Oblivion | UltraSonic Studios
Nov 17, 2022 at 10:58 PM Post #6,781 of 7,481
I have used both speakers and headphones equally but for pure unadulterated ear pleasure, nothing beats Odyssey moving the invisible stealth magnets of Susvara.

Nov 17, 2022 at 11:53 PM Post #6,782 of 7,481
One of the rare times these days listening to headphone. I am playing 'Bird on a Wire' by Jennifer Warnes, Famous Blue Raincoat 20th Anniversary 24K Gold Edition CD.

I wanted to blast it with Odyssey but the most I could get the volume to is at 1pm. Anything more could be carnal damage. :)

An experience I will cherish because what I am hearing out of Susvara is insanely musical, punchy and solid !

IMG_5304.jpg

Nov 18, 2022 at 2:17 AM Post #6,784 of 7,481
One of the rare times these days listening to headphone. I am playing 'Bird on a Wire' by Jennifer Warnes, Famous Blue Raincoat 20th Anniversary 24K Gold Edition CD.

I wanted to blast it with Odyssey but the most I could get the volume to is at 1pm. Anything more could be carnal damage. :)

An experience I will cherish because what I am hearing out of Susvara is insanely musical, punchy and solid !

For another unique and beautifully recorded take on Leonard Cohen, try Joel Frederiksen as below. It is sonic delight on quality headphones through a great tube amp, Euforia AE in my case, Odyssey for you:

Folder.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2022 at 4:00 AM Post #6,785 of 7,481
When your setup is reasonably good, a good recording on any format will really shine. This Hell Freezes Over on JVC xrcd extended resolution is an example. How did a band get so many good singers? Listening to Love Will Keep Us Alive sung by Timothy B. Schmit.

Schmit.jpg

IMG_5308.jpg

Nov 19, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #6,787 of 7,481
This morning listening session and choice of tubes. Odyssey gives me a choice of which tubes to roll. It's limitless and after one year, I'm still amazed that all combination sound stellar. 20th Nov 2022 and so close to Black Friday and Christmas. Have a splendid day !

Tubes in attendance - Telefunken ECC801s (on the box I wrote ECC081s :rolling_eyes:), GEC KT66 and Sittard 5AR4 / GZ34.

IMG_5315.jpg

Listening to Bruce Springsteen - Only the Strong Survive. In particular this song - Nightshift. Remember this song by the Commodores, sung by lead singer Walter Orange as a tribute to Jackie Wilson and Marvin Gaye both of whom died in 1984.

Bruce-Springsteen-Only-The-Strong-Survive-Orange-Vinyl-Album.png

Nov 19, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #6,789 of 7,481
Nov 22, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #6,792 of 7,481
Nov 22, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #6,793 of 7,481
Tell me more about these Monolith transformers

I'm a rookie. Only knew about them because Tomas one day sounded out to me about using Monolith instead of Sowter because of the incredibly long wait times for the latter's transformers.

This is their website. They are based in Belgium and started by Dr. Ward De Ceuninck and Yves Pexsters.
https://www.monolithmagnetics.com/about

Tomas Mayer (VinylSavor) does use Monolith transformers but like all good tube amp builders, they use others as well. He wouldn't be drawn on who is better because they are all respectable and well known transformers builders.

I still think that Sowter is incredible in it's contribution to how Odyssey sound but of course we know that transformer in itself does not make the amp wonderful sounding. It's the designer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back