh, and I also have another amp coming! It's a baby brother to Infinity called Eternity! More to come on that! :)

Jan 10, 2021 at 8:56 AM Post #1,013 of 7,457
DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0003.JPG

Anti-vibration feet is included.
DSC_0006.JPG

DSC_0007.JPG

DSC_0010.JPG

DSC_0012.JPG

Bonus pic :)
IMG_20210110_103110.jpg

If done some measurements and it's 5W into 8 ohms. So not quite the 8W I was shooting for. For even more power I'd have to use different, more expensive, output transformers. To me, it's not necessary. I have some 89db, 6 ohm speakers at home and Infinity drives them no problem.

Price is 2350 for stock version, incl speaker outputs.

I'll update the website soon to include this amp and possible add-ons! One completely new thing for my amps is that Infinity will have a "tube rolling" add-on! The tubes are grid biased so I'll include panel mount trimmers and panel meters to set the correct bias for a certain tube (this is done with amp ON but tubes out, then power OFF, insert tubes and you're done). Stock version will have 6AV6 input and 6P36S output with no possibility to tube roll.

Oh, and I also have another amp coming! It's a baby brother to Infinity called Eternity! More to come on that! :)
That's a beauty, can't wait to see the customs
I also like the idea of the tube rolling option. Thanks for the photos!

Jan 12, 2021 at 12:12 AM Post #1,014 of 7,457
I am proud to be the first customer of a future Infinity amp. Tomas (@SonicTrance ) & I have been working out the details the last few weeks and mine will be very special customized beast with add-ons I can reveal at a later time. For now I just want to further elaborate on the exciting new feature he mentioned above allowing for tube rolling, and will try & see if I can coax a few basic impressions of the new amp from Tomas.

First off I feel feel compelled to mention what an extraordinary man Tomas seems to be. My experience with him has been truly exemplary, handling my complex requests with not only an open mind but also very insightful and no hint of unpleasantness. I've dealt with plenty hi-fi companies over the years but my experience with him could be the best.

The trimmer / voltmeter concept was brought up by Tomas after expressing an interest in rolling both the 6L6 series and EL12 Spez as powers (output tubes), the latter being able to work with special adapters, but has a very different plate voltage. It was explained that the Infinity amp uses fixed bias architecture which is the opposite of a cathode biased (auto bias) amp. This means that the amp would bias optimally towards one type of tube, vs. something like a Glenn or Feliks Audio amp that lets you use a wide array of similar tubes - although not necessarily under the correct operating points. To overcome this, the trimmer / voltmeter concept allows one to fine tune the grid bias by way of adjusting the potentiometer (knob / 'trimmer') to a voltage that is specified for the tube type, according to a level shown on a corresponding meter added onto the amp. Although I had specified for compatibility with a very large array of tube types, I was lucky enough to work something out where only one set of trimmer / voltmeters would be able to adjust them all to the proper operating points by changing the grid voltage for the tubes - not needing another set for plate voltage. For anyone thinking this sounds like just a bunch of gobbelygook, what this means is the non-stock tubes should be able to reveal their true potential and from what I've come to understand, that can make a huge leap in performance. (feel free to add or correct anything to this, Tomas or anyone).

I further went on to add an additional set of trimmer / voltmeters for the input as well as output tubes, now giving me amazing flexibility with the upcoming Infinity amp. It will be based around the 6L6 series for output including sister classes EL34, KT77 and 7581A, and with above grid bias adjustments and/or adapters where needed, also KT66, KT77, KT88 (maybe), EL12, EL12 Spez / Spec, 6BG6, EL3N, EL38 and the mighty EL39. For input tubes I went with two sockets for 6J5 and one socket for 6SN7 that will run in parallel for either two of the single triode 6J5 (or 6C5, L63, CV1101 / MHLD6), or a single of other dual triode or pentodes such as, 6F8G, 6C8G, VT-96 / 6N7, miniatures: 6DJ8 / 6N23P, 12AU7 / E88CC and ECC88. Maybe EL32 and EL11 (which may need to be dual). Topping off the meter design it occurred to us that the amp best have the standard mA meters as well as voltmeters to facilitate warning of any dying tubes, so in all it will have 4x meters - 2 on the front, 2 on top and two small multiturn knobs (trimmers) on the top.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2021 at 12:18 AM Post #1,015 of 7,457
Now onto the question that must be languishing in the back of all our minds - just how does the Infinity sound different than the former Oblivion and Citadel? This one's for you Tomas because you're the only one in the world with one. Please do feel free to answer any of these: How does the soundstage compare? Low end fullness / authority and speed? Upper extension / quality? Detail? Realism (how lifelike does it sound in comparison)? From what I gather it's a more 'tubey' or harmonic saturated sound than the former which can also change depending on the tubes in use, but these would be highly interesting to read about; no need for an elaborate evaluation, just your basic opinion on these.

As well, the factor of amp burn-in can make a huge difference on amps, so if you don't mind to mention about how many hours does your 'new baby' have on it? Further as I've recently discovered the "feet" absorption material can actually make a solid difference under the amp, something I will experiment with later vs. the existing ones.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2021 at 1:56 AM Post #1,016 of 7,457
I've dealt with plenty hi-fi companies over the years but my experience with him could be the best.

A lot to be excited with what you wrote DL but I chose to quote the above. Tomas is indeed a marvellous person to deal with. I can't recommend him highly enough. Almost instantaneous response to any of my questions. :)

Also what you're about to get sounds superb with the many variety of tubes you can use, not least my favourite the Telefunken EL12 spez of which I have 5 NOS pairs in original boxes and no don't ask me to sell it because it's not for sale. :) I want this to be the Auris Nirvana contender or perhaps even better than that. A recent trip to Minidisc, my local downtown head-fi shop allows me to sample Audeze LCD-4 with Auris Nirvana and I ended up staying several hours, not wanting to go home. Bass with seismic waves and with the effect of subwoofer (ok I exaggerate but just a bit). It was truly the the most liquid, syrupy and impact laden tone I've experienced. Despite the warmth, clarity and details are exemplary and soundstage is great.

Sorry don't want to take the gloss off Infinity but I'm sure Tomas's new creation will be more outstanding and obviously cheaper than the 10 grand Nirvana. :wink: Pocket the change and get a Abyss ab 1266 phi TC or a Susvara to go with Infinity. :)

IMG_1563.jpg

Jan 12, 2021 at 2:56 AM Post #1,017 of 7,457
Topping off the meter design it occurred to us that the amp best have the standard mA meters as well as voltmeters to facilitate warning of any dying tubes, so in all it will have 4x meters - 2 on the front, 2 on top and two small multiturn knobs (trimmers) on the top.

It is a very interesting amplifier you are waiting for and I am directly interested in your findings related to tube rolling. I do not like to make waves but the reason is that I will be the first owner of an Eternity. The smaller brother of Infinity, operating at different (lower?) voltage points but with the same tube rolling principle as Infinity. Eternity will be a very special amplifier for me since it will accomodate the 6V6 outputs and 2 x 6J5 + 1 x 6SN7 inputs and I am sure it will have many other orders after it will be finished. But the single/dual triodes will not run in parallel, there will be an input switch. However, from what I understood from Tomas all three will light up even if the one not selected as input will not have the plate and grid connected. The reason I am posting is that I want to ask you regarding the mA meters from which you will be warned about dying tubes. It is not clear for me how this mechanism works. As far as I know you measure the plate current during operation and you expect it to have a constant value. When a tube starts to create problems the current goes lower/higher and at that time you stop the amplifier and remove it? I think the mA meter is more for checking if the bias setting was correctly done and I am not sure if it will show signals of aging tubes. More than this, I have no idea what impact has a dying tube on the circuitry and if there is a risk to damage the amplifier using problematic ones.

PS1. Tomas is indeed incredible. I think his day has at least 36 hours there in the North to be able to work and also answer to all our questions.

PS2. I made extensive notes of my findings and also Tomas explanations. When needed I will post all of them in an organized form to help other understand what is Eternity, tube compatibility and how it works. In this way I will repay my debt to Tomas who lost time explaning them to me and also help the community to understand better this product.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2021 at 3:12 AM Post #1,018 of 7,457
Congrats to both of you. Infinity and Eternity. My Oblivion is only a year old. I wasn't wrong in my review then that Tomas's amps will take off and it did. Now I have buyers in Australia who wants my Oblivion. :)

Jan 12, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #1,019 of 7,457
WOW.. what a great way to start the New Year sonic :).

Maybe a deluxe version with gold knobs coming soon :wink:.

Could you summarise the differences in architecture between the Infinity and the Eternity, and the Infinity and Oblivion?

Jan 12, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #1,020 of 7,457

Yes absolutely, no need if you've got 5W of good clean power. My friend has 8W and it is deafening after a quarter turn on the volume pot. Similarly with my 3.5W Miniwatt and 87db speakers I can't turn the knob all the way round without wakening half the street!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back