Oblivion | UltraSonic Studios
Nov 24, 2022 at 3:40 AM Post #6,800 of 7,481
Tomas, you have 6 more days to display the 'new' Telemachus. :k701smile: Excitement bounds for me.
Unfortunately, due to some health issues it’s going to be somewhat delayed. It’s mostly done but as of now I can’t really work on it much.

Nov 25, 2022 at 5:29 AM Post #6,802 of 7,481
The day that Enleum amp-23R came for a visit. I had known very little about this amp. Neither the price or what I was expecting. Of course there is the thought, how will it compare to Odyssey. For the purpose of this short comparison, Yggdrasil is the dac and Susvara is the headphone. Cable is a custom made pure silver that my friend made himself. He's getting good at this art.

With no expectatons from the Enleum, my reaction on first listen with Susvara is wow. This is easily the best solid state headphone amp I've ever heard and it drove Susvara with ease. Volume is not even at 12 oclock. Clarity is superb and soundstage is wide. As wide as I would like it. There's also a pitch black background that just makes the music pop out. I was listening to Keith Don't Go by Nils Lofgren and the guitar sound is supreme. On Jennifer Warnes' Rock You Gently from the Hunter album, it was sheer pleasure to listen to. I wouldn't call this amp warm, neither would I call it bright. It has lovely timbre and tonally it's like it has some tube DNA.

Switching to Odyssey with the same songs and I had to smile that Odyssey went head to head with Enleum for sheer clarity and details. However now I'm getting real 3D presentation and the texture is swooning. Mid bass and lower bass are also presented better on Odyssey. As much as I like what I hear from Susvara out of Enleum, I just like it much more with Odyssey. Therein lies my firm belief that Susvara needs a tube amp and not just any tube amp. :wink:

FWIW, Enluem is much much better that Sparko Ares, Burson Soloist 3xp, Phonitor X, Auralic Taurus Mk2 and Violectric v281. Of course after I have done my listening then I google to find out the price because my friend wouldn't tell me. :) https://jaguaraudio.com/product/enleum-amp-23r/

That's ok. It don't matter. I still prefer Odyssey with Susvara and there's Telemachus coming, which should be very interesting.

IMG_5325.jpg

Nov 25, 2022 at 5:44 AM Post #6,803 of 7,481
So while I was testing out Enleum amp-23r, I also took the time to compare Psvane EL34PH vs Philips Miniwatt EL34 metal base.

On first listen, the Psvane sounded astonishingly clear and I was impressed. It is really not bad at all. However once I got the Miniwatt EL34 metal base into Odyssey, it is very obvious I was comparing expensive red wine with the cheaper ones. :) What did I really expect? $200 for the pair of Psvane vs the $1000 Miniwatt EL34 metal base. I could convince myself that the Psvane is just as good but I can't. There's an unmistakable smoothness in NOS EL34 that will do your ears a lot of good in long listening session. Timbre and tone is where NOS EL34 shine and no current production EL34 can come close.

Picture of the Psvane EL34PH in Odyssey.
IMG_5324.jpg

Nov 25, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #6,804 of 7,481
The day that Enleum amp-23R came for a visit. I had known very little about this amp. Neither the price or what I was expecting. Of course there is the thought, how will it compare to Odyssey. For the purpose of this short comparison, Yggdrasil is the dac and Susvara is the headphone. Cable is a custom made pure silver that my friend made himself. He's getting good at this art.

With no expectatons from the Enleum, my reaction on first listen with Susvara is wow. This is easily the best solid state headphone amp I've ever heard and it drove Susvara with ease. Volume is not even at 12 oclock. Clarity is superb and soundstage is wide. As wide as I would like it. There's also a pitch black background that just makes the music pop out. I was listening to Keith Don't Go by Nils Lofgren and the guitar sound is supreme. On Jennifer Warnes' Rock You Gently from the Hunter album, it was sheer pleasure to listen to. I wouldn't call this amp warm, neither would I call it bright. It has lovely timbre and tonally it's like it has some tube DNA.

Switching to Odyssey with the same songs and I had to smile that Odyssey went head to head with Enleum for sheer clarity and details. However now I'm getting real 3D presentation and the texture is swooning. Mid bass and lower bass are also presented better on Odyssey. As much as I like what I hear from Susvara out of Enleum, I just like it much more with Odyssey. Therein lies my firm belief that Susvara needs a tube amp and not just any tube amp. :wink:

FWIW, Enluem is much much better that Sparko Ares, Burson Soloist 3xp, Phonitor X, Auralic Taurus Mk2 and Violectric v281. Of course after I have done my listening then I google to find out the price because my friend wouldn't tell me. :) https://jaguaraudio.com/product/enleum-amp-23r/

That's ok. It don't matter. I still prefer Odyssey with Susvara and there's Telemachus coming, which should be very interesting.

IMG_5325.jpg
Enleum is such nice amp for SS, but for me Susvara love tubes. Either Telemachus or Oblivion is my preferable choice (easily).

Nov 25, 2022 at 3:32 PM Post #6,805 of 7,481
Enleum is such nice amp for SS, but for me Susvara love tubes. Either Telemachus or Oblivion is my preferable choice (easily).

Ah ha, someone did agree with me.

This is what I said.
Therein lies my firm belief that Susvara needs a tube amp and not just any tube amp.

Nov 26, 2022 at 4:30 AM Post #6,806 of 7,481
26th Nov 2022 something happen that lift my listening experience even more. Today I reinstated Roon because they made me an offer I cannot refuse. $2 for 3 months subscription, thereafter revert back to yearly subscription. So I gave them my $2 and viola.... the first song was magic ! It's a japanese song. :) Roon does sound so much better plus I have my own flac files and all of Qobuz all in one place, controlled by Roon. Tempted to bring in Tidal again but I ain't giving them my money yet unless they offer me a deal like Roon.

I bought this CD in Japan in 2010 and I'm in love with it ever since. No idea what she is singing but sounds good !
RoonShareImage-638050907404677149.png

Secondly, I started using Telefunken ECC801s (driver) and Telefunken EL156 (power) again. My my, I had forgotten how good these EL156 power tubes are. Takes Odyssey further to the side of neutral but the tube tones is oh so special. There's more power from these tubes compared to KT88 and that says a lot because KT88 ain't no kitten.

So here's Odyssey on a Sat night somewhere down under, lit up by the southern cross stars.

IMG_5327.jpg

The Southern Cross stars. :relaxed:
391px-Southern_Cross_(Australia_Flag.svg.png

Nov 26, 2022 at 5:26 AM Post #6,807 of 7,481
26th Nov 2022 something happen that lift my listening experience even more. Today I reinstated Roon because they made me an offer I cannot refuse. $2 for 3 months subscription, thereafter revert back to yearly subscription. So I gave them my $2 and viola.... the first song was magic ! It's a japanese song. :) Roon does sound so much better plus I have my own flac files and all of Qobuz all in one place, controlled by Roon. Tempted to bring in Tidal again but I ain't giving them my money yet unless they offer me a deal like Roon.

I bought this CD in Japan in 2010 and I'm in love with it ever since. No idea what she is singing but sounds good
I like Chinese/Japanese, and Eastern music in general too. How about this version of All Along The Watchtower:
I think she's Korean.

Nov 26, 2022 at 9:09 AM Post #6,809 of 7,481
I like Chinese/Japanese, and Eastern music in general too. How about this version of All Along The Watchtower:
I think she's Korean.

LOL! All Along The Watchtower is a Jimi Hendrix tune, not Bob Dylan. Good 'ol YouTube. 🤣

Nov 26, 2022 at 10:00 AM Post #6,810 of 7,481
LOL! All Along The Watchtower is a Jimi Hendrix tune, not Bob Dylan. Good 'ol YouTube. 🤣
THE definitive version LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back